Sign in to follow this  
BAG'N'TAG

300 win mag or 300 wsm?!?

In similar bullet weights the .300 outperforms the 7mm in velocity and ft lbs of energy but they are pretty equal out past 500yds.

That is true, but one should really compare bullets of near equal sectional density (weight in relation to caliber), or near equal BC, to give a better apples2apple comparison.

Hence, a 140 in 7mm to 165/168 in 30cal, or 160 in 7mm to 180 in 30cal.

Here's an interesting article on 30 cal vs smaller.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/30-caliber-1.php

I showed some 1000 yard data for the 338 Edge, 300RUM, 7RUM and my 6.5 WSM on another post.

http://forums.coueswhitetail.com/forums/in...st&p=157751

Those smaller calibers shoot flatter, but they have more wind drift and less retained velocity and energy way out there.

HOC,

THe 6.5 WSM is going bear hunting this weekend. :D

Has this thread been hijacked? :rolleyes: :ph34r:

Doug~RR

sorry, I did jack the thread.

Why would the drift be that much different when your bc is so high? Seems the 1000 guys would be shooting the big uns if they were getting blown around alot.

Have you shot the Nosler AB 140 gr.?

Curiuos as to how the accuracy is going to be there...

HOC,

Oops, read the wrong column when I copied data. Drift is 46" @1000. Fixed the table.

Does make the lighter recoiling 6.5WSM look better for coues, huh?

I have shot the 130 Accubond,, and accuracy was the same as the Scirocco. So I went with the Scirocco for the higher BC, and that it reportedly opens to a wider diameter and still retains more weight than the AB.

I think the thread turned when the RUMS and 30-378s appeared in lieu of the OP's Q regarding 300WM vs WSM. But just some more info to make one reach a decision.

RR

Why would the drift be that much different when your bc is so high? Seems the 1000 guys would be shooting the big uns if they were getting blown around alot.

The 1000 yard hunters are using these. The 1K match shooters are not. It is simple as to why they are not. They dont allow muzzle breaks in competition. It is called recoil fatique. That is why 6.5's are som popular among match shooters. It is the best balance between recoil, velocity and good BC's.

i have both and the short mag is by far a better gun faster bullet and flatter. I use a 150 grain bullet for elk and deer. when it comes to the ultra mag, some of there facotry loads are better because they have three different power levels but if you reload u can put the 300 ultra mag to shame.

Hi,

I own both. A browning a-bolt 300 win mag and a winchester m70 300 wsm. I say just go with the 300 win mag. It is cheaper to shoot and easier to find factory loads. I wish I had just spent the money on something else.

I shoot 165gr bullets w/ 66gr of 4350 in the short mag and 150gr bullets w/ 70gr of 4350 in the win mag. My win mag shoots better at longer rangers than the short mag.

Brent

Since Lark is not here today, GET A .270 and do not worry about kick, expensive bullets, throat erosion, or shooting out barrels. and yes, I have used mine to kill elk.

Good point, my dad's killed his two elk with a .270 and I killed one of mine with it.

I have to say I LOVE my .300 WSM. I was originally looking at the .300WSM or a .270. Never really considered the .300 WM (not for any dislike of the caliber, just didn't really look into them). My decision honestly came down to the fact that my friend was selling a Model 70 for a great price and I'd already shot the gun and liked it a lot (being able to actually use the gun prior to buying was a nice bonus). I do all handloads because the cost is high and they are a pain in the tail to find. If you look at the .300 wsm though consider the grains you want to use, I've read reports that the below 150 and above 180 can get a bit random.

So I've decided i'm going to buy a new gun i just cant decide between a 300 win mag or a 300 wsm. I know they are ballistically identical but what do you all think?

Thanks,

Zach

Go with a .270 it works great on everything. Just match the bullet type and grains and you can also find it anywhere, it comes in so many colors and flavors. Or the good ol' trusty 30-06, even my great grand pa' knows about the 30-06. But the best thing you can do with any firearm is get to know it and know it real good. I have seen people shoot an old rifle been held together with wire and lubed up with cooking oil and they can put the bullet where they put their eye, all cause they have shot their rifle so much they know it better than their wife.

I have a .270 WSM and my buddy has a .270 weatherby

My short mag flies faster and farther in just about every ballistic chart we've seen.

Look at prices on ammo...and look at the chart to determine which one is better suited.

I went through the same thing 2 years ago. The reason I went with the Win Mag. intead of the Short Mag. is that there were more reloading options with the Win. Mag. Other than that there was very little difference. I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

i have both and the short mag is by far a better gun faster bullet and flatter. I use a 150 grain bullet for elk and deer. when it comes to the ultra mag, some of there facotry loads are better because they have three different power levels but if you reload u can put the 300 ultra mag to shame.

No offense but I am trying to figure this out, from a physics standpoint it is not possible (20% more cap than the WinMag in the RUM) . I do agree the short mags tend to be more efficient but the case capacity does not compare and with better powders such as H1000 and Retumbo velocities are at least 10% higher in the RUM. With heavier bullets 180-200gr this is very significant. However it sucks to shoot the RUM which is a beast for long sets at the range, even with a break it gets tiresome. For an all rounder I agree the 300 WSM is a great round.

For the OP I would go the WSM (short action = lighter rifle) route or even better pic a 7mm cartridge where the BC's can't be touched unless you move all the way up to the 338's, 6.5's are close and IMO would rank at the top with the 7mm's.