Sign in to follow this  
KGAINES

Any Ideas

Just caught in my yard and was wondering if someone can tell me what it is. Maybe a patch nosed snake

post-53-1241229708_thumb.jpg

That was what I thought too, but I live just north of Sun City/Sun City west, maybe it was going to retire.

When three boys come running in the house yelling snaaaake, and the oldest is 9, I had to hurry and take a look, no rattles and no rings, we caught it, it was a tree climbing sucker too, that is where we caught it, took a few pictures lat the kids check it out.

We did let it go.

Looks like a Western Patch Nosed snake, it has the extra smaller stripe down the sides. they live in your area where the Eastern patch nosed is only in eastern az.

And now it is for sale. :lol:

Cool! How Much :lol: JK, I just took a shot in the dark of what type it was.

Nope I had to let it go, my son wanted it, my nephew wanted it, and my neighbor wanted it, I let it go. My pictures didn't show the color like I wanted it to, seemed like the red stripes were really faded in the pics.

Cool western patch nosed snake!!!! I haven't seen too many of them! Thanks for posting the pics.

Mike

i have caught, kept, and killed Arizona snakes my whole life and i think that is first time i have seen one of those snakes. wonder if it would still taste like chicken. we have little worm looking snakes at relatives place off carefree hwy and 7th st. colors are odd and they like to live in concrete expansion joint by house 6-8 inches. i looked up and it was dirt snake, or earth snake, sand snake something vague like that. they look like good fish bait. MM

Cool snake. I didn't remember patch-nosed snakes having any pinkish color like yours shows, but they are probably pretty variable. Here are a couple pics of a road killed Eastern Patch-nosed snake I found during my WT hunt last year in NM.

post-1-1241275732_thumb.jpg

post-1-1241275755_thumb.jpg

Hoghntr,

I used to have those worm snakes at the home a grew up in. They would eat ants and such and come out of the concrete cracks or dividers at night on my back porch. I tried keeping one as a pet but he/she eventually died. Kind of cool little snakes. I'm sure they'd make fantastic trout bait.

Another snake I'd catch a lot of in my area were ground snakes. They get to be about a foot long max. They are a greyish to redish color and a lot of people mistakenly called them red-racers. I was able to keep them and breed them successfully. The baby's were like those worm snakes. I fed them crickets.

I also caught a cool looking night snake in my backyard under a board. It is very nocturnal with the slits for pupils like the rattlesnakes. It is a rearfanged snake which means it's fangs are located in the back of it's jaw and it chews on the mice or lizard before the lizard is hit with the poison. Mine was very docile so I held it without a problem. If one does chew on your finger and get's it's rear fangs into your skin, it would be the same a bee sting (provided you are not allergic).

My buddies and I would also hunt snakes by the verde river collecting Lyre snakes, coral snakes, long nosed snakes, whip snakes (aggressive), king snakes, gopher snakes (or bull snakes etc). We also would catch Rosy Boas not too far from hear. My buddy caught a really rare Green rat snake in southern AZ which are very very scarce.

It is cool to me that there are way way more non-poisonous snakes in AZ than poisonous. All we have to worry about are the rattlesnakes and the coral snakes which are pretty mild in temperment.

Cool pics of the patchnosed snake amanda. They look a little like whip snakes but without all that aggression!

Was stalking a buck last summer with Scout'm. I had almost sat on a big old rattler, and while I was on my stalk, I came across one of these bad boys right at my feet. I was on edge already so that lil SOB made me jump outta my skin! Cool snakes and they are fast too!