Sign in to follow this  
CouesWhitetail

Arizona Wildlife Federation awards

Hey All,

My husband and I were at the annual meeting and awards dinner for the Arizona Wildlife Federation up in the Flagstaff area last weekend. AWF is the oldest sportsmen's group in Arizona and this was there 86th annual meeting. They did it as a weekend campout with a Sunday work project to remove fencing and facilitate wildlife movement.

Anyway, my husband won the Conservation Volunteer of the Year award at the banquet for all the years of promoting the AWF's Becoming an Outdoorswoman (BOW) program. BOW aims to teach women outdoor skills such as camping, hunting, fishing, kayaking, etc. He has worked as a publicity guy for years and has used his skills to help get the word out about the BOW program. About 5 years ago, the BOW program was considering stopping the workshops because of low attendance. However, after Paul got involved with the PR for the workshops, attendance soared and we even went from holding two weekend workshops a year to having 3. Of course there are many other people who helped the program grow, but Paul was able to get BOW featured in all the major papers as well as getting big articles in magazines like Arizona Highways. He also does some non-traditional promotion aimed at reaching out to the many women's clubs and organizations throughout the state.

Thanks husband for all your help with BOW!! :wub:

For more info on the BOW and AWF, visit the AWF website:

http://www.azwildlife.org/bow.html

here is a pic of him receiving his award from my friend Linda Dightmon who coordinates the BOW program.

post-1-1245352107_thumb.jpg

Very cool Amanda!!! These types of awards aren't just handed-out willy/nilly! It takes commitment and dedication over time to be recognized like this, and you should be proud of him!!! (which you obviously are!)

Kudos to Paul!!!!

S.

:)

Awesome job! Congrats to him and thank you for sharing it with us.

Phil

Of course I noticed the shirt!!!! I've got one just like it!! I'm sure it looks better on him though! ;)

S.

:)

Glad you noticed the shirt. No one commented, I figured no one noticed.

And yes, it does look good on him!!! ;)

Amanda

Congrats to your husband Amanda, great job.

Congrats and thank him for his dedication and hard work. What a great award!

Ilene

The coverage and exposure he got BOW was priceless.

Although I'm on the board at AWF, I'm not involved with BOW and hadn't known Paul was doing all these things until the awards ceremony. Each time I'd see another BOW article in a good publication I just assumed the girls had gotten lucky again.

I've always been skeptical of awards programs for various reasons, but this case underscores why they're necessary. Without awards programs, critical behind-the-scenes contributions would otherwise go unnoticed by people like me.

Please congratulate Paul for me and thanks for bringing this to our attention. You difinately have a keeper there Amanda. You both deserve alot of credit for your continued work you do for all of us. THANKS! :D

TJ