Sign in to follow this  
UggRedBilly

What is this rifles value?

Went with my buddy to purchase a rifle today. We got a Winchester Model 70 lefthanded and it shoots 7mm STW which I never heard of the cartridge. Got it for 350$ my buddy was wondering what it was in the ballpark value wise. Here is a few photos too!

20240520_145723.jpg

20240520_102543.jpg

20240520_145728.jpg

20240520_145725.jpg

• Like 3

Very good deal.  My dad bought me one exactly like it but right handed for my 12th birthday.  It’s killed in the triple digits of big game animals.  Great rifles.  They’ve got some collector value to them as well.  It would bring around a grand on gunbroker I would bet. 

• Wow! 1

Good looking rifle. Your buddy did well 👍

• Like 1

7 STW  Shooting Times Western, some gun hack back in the 80's or 90's took an large case and necked it down to 7mm. Rumored to be a top of the line barrel burner.  Was this rifle originally chambered for it, or is the original chambering stamped out and 7mm STW next to it? Looks like a New Haven model 70, that even if the barrel is toast, your bud still got a good deal. Should be worth 1000-1200 with an online sale. Just my two cents.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, 10Turkeys said:

7 STW  Shooting Times Western, some gun hack back in the 80's or 90's took an large case and necked it down to 7mm. Rumored to be a top of the line barrel burner.  Was this rifle originally chambered for it, or is the original chambering stamped out and 7mm STW next to it? Looks like a New Haven model 70, that even if the barrel is toast, your bud still got a good deal. Should be worth 1000-1200 with an online sale. Just my two cents.

It is the original caliber. Also was made in New Haven CT. Says it on barrel! I tested the bore at the sellers house and it's in amazing condition. The rifling is almost flawless too. No worn out parts or anything. Small stock scratches but is in amazing condition!

• Like 1

Did the seller seem sketchy at all? Like he might be going to buy some crack with the $350 he got for dad's $1200 rifle kind of thing? That's an insane price. Good buy.

2 hours ago, Coues247 said:

Did the seller seem sketchy at all? Like he might be going to buy some crack with the $350 he got for dad's $1200 rifle kind of thing? That's an insane price. Good buy.

He's actually a Coworker of ours and I am new to these types of rifles myself so when he offered to sell it, I bought it for it's classic look. Then my bud RedBilly told me what it was lol 

The action alone is worth 2 or 3 times (in that caliber the barrel may very well be toast as others have said) what you paid for the rifle, the action is already opened up for 375 H&H length cartridges...

3 hours ago, Coues247 said:

No. They seller was my buddy from work! 

4 minutes ago, UggRedBilly said:

No. They seller was my buddy from work! 

Dang, I need to get some buddies like that. 

• Like 1

It's up on Classified for 1200 OBO. Also willing to trade for a nice hunting rifle for elk, or something that's a blast to shoot for fun. 

He realized this morning how hard it is to find and how much it cost to shoot and now he doesn't want it anymore lol. 

• Haha 1