Not sure exactly what category this falls under, but gonna give it a fling.

Any of you out there wear hearing aids while you hunt? And I am talking serious junk here, I am not talking about some sci-fi system to help me hear the deer. I am talking, i have a hearing loss and want to decide what to do. My wife is gonna kick me in the tail if she has to keep repeating herself and I want to hear better. But I heard that hunting with hearing a hearing aid in your ears can be a nightmare.

Any brand suggestions??

It is a real pisser getting old..............first bi-focals now this mess..............

Not exactly a hearing aid, but I sometimes wear the Walker Game Ear. I now have 2, so I can wear them both while hunting and hopefully will hear a bit better than before when I was using a plug in one ear. I don't have bad hearing, I wear them to keep it that way.

KP

redneck,

I have been wearing hearing aids since I was 31 and I am now pushing 50, I wear them in both ears all the time. The only problem that I encountered was with my 1st set and wind noise, with all of the digital enhancements available today that is no longer a problem. The mistake that most people make when getting hearing aids is they pick them up and then do not like the sound level or fit and then put them in a drawer never giving the Audiologist a chance to correct. I suggest that you first find an Audiologist that you are comfortable with as you will need to make a couple of trips to have them adjusted to fit you daily life style, most Audiologist do offer a 30 day trail period.

Hope this is a little helpful

Phil

I have had bad hearing my whole life (32 now). I have high frequency hearing loss, some higher pitched tones I simply can't hear. Absolutely drives me nuts in noisy situations or if someone is a soft talker or is whispering not to mention how it drives my wife crazy. I can't imagine what I'm missing when hunting, I have countless encounters in the midwest where I turn around in my stand and there is a deer not 10 yards away. On my elk hunt last year, I just could not pick up the distant bugles and was having a hard time listening for cow calls. About 4 years ago I tried the walker's game ear when hunting. Not much of an aid, all they do is increase volume but it did help a good deal. Only used one, I would suggest to anyone who would try them to get two so you can tell from which direction the noise is coming from. I finally went to see about real hearing aids about 3 weeks ago, I ordered a pair and they will be in next week. They are expensive as all get out, and I was a little aprehensive because of the price, my philosophy was I got along o.k. without them, will they enhance my hearing enough to be worth it? After speaking with several people who use aids, they said they are worth every penny and you can't believe how much you miss out on. I hope they are right, there's no turning back now.

After years of not hearing the distant bulls I broke down and bought some. 'these are not cheap. I went to Costco and have not been disapointed. Makes my elk hunting experience complete. I am enjoying all of my hunts a lot more. Be prepared to spend some money though. Mine were $2,100 dollars and worth every penny. You have to get used to them but I recomend them. After 30 years of construction and heavy industrial work my hearing was terrible. No to mention shooting pistols without protection when I was younger. The people at Costco don't get paid a commision. They are very helpful. They will let you try a pair in the store to see if you like them, and don't pressure you to buy. They even come with a loss guarantee for one pair.

Hawkeye

If I was in your position (and I will be soon, just 40 don't need the bi-focal's yet), I would go see an audiologist. My ears ring all the time from many years of operating heavy equipment and shooting without hearing protection because I was to good for that. My wife gets pretty pissed having to repeat everything. My son is deaf and hunts with me. He misses quite a bit when we go out., and honestly has no idea how much noise he makes walking in the woods. Last year on his bull hunt we must have heard over 500 bugles one day, no kidding we couldn't even take a nap they wouldn't shut up. On the way home I asked him how many bugles he heard, he told me "5" and was thrilled. He wears his hearing aids while we hunt, and turns them off before he shoots. When he was younger we had it worked out that when I reached over and turned off his hearing aids it was alright to take a shot. I've damaged my ears beyond repair and a trip to the audiologist is in the near future.

--Bill

I have one and it alone cost $2500 10 years ago. I pulled the tether off of it and haven't got it fixed.

I spent the summers of 1969-70 competing in the metalicas siluetas leagues in Sonora, firing at least 40-50 rounds of .270 or .30-06 ammo every Saturday. This was before shooting muffs were sold at sporting goods stores, and everyone simply stuffed cotton in his ears.

Added to that, I also worked in the back shop of a newspaper where linotype and Ludlow machines and metal saws banged and screamed incessently and loudly.

As a result, my hearing is awful and it is getting worse as I grow older.

My wife gets angry when I keep asking, "What? What did you say?" She wants me to buy a hearing aid. However, not one of my friends who has one is happy with it.

Several of you seem to be happy with yours. What is the secret?

Bill Quimby

The trick is to find an Audiologist that you are comfortable with, as you will probably make more than one trip for adjustments. You need to be able to find one that "hears" what you can or cannot hear and understands when you tell them what is uncomfortable to you, or what sounds you hear well or you do not. You can buy the best Aids and hate them or you can get the run of the mill and be happy because the Audiologist works with you on the Fit and sound of the Aids, but if you are not willing to work and communicate it will not work. The set I have now cost me 5K and this is the 4th set over 18 years.

Phil

My hearing aids were the best purchase I have made in years. I have had them for two years and I wouldn't think of going hunting without them. My wife talked me into checking into them because she was tired of me saying "HUH" and "WHAT" all of the time. I made an appointment with the audiologist at the east Mesa Costco and they were great. They will check your hearing and find out what frequencies you are having trouble with in each ear. Then they will set up a pair for you to walk around the store with.

No one even knows I wear them. They are so small they look like the back of the earpiece of my glasses. Be prepaired to pay a lot. I paid $2,100 for them two years ago. I haven't had any problems at all with them. They will adjust them any time you need to, but I haven't had any trouble at all.

I thought about them for years but it took a couple of elk hunts with my boys to finally convince me. They would listen, then point then look at me and say "which direction was that bugle"? I would look at them and say "what bugle? I used them the last two years and I think I heard and located as much elk as they did. I finally get to use them for my elk hunt. I got lucky finally and drew a 3a-3c archery bull tag. I can't wait.

Hawkeye

My wife is an audiologist and she has told me that seeing an audiologist--and not a hearing aid dealer--is critical. The price of hearing aids varies considerably from clinic to clinic. She used to work at the Arizona State University Speech and Hearing Clinic. They are a teaching facility and they also fit hearing aids. You'll work with a student but you'll also always have a supervising audiologist who would oversee the entire process. Their prices are extremely reasonable and you wind up having an extremely thorough evaluation and fitting. If you have any questions, send me a pm.

My dad is an audiologist also. He told me one of the bigest issue he has with patients is that they sometimes have unreal expectations. You will never hear as good as you did before and some people get tiered of it and end up putting the hearing aid in some drawer were it does them no good.

i, too, have hearing issues... :( Glad you guys are talking about his.... I need to do something, but don't want to spend the money unless I can get the right stuff.... I want something that blocks the loud noises, like guns.... but really want to be able to tell which direction those far off bugles came from, again.... :(