Sign in to follow this  
TEmbry

What to look for terrain wise...

OK guys, I am starting in on the research for my Coues hunt coming up next winter. I realize nothing beats in person scouting, but this likely isn't an option coming from KY...and I don't expect to be fed perfect spots by a silver spoon either...so my next best bet is pouring over aerials and topos.

What should I look for as far as areas that should hold Coues? Slopes facing which direction? What elevation? Steep terrain or more gentle sloping hills?

I want to try and pre pick a few areas before I head out there to make the learning curve on foot a little shorter, but am confused on exactly what to look for.

You might think about looking at sat. photos as well like google earth. You can get a sence what the vegitation is like and maybe find a water hole thats not named on a map. as well as posible roads.

I've been into Topos for years and hate going in the woods without one. I'd say 8 times out of ten I can pick out likely Bedding, water, & feeding areas and Locate whatever i'm lookin for. But the only sure way is to be out there in it. Hikeing, reading sign, Glassing and of course shed hunting. That's also the biggest weapon in my shed hunting arsenal, a good topo. My friend that makes my shed hunting look like child's play never uses them though, so to each his own. But I'll tell ya this. He was going to this honey hole some old timer told him about for years, and absolutely scoring on sheds.Upon aquireing the secret name of the place and locating it on our topo I'd printed up for the trip it became evident. The actuall place the old timer told him about was ten miles north :o !! So we went to the real location and saw the herd of bulls the old man spoke of. 25 bulls strong :o !!! at the end of Feb, and were lucky enough to get on them in their bedding area. Never got a chance to go back yet, but it's 12 miles from any road and I think there will be some sheds laying there come aprill. I'll let you know. If all goes well 25 bulls make 100 antlers in 2 seasons................... We should come up with one or two :rolleyes: .Well im just rambling on, I'll let you know.

Ohh yeah, Moral being I used the map to find the " secret legend" heard of bulls the old man spoke of. Very Handy, a good map.That's for sure! And some time on google pre scouting and even printing up the image to take afield is a huge advantage.

+1 on Chef's suggestion!

Also stick close to this site over the coming months! Good information and advice to be found browsing these pages....

Good luck!

S.

:)

Thanks for the suggestion chef..just ordered it.

I will read it before asking any more newbie questions.

Give me a few weeks and I am sure I will be asking something else. :rolleyes: ;)

I'll also be watching for any tidbits posted up over the next couple of months.

Welcome to the site Trevor. You picked the best web site for coues info that exist. Good luck on your draws and hunting here in Az. :D

TJ

Perhaps you already read the Coues deer habitat section on the main site, but if you haven't there is some good info there: http://www.coueswhitetail.com/coues_biolog...eer_habitat.htm

I am like AZAntlerhead and kind of obsessed with studying topos and feel naked in the woods without a topo! It can be pretty easy to pick out what is the best deer habitat by looking at a topo. And I will reiterate what Steven said about water being the key. I look for a place away from roads and with a couple reliable water sources. I love places that have a several springs scattered in a couple square miles. You just know deer will be there.

And of course it all depends on what you like for terrain to hunt in. Some like it rough, some like it flat. Coues deer are in both and everything in between. As far as elevation, a general rule of thumb is between 4-6,000 ft.

Amanda

Strange that I had to order a forest service map from NM, for an area in AZ. That done, I will scour the map as I do all maps that I have. My wife and I have made arrangements to make the 9.5 hour drive in mid March and make a 4 day weekend turn into a scouting foray. Don't think i should purchase a topo until I can drill it down a little more. Perhaps the hotel owner can point his finger a little also. 8^). The state sites site where Redrabbit advised me to go was amazing in the information it disclosed in telling me where to go. I have been on so many archery/hunting related sites in my years and this is by far one of, if not the nicest one I have been on. I have yet to see anywhere on this site the petty bickering that can and does take place that is exceptional. perhaps i have stumbled on a website where everyone logged in except me is related to each other.................scary huh. :P

Butts,

Hey this is Arizona we are all at least 2nd cousins. The GF web site info is real solid and could lead you to some very productive spots!

Welcome to the site.

Bob

Dont know if its worth it to you but Duwane Adams did a map service for me on my first Kaibab hunt last OCT. I had never been to Kaibab or harvested a mule deer before I shot one within a mile of where he told us to look. Not sure if he does this for Coues hunts but he definately knows the units. He is on the guide pages off home pg. PS my hunting partner also tagged on that hunt very close to the locations he told us to hunt.