Sign in to follow this  
jeffd

Gila Monster

Jeff, I've been here for 30 some years and I've only seen two. Thanks for sharing. :)

TJ

We had one in our garage on Saturday. They seem to hang around our house?? My wife has seen one just about every other week. My guess is its the same one. He hangs out around our garden. I think he is eating the tomatoes but I don't mind he is pretty laid back.

Been here 24 years next month, only seen one! Go figure, the only one I have ever seen was about a week aftr we had a thread going here where I said I had never seen one!

I have seen literally dozens of them. Not all of them in Arizona either. I have seen about 5 or 6 in one area.

This one here was in the road and wouldn't move so I moved him off the side and into the bushes so he wouldn't get run over. I found one in the Superstition Mtns one time that was between 28" and 30" long. He is the biggest I have yet seen. I have found them clinging to rocks in raging whitewater where they got stranded when the water rose too. They seem to pop up just about anywhere, but about 3000' elevation seems to be the favorite haunt.

dennisandfriend.jpg

I was out by Kearny a couple of weeks ago and saw 2 of them about 5 minutes apart. :D

I've seen many over the past 60 years, and for the first five years after we had our swimming pool built it seemed as if I was constantly pulling drowned Gila monsters from the pool's skimmer. I don't know about the 3,000-foot level catclaw mentioned, but the place I used to see them more than anywhere else (especially after a rain) was the Willow Springs Ranch country north of Tucson.

Bill Quimby

I've seen many over the past 60 years, and for the first five years after we had our swimming pool built it seemed as if I was constantly pulling drowned Gila monsters from the pool's skimmer. I don't know about the 3,000-foot level catclaw mentioned, but the place I used to see them more than anywhere else (especially after a rain) was the Willow Springs Ranch country north of Tucson.

Bill Quimby

Bill,

I would like to pick your mind apart sometime. There is no doubt you have more stories than one could ever imagine. :)

TJ

They seem to pop up just about anywhere, but about 3000' elevation seems to be the favorite haunt.

+1

Az&Y

post-898-1245179192_thumb.jpg

I usually see 3 or 4 of them every monsoon season out in the Babo's while I'm at work .. Like catclaw said, I've seen most of them in the 3000 to 3500 elevation range..

I saw two in one day 2 yaers ago after not seeing one for about seven years. Pretty neat creatures!

SIDERACK and I were out sweeping the country for sheds a couple of weeks ago. The Gila monsters were definetly out. We saw several in one day of searching for sheds.