grapevinedave

Polaris RZR 800 and tilt trailer (couple questions)

I bought a RZR 800 and a 5X10 tilt trailer and have a couple questions. Putting the buggy on the trailer forward is exactly balanced on the wheels. Should I back the buggy in to give it a little tongue weight or is it ok to have minimal tongue weight when towing?

Also, was looking into putting all terrain tires on the trailer. They are 205/75/15's and there are a couple companies that make an all terrain tire that size. Have any of you done this and is it worth it to change them out from standard trailer tires? 

Any advice would be appreciated.

For the tongue weight, you want 10-15% of the loaded trailer weight -- Critical not to have that or you will end up on the nightly news as a bad crash.  There are all kinds of demo videos with toys on a treadmill where they move the sliding weights forward to the rear with catastrophic results.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Big Tub said:

For the tongue weight, you want 10-15% of the loaded trailer weight -- Critical not to have that or you will end up on the nightly news as a bad crash.  There are all kinds of demo videos with toys on a treadmill where they move the sliding weights forward to the rear with catastrophic results.  

Thanks for the response. Looks like it will be backed on the trailer to put the heavy end of the buggy towards the tongue. I think that will more than accomplish the needed forward weight.

• Like 1

I wouldn't bother with AT trailer tires, that's what the Razor is for...  Have fun!

I like thise older rzrs. Mines a 2012 900 and tye thing goes anywhere I want it to.

One suggestion, have a new spring kit and the shocks revalved. If you're in Tucson, Jtech motorsports is the guy. A wonderful $1500 investment. 

20 hours ago, grapevinedave said:

Thanks for the response. Looks like it will be backed on the trailer to put the heavy end of the buggy towards the tongue. I think that will more than accomplish the needed forward weight.

20 hours ago, Big Tub said:

This is great advice. You definitely want the tongue weight or your trailer will sway back and forth. It is dangerous like Bigtub is saying and it heats your trailer tires up which will cause all kinds of problems. If there is any sway at all you need to make adjustments. Typically increasing tongue weight corrects it. A couple of other things to consider are not to run your trailer tires for more than 5 years. If the date is 2019 or older(listed on the sidewall) I would replace them. They can have lots of tread on them but the AZ heat is very hard on tires and it isn’t worth ruining your weekend or worse by running tires that are weather cracked and can fail anytime. My guess is that your 5x10 trailer is a single axle, so a couple of new tires will run you a couple of hundred bucks and you will be set for 4-5 years. Trailer tires or LT tires will be just fine for you. Keep them inflated to max or close to max pressure and either should give you good service. Limit your speeds to whatever the tires are rated for (typically listed on the sidewall as well)and you will avoid lots of headaches on your trips. Enjoy your side by side and have fun! 

• Like 2

Thanks for responding. It is a 5X10 tilt bed trailer and will get a new set of tires. They are 8 years old. Watched a couple youtube videos that showed weight distribution front and back. Will definitely have some tongue weight. 

Note that on trailer tires, most have a max speed rating of 65 mph.  Goodyear Endurance have something like 83 mph but they are pricey.  Discount Tire recommends changing them every 3-4 years, which is what I do on our Travel Trailer.  I recycle the old one onto the quad/utility trailers.  I try to keep the tire covered and/or inside with the trailer on stands to keep the weight off.  I have not had a failure of the Endurance but I have plenty with Carlyle, Green Ball, Goodyear ??? which have been discontinued.  

• Like 3

On 5/5/2024 at 7:50 AM, Big Tub said:

Interesting on the demo videos on treadmills. Gonna have to check them out

I would and do run light truck tires on my trailers. Like big tub said, trailer tires are not speed rated over 65 and most at 55. That's why you see a bunch of blow outs on the freeway with trailer tires cause they are  going  85 everywhere. Not saying that's safe. But if you have the right tires that are speed rated for it you can do so without a blow out.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HyNoon said:

I would and do run light truck tires on my trailers. Like big tub said, trailer tires are not speed rated over 65 and most at 55. That's why you see a bunch of blow outs on the freeway with trailer tires cause they are  going  85 everywhere. Not saying that's safe. But if you have the right tires that are speed rated for it you can do so without a blow out.

Kinda the direction I was leaning. They aren't terribly expensive and the rig isn't that heavy. The whole reason I was asking is because I've seen a bunch of blown trailer tires out where we hunt and think there has to be a better option. Saw some offroad tires on a small fold out camper at an outdoor show and thought I would ask if that's a good idea. 

• Like 1

I don't think it's the trailer tires that are the issue, it's the lifted chevy with the vortex sticker going 80 that pulling it that is the cause.  Sorry bowtie guys - go get 'em 

12 hours ago, grapevinedave said:

Kinda the direction I was leaning. They aren't terribly expensive and the rig isn't that heavy. The whole reason I was asking is because I've seen a bunch of blown trailer tires out where we hunt and think there has to be a better option. Saw some offroad tires on a small fold out camper at an outdoor show and thought I would ask if that's a good idea. 

You won’t be disappointed with new truck or new trailer tires as long as you keep them inflated to max or close to max. The biggest reasons you see lots of blown tires on trailers are the tires are too old and they didn’t check the pressures before they took off or people are driving too fast. If you take care of them, either should serve you well. 

• Like 1