Sign in to follow this  
Kilimanjaro

MUDZIMBA NZOU!!

Thats truly awesome Scott. Africa is a place all its own. Thanks for sharing the story and great pics.

Just remember, I don't know how to build a pedestal big enough for an elephant head ;)

Thanks a million guys!! I am still on cloud nine about the hunt for sure!

I'll try to answer a few of the questions asked about this hunt..

To take a managent bull within the designated safari areas of Zimbabwe creates the following:

1: it provides a LOT of rations to the park crew, warden staff, etc.

2: it provides a means to make money off a renewable resource. The money comes from the trophy fees and then auctioning off of the hide and ivory. 3X the money for them off of one animal.

To take a PAC ele in the communal lands is even MORE of a value to these people.

1: Again, the trophy fees go back into the community through the district council.

2: Again, they sell the leather and auction off the ivory to make revenue off of these byproducts of the hunt.

3. They get to retain their crops. Ele can do untold devestation to these small plots. Their crops are their livelyhood and only means to put food on the table.

4: And probably most important, it provides much needed PROTEIN to these people. I was the 1st hunter in the area since last Oct and they hadn't had much (if any) meat in the area since that time!! I had never seen happier people when they learned of our success in taking a couple of ele in the fields.

These hunts are diff from a true trophy hunt. A trophy ele hunt is a hunt in which the ele is judged by the size of his tusks before being taken. The hunter is provided with all the neccessary paperwork needed to import the ivory and hide of the ele he/she decides to take, should they find one. These hunts are very expensive. The hunt I went on was all about the hunt and that is it. All I got to keep was my pics and the memories of my hunt (and maybe a few ele hair bracelets.. shhh, dont tell them customs guys!!) ;) .

The ele pop. in Zim is drastically overpopulated. They are growing at a rate or 3% per year, even with hunting factored in. So to take a few bulls out of the herd does nothing but positive things for the area.

To give you an idea of the numbers of ele just in the Chirisa area, there will be over 100 management and cull elephant taken from this safari area in the next year alone. They are passionate about preserving their ele herds and have done a WONDERFUL job in doing so. They manage their herds by the books and it is paying off. I applaud them in doing so.

Amanda, being in the tent provides a great way to hear the African bush at night.. lots of hyena whoops, nightjars, etc. everynight.. All sounds that just SCREAM Africa!!

Willhunt, while it was great in providing much needed protein to all these folks, I can say for sure that I'm glad I didnt have to eat all that meat myself!! They said the cheek meat was the best cut, and we took a few fillets off of the 1st bull to grill and try. It was tough and GAMEY!!! If you can imagine taking a big bull elk in the middle of the rut, cutting the tenderloins out and then rolling them around in the bellyhide of the bull for 10 minutes, you'll get an idea of how elephant bull tastes!!! They love it, though!

I will be back ASAP (2010 to be exact!).... I have a score to setle with a BIG PAC bull and a bull hippo.

SPIRIT OF THE WILD- for sure- Really enjoyed the pics and story! Bet it's good to be home in the comforts of your home! Great story and Happy belated birthday!

AzP&Y

Doug

Congratulations on the bulls!! That looks like a really awesome trip. I was fortunate enough to hunt Zimbabwe back in 1992 and it was my favorite african hunt. If I am remembering correctly, my dad hunted Cape Buffalo in the Chirisa area in 1990.

Very cool Scott. Thanks for sharing the info with us and of course your awesome pics and story! What a hunt.....Awesome!

Phil

What an adventure! Excellent write up! A big congrats to you on fullfuilling your dream. Glad you made it back safely and thanks for sharing your story and pics!

-Tracy

Congratulations. I've been around hundreds of elephants but never had an opportunity to shoot one. Great story and photos. Thanks for sharing.

Bill Quimby

Again, thanks guys!!

Bill, I woulda figured you had an ele or 2 under the belt with all those safaris under your belt!

The closest I got to shooting an elephant was in Zimbabwe's Matetsi in 1983, when a cow charged our open Land Rover. I had my .458 in the vehicle, and was ready to shoot her after she had chased us for a quarter mile through a thicket. At one point in her chase, she was no more than 10 yards behind us and trumpeting. Lucky for her, we were able to reach a good portion of the two-track road and get away.

Incidentally, what's with "ele"? I know that's what some members of the AR forum call them, but as much as I'd like to get even with an elephant for its relatives scaring the poop out of me so many times, don't these big beasts deserve better?

Bill Quimby

Again, thanks guys!!

Bill, I woulda figured you had an ele or 2 under the belt with all those safaris under your belt!

The closest I got to shooting an elephant was in Zimbabwe's Matetsi in 1983, when a cow charged our open Land Rover. I had my .458 in the vehicle, and was ready to shoot her after she had chased us for a quarter mile through a thicket. At one point in her chase, she was no more than 10 yards behind us and trumpeting. Lucky for her, we were able to reach a good portion of the two-track road and get away.

Incidentally, what's with "ele"? I know that's what some members of the AR forum call them, but as much as I'd like to get even with an elephant for its relatives scaring the poop out of me so many times, don't these big beasts deserve better?

Bill Quimby

Simple... its alot faster to type. Kinda like cwt instead of typing out coueswhitetail... lazy? maybe.. more convinent? yes!

Again, thanks guys!!

Bill Quimby

Simple... its alot faster to type. Kinda like cwt instead of typing out coueswhitetail... lazy? maybe.. more convinent? yes!

Scottyboy. I apologize for being so picky, especially in a thread in which you are justifiably proud of your recent safari.

It's just that I've gotten crotchety and protective of our language as I've grown older. As someone who earned his daily bread by working with the printed word for more than a half century, it bothers me greatly when I see grown men write such things as "javi," "taxi," "whitey," "brownie," "Couesie," and who knows what other cutesy contraction they'll think of next.

When I was a boy Jack O'Connor wrote a column in Outdoor Life in which he complained that he got "the vapors" whenever he saw another outdoor or gun writer write "muley."

I now know what he meant.

Bill Quimby

Sorry it took me so long to reply compadre, buried to my eye balls in immigration law over here! (that stuff isnt easy!)

Anyways, what a trip! This makes me even more pumped for the trio of you, Hector, and myself to go next year! I can not wait!

Congrats!

I guess i need to get out of the plumbing work and run to join the border patrol. Casey has plans to go next time and he is still getting acadamy pay. Wait a minute what side of the border are you guys working for. HAHAHA Great Elephants Scotty.