Sign in to follow this  
ultramag

gona spend some cash

well i sold my other gun. and i want a new coues getter.but confused at all the choices 270wsm-243wssm-25wsmm-7mm saum-all look good on balistics,have any of you used them?i like the browning a- bolt guns but have had good luck with the mod 700s never looked at the winchesters,I need some real pros and cons.keep in mind that i will only use the gun as a coues or a lope gun no "elk"thats what my bow is for :angry: thanks for any info

i am gettin my 270 wsm tomorrow! i am looking forward to it, i think its gonna be a good gun. as of right now i am gonna top it with my 3-9x32 alpen but am looking at a 4-12x40 leupold or 3-9x40 zeiss conquest. i am going to shoot 140 grain accubonds form the 24 inch tube. the 25wsm looks interesting as does the 7mmsaum! good luck with you choice and let us know.

PS winchester has some nice looking model 70's that are camo stock and stainless barrel.

.i looking real hard at the 25wssm.mybee a little on the light side.

The 257 wssm would be a good choice, The 25-06 is a good round and the 257 wssm almost rivals it. I think the 270 WSM would be abetter choice, with 130's. Good velocity and plenty of bullet for either the deer or the antelope. 7 and 30 IMHO are heavier than you need for these small light framed animals, as is the 140 gn bullet in the 270WSM.. Having said that, I carry my 7mm Ultra Mag a lot, but mainly because it is such a good long range rifle, not because I think I need the power.

While the 25-06 has long been thought of as one of the best for antelope, I would consider the 257 Weatherby for strictly coues and speedgoats. Weatherby has hand picked the better shooting Vanguards (less than 1" groups), and put them in a tan, pillar bedded stock, and calling them the Vanguard MOA for about $599. One negative is that they have 24" barrel rather than the regular 26" of Weatherbys (lose 50-60 fps for those 2"). I think the regular Vanguards are $399, and come with a proof test target. The 257 will have less recoil than the 270 WSM and shoot flatter. If you don't reload, Weatherby factory ammo is expensive.

Comparing WSM's, the 300 WSM will shoot a 150 grainer as flat as the 270 WSM will throw a 130 grainer (near identical BC's at near identical velocities). But the 300 will have a little more recoil. If you shoot a 140 grain bullet instead of a 130 out of the 270, the 140 will drop a few more inches, but the 140 will drift a few less inches in the wind.

If you handload, another good choice would be the 264 Win Mag, but you might have to find a used rifle or rebarrel one. I don't think anyone is currently chambering this cartridge in a factory rifle.

A final thought is whether you want the extra recoil and blast of a magnum over the standard chamberings in order to get the extra reach. The standards will be easier to shoot well and more fun and cheaper to practice with. For example, the standard 270 Winchester with 130 grain BT @3000fps will drop 20", only 4" more than the 270 WSM with 130 @3300fps, which will drop about 16" @400 yards with a 200 yd zero. The 270 WSM will have about 40% more recoil than Jack O'Connor's 270. (I thinks Lark may be onto sumpin)

So, in a standard, I'd choose the 25-06. And in a magnum, the 257 Roy.

RR

I've done some research, and I plan on getting a Kimber in the 270WSM. You can get a ton of info at www.shortmags.org.

sounds like a good choice. after tinkering with my kid's wsm, i'm convinced the .270wsm is a real good cartridge and it's pretty much accepted that a kimber is a fine rifle. a bit 'spensive, but that's ok too. is it the model that is based on the pre 64 model 70? if so, then even better. i really like them ol' winchesters. just remember one thing. just because they call something a magnum doesn't automatically make it an elephant rifle. magnum is actually a size of wine bottle, if ya didn't already know that. the word magnum is the worst use of a term i've ever known. every new cartidge is called a magnum. they call the new .17 cal hornady rimfire a magnum. if you're gonna shoot big bullets, get a gun with a big bore. anything over 150 or 154 gr in a .270 or 7mm is useless. bullets are just too long to have much performance. too much barrel drag and too much pressure to get flat shooting velocity. if you feel you need a 165 or 180 gr, get a .30 cal. if you need a 200 gr or larger, go with a .338, etc. i think that the .270 is a very fine caliber, within it's own realm of efficiency. and almost any modern (in the last 75years) centerfire is about equal in trajectory out to 350-400 yards. where the hotrods really shine is after 400. and you best be marksman enough to hit at those ranges to take advantage of the extra range. just because the rifle will do it, doesn't mean you can. the weak link in shooting is always the shooter. just about any rifle is capable of shooting pretty good. Lark.

Great point(s) Lark!

:)

thanks for the imput.i have chosen the rem model 700 s.p.s 270WSM.its a short action rem stainless with syn stock.with a leupold VX=2 4-12 i hope it will make a nice coues gun with manageable recoil.

UM,

That rifle/scope combo will work well on coues and antelope. You made a good choice. I think you will like that Sims R3 recoil pad. Have fun practicing those long shots this summer.

Doug~Red Rabbit

my son's tikka kicked real hard. he put a simms on it and tamed it right down. it's a real light rifle and it was no fun at all too shoot. Lark.

i might rethink my choice as i was going to buy the rifle this weekend,mybe a browning a bolt in 25 wssm.that sucker is cool. but the 243 wssm is right in the ballistic coolness also with less recoil,and still pushes 3250fps at the muzzel,i dont think with any of these i can really go wrong for coues

make sure you pick a caliber that is going to be around. there are some of these short mags that are gonna be short lived. nothing wrong with .25 caliber, but it has never been a real popular bore size. i've read a little on the balistics and it's pretty hot, but is it gonna make the grade? there are so many of these new short mags being literally dumped on the market that some of them are going to go away. whatever the next craze is will wipe a bunch of em out. you'll still be able to buy brass i'm sure. at least something that you can resize. but i don't know about factory ammo. just something to think about. Lark.