Coues 'n' Sheep

I'd like to hear your perspective....

So... we have hunted an area for quite some time, and it is truely in the middle of no-where. And I have been watching this particular water hole pretty hard for a couple of years... I am aquainted with several guys that have hunted at or around it for probably more than 20 years.... It Ain't No Secret.... It is on all the Forest Service maps and topo maps that I own. On the bank it had an old hole that looked like a salt dump that was abandond, so last year I added some salt to it.... upon returning this spring to put out my camera the old crater was under water due to how full the tank was so I moved salt up higher on the bank and set up a camera to see what was hitting the water. I have a decent cam that lasts on one round of batteries for as long as 60 days.... so I did not check it until this weekend only to find it had been dead for a couple of weeks already...lots of pics of wind blowing the trees. <_< ...and when I opened my lock box I found this little treasure tucked inside waiting for me.... :rolleyes:

post-996-1243824268_thumb.jpg

Now I am not sure how you might take this, but I kinda think we all own the forest. If I acted like this in the areas that I have hunted all my life, everytime I discovered another hunter was using MY spot, I'd probably got whooped or thrown in jail by now... :unsure: I'd have understood if this guy had simply said, "Hey, FIY, we plan to hunt here on the first or third (or whatever) weekend of this hunt and we don't want to mess you up or have you mess us up, so please give me a call. Thanks." That would have made perfect sense to me, anyhow..... :rolleyes:

So.... none the less I have wondered if I should get an attitude or just FUGGETABOUT IT!!!! See, the small town kid in me that grew up in this neck'o'the woods, says this guy doesn't even live or pay taxes in my county.... :huh: .... and I don't give a rip how long you think it is that you have called it your spot... Your Spot has ben considered A Spot to many old timers in the area long before you, or me.... and if you don't want me to sell my pictures and the GPS cordinates to the highest bidder... you might want to back up and be a bit more civil.... :blink: :rolleyes: Well... that was one thought that crossed my mind.... :blink: :rolleyes: :lol:

Anyhow.... here is a pic of the rig I figure these guys ride so if you know the name, number, or ranger in the pic... pipe up! ;)

post-996-1243825707_thumb.jpg

And I am pretty sure this is a pic of the guy that wrote the note...but ... I'm not sure. :o :rolleyes: :lol: :P

post-996-1243825788_thumb.jpg

:lol:

I do have to say that I respect the fact that they did not jack with my cam, but they also didn't want there faces on my cam either.... I did not go check to see if they had put a camera on a spot below that water hole where they obviously hunted before.... but I will next time just to be sure they know what my face looks like...cuz that is how I roll! ;)

What say you guys about a note like this??? :huh:

If the guy wants privacy he needs to pay thousands of dollars to hunt a private ranch or go to the Rez. IT'S PUBLIC LAND! SUCK IT UP!!!

At least they didn't mess with your stuff. Hope it stays that way.

I think a phone call would settle a lot things. Call him up and see how the conversation goes. Don't think he should have told you to remove your salt though, who does he think he is? But a lot of guys would have just torn up your camera, at least he just left a note.

Oh I am sure we will speak at some point.... however.... my reason for posting this is to educate.... we have far bigger problems than who's water hole it is.

It's hard to say, you need to call probably. I can read the note 2 ways, one he's kinda a smart butt and the other he is just saying the spot is already salted and producing and 'please' take the other salt out because it might mess up the mojo. Hard to tell in written words. He didn't mess with your cam or remove the salt himself and left a number, so I would give him the benefit that his note was friendly until discovered otherwise.

That spot looks familar.

Kent

Guest 300ultramag.

Nice! Who carries a pen and paper with em' anyways.

Pencil Pushers :lol:

Somewhat similar:

Up in 27 while looking at a tank I noticed a sign that had been posted at the waters edge. The sign had first and last name of a person who would be on that tank on this date in Dec for bull elk in a white GMC truck and that if he saw anyone else there would be "trouble". This was three years ago and needless to say I was not there looking for the "gentleman" on the given day. Funny thing the sign had his address in Texas, and I imagine that some of my neighbors might have shown him how we do things out here on public land.

Last year I found a water bottle with a note containing the same type info at a very busy tank, and I am thinking "Does this work?" if so I have a few "reservations" to make! I can't believe that there people out there with a MINE type of mentality on a piece of public space.

Give a call and see what the particulars are in this case, as stated above they could have delivered the message in a much rougher manner.

One: he made a mistake by demanding. Two: He made a mistake asking this to a person that knows the area better than he does. Three: he needs to read what public land means. Four: probably not the best thing to write when the game and fish are trying their best to shut the "baiting" down.

Gino, i would call him and start the conversation out as a couple hunters would--if his attitude dictates that you turn sour i would just let him know that if you decide to hunt the tank that you will hunt the tank and so will about a thousand other guys. People like this are the cause of all of our problems. Once we all can get along as hunters we may be able to fight the fight a little bit better.

Call him Gino--he left the number so that left the door open. Let us know how it goes.

Last year I found a water bottle with a note containing the same type info at a very busy tank,

Similar the the window stickers, I'm surprised that someone did not leave a reply by pissing in the bottle.

Gino,

Looks like even a good rain may cause the tank to rise and inundate your salt block. Nice thing about 2 or more salt spots together is if a couple of bucks come in together, they can each have their own lick. You could refer Chris to page 10 of the regs, and hunt the spot midweek to avoid the yahoos.

RR

hello -- Battle of the Waterhole- In years past I've seen stands with engraved dates /names etc. I've seen and heard of groundblinds being torn apart by tree standers and trees covered with unsanitary deposits. I've seen and heard of face to face confortations and have yet to witness a battle! Nobody owns sole /private hunting areas or spots. even though many may think so- I've even seen minor pissin matches about camping spots for hunting season - It's first come-first serve! getting their early doesn't mean you have exclusive rights to the spot either. we've been in blinds and tree stands waiting 2-3 hrs before prime shootingtimes , only to have other hunters barge in and try to set-up at the last second-so to speak . It's so that even the most remote places are getting overcrowded.

I say give chris a call and inform him - politely -that dispite his nice invitation to hunt someplace else that you also have plans to hunt this same area - at the same time - and go from there - Most hunters can get along but every now and then lines are drawn and the battles begin - good luck - the gauntlet has been thrown :lol: - Gary

I'd find another place to hunt.....the guy sounds really serious. If he's taken the time to salt it for 6 years apparently he it's rightfully his area. Even if it is public land he's enhanced it for the wildlife thus "giving" himself rights to hunt it. :blink:

I say we have A coueswhittail.com get together at the pond during archery season. We can camp next to the water ( like everyone else does) because obviously it is ok to do. We can have a big ol BBQ and picknic.

Gino if you're like me there are two things going through your mind. First, who does this SOB think he is and I'll show him where the little bear pooped in the forest! Second, oh well if there are going to be other people hunting this spot I don't want to be here anyway.

Move on. You've got better places to hang your stand than this one and it's not worth your tax money being used to throw you in jail after you clean this guys clock!

It’s a classic catch 22: if you move to a different spot then the guys who ‘reserve” public locations win, if you hunt it the negatives range from a spoiled hunt all the way to "battle of the waterhole".

Not to say that this is the case here, but in general I am finding more and more folks who do not share common courtesy of "fist come first serve" and respecting the other guys hunt as you want your hunt respected like: camping on water, showing up at shooting light on a quad. You all know the drill.