Sign in to follow this  
CouesWhitetail

My 2005 HAM hunt

David,

Although javelina primarily have their young during the summer months, they can breed year round. So it's not really unusual to have found that baby ready to be born. The herd that I got my javelina out of had a tiny one with them. Luckily I didn't get it's mother.

Amanda

I talked to a friend of mine Friday that went out on a hunt with another hunter and he said that his buddy had shot a pig with a baby inside. He said it looked like it was probably ready to have the baby anytime. I have never seen this before at this time of the year. Anybody ever had this happen before? David

AZhuntnut, yes I shot a javelina during the archery hunt baout 10 years ago that had unborn twins. My friend's son shot one last year that was also pregnant. Also, have pics of little "reds" from December.

I was told they can give birth any time of year.

Amanda,

Congrats on the pig! From the looks of her teeth and the condition of the liver, it sounds like you did her a favor! What was her body condition like?

Kevin

Her body condition was pretty good. She didn't have a lot of fat, but neither did the young boar that my friend got. She looked really healthy otherwise. Her stomach was very full when I got her, so she was eating fine. So other than that liver, everything seemed normal.

Amanda

Thank you for the pics of the teeth from your pig. I also find it very interesting.

I shot a cow elk a few years ago and while fielddressing her I thought I might have hit her in the stomach because I found a lot of black grainy stuff. The stomach was intact and the hit was farther forward. It ended up being the liver, it was really grainy or sand like, but no hard stuff. Just strange :huh: . We figured that the .50 cal muzz just did a great job. The cow looked very healthy and not especially old.

:ph34r:

Where did you hit her? Did you get a pass through,etc..etc

:ph34r:

I ended up hitting her in the spine near the base of the skull and it went out the other side of the skull. Not exactly where I was aiming, but it killed her instantly. I didn't take the time to adjust for the fact that the gun was set to shoot 3 inches high at 100 yards. And hitting to the left must have just been caused by me rushing the shot. Anyway, I didn't hit any of her organs (except her brain) and so her internal organs were in pristine condition. Her lungs and heart and lower organs were all perfect. The liver had some whitish blotches on it that I thought were odd, but it wasn't until we were back at camp that I noticed the black sand. It did have hard bits in it like little rocks.

Interesting info on your cow elk liver with black sand in it. did you end up eating it? or was it too strange to keep?

Amanda

I can't believe you Amanda, wasting your time hunting a poor helpless javalina. HOW COULD YOU?!?!?! It wasn't hurting anyone or anything. My soul hurts for the little lady.

YA RIGHT!!! Great pig there sister. This green up has got me so jazzed I think I'll just help myself to an archery elk tag this year.

Here's a pic of a pig I helped a guy to down in 36C on Friday. One shot with his .250 at 100 yards and we were done. We saw plenty of whitetails down there and most of them were still rutting! I've never been down in that country that time of year, it was awesome!

Here's the piggins,

post-3-1109175835.jpg

Josh

I can show you some areas in 36 A and B that have in my opinion as many and as large Coues as anyplace. The doe population is nuts. I count as many as 100 on any given day. My hunt was Wet Wet Wet. Saw some of the best scenery big water falls. Lots of water. 36B. I was in the flats when they were on the hills. By time I got to the hills they were running from a couple boys from Idaho. Being an honest guy I did not radio my guys until I had helped them get theirs. good heard of 10 pigs. best I have seen in a while. Did notice a few strange things down near Warsaw Canyon. If you ahve been in that area let me know I am sure I was still on the US side. There is a RV.at the bottom of the canyon no road. It didn;t fall there thats for sure. Its near an old mine camp about 250 feet down in teh bottom of the canyon.

I know what you mean, down in 36B I've seen more deer sign than anywhere I've ever been before. Right on the border there were so many deer trails and rubs I couldn't believe it. I've hunted in A quite a bit too but the amount of illegals down there keeps me from going down there too much anymore.

Shooting hogs with a pistol is cheating :P . I killed this one with my bear hands after a short race and a wrassling match :lol: .

tusker.jpg

Just kidding, my T/C Encore in .223 did the job at 60 yards or so. Thanks for the tooth pictures. According to that this hog either had very good dental hygiene or was real young like 2-3 years or so. I always wondered how to age peccaries. We used to look at their knee pads and assumed if they were real wore down that they were old. That is what's cool about this site, learn something new almost everytime I drop by. :D

Bret M.

hey bullwidgeon, if you blow in a pigs nose it raises up their little ears and from that you can make a real good guess at their age. next time you shoot one, try it and tell me what it's little ears do and i'll tell ya how old it is. Lark.

Lark, I'll bet you if you blow real hard in the pigs nose BEFORE ya shoot um you might know if its a male or female, :P(Great info for all you boar hunters) :lol:

Lark that was hilarious! Bret, did that pig die on that rock? Boy I bet that was cool to watch.

Later goofballs

Yes Josh,

With his last breath he jumped up did a double half back gainer and sprawled out and died right on that rock, you smart@ss! You finding any fresh elk sheds yet? Pat and Royer said you have attained master pig guide status now after that last hunt, welcome to the darkside young Jedi.

Bret M.