haywire

My son's first turkey!! VIDEO ADDED!!

Well there was no way my boy was gonna go without hunting the juniors turkey hunt, and there was no way I was not going to take advantage of it!! We were sure excited to get out and see what we could do.

We had scouted several different areas and heard many different birds. We decided to start at a spot where we had six different toms going and we had figured out what they were doing.... or so we thought.

Friday morning we got to our spot early with a little bit of snow on the ground and it was cold! We got out of the truck and without any calling from us we heard him and his friends talking. We hiked in a ways to get setup where they were going to fly down and move through. It seemed like forever before he flew down, but when he did, he went the exact opposite way from where we though he was going to go!! We called a little at him but no luck. So we picked up the decoys and stayed on them. We caught up to them and saw our tom with a mess of hens and there was no way he was leaving them. We got on a couple of the other birds but no luck bringing them in.

After a little lunch and talking about the exciting morning, we were back in the same place that afternoon. We had decided to get into the spot that we knew they were feeding through on their way back tho the roost and see if we could catch them. We had no idea that things were about to get real exciting. We set up the decoys and got comfortable for what might be a long wait. Things were pretty quiet for about thirty minutes. Thats when I looked to our left and saw movement. Holy cow, here they come!! I told my boy to get his face mask on and get ready cause they were heading right for us. The tom he ended up shooting was coming first followed by four jakes and another tome that was in full strut a ways behind the group. They fed around for a little bit and I was starting to get a little nervous that they would not continue to the decoys. We had him at about 30 to 40 yards to our left for a while, but that put our camera man right in the line of fire!! He finally spotted the decoys, ran the jakes off and made a beeline for the decoys. I whispered to my boy that as soon as he got past the trees to shoot. He whispered that he was going to take him and he let the 12 guage fly and smoked him!! It was an amazing day and we could not have wrote it better in a book!! I am so proud of the little man and hunter he has become and cannot wait to get him out on his next adventure!!

Enjoy the pics. I am still figuring the video posting out, but it is coming!!

post-1504-1240273769_thumb.jpgpost-1504-1240274040_thumb.jpgpost-1504-1240274078_thumb.jpg

Richard

Great job guys your boy sure is becoming a hunting machine! Are you guys going to make it to Wapati Weekend?

Holy cow! That is one big turkey right there. Congrats. :)

TJ

Great job!!! Looks like a big turkey!!!