Sign in to follow this  
BAG'N'TAG

300 win mag or 300 wsm?!?

I have a 7mag and 300 um. I prefer my 300. People keep complaining about the recoil, but its just not bad at all. I don't know what everyone is so afraid of. My 7mag is an ultra light and it kicks about the same as my 300 um sendero. Both are very accurate, but if I had to choose one or the other I would difinatly pick the 300 um.

I am sure the ultra mag is a great round but I guess if you put 90 + grain of powder behind any bullet it will scream. I guess you have to ask yourself what type of hunting your going to be doing. If your just going to be hunting on this Continent there are a bunch of rounds that will work just fine.

The .270, 30-0-6, .280, 7-mag will all work just fine for just about any North American sized game. We can talk about what caliber is better all day long. God knows there has been countless articles written about it in any shooting and or hunting magazine.

But we all know the most important thing is shot placement. You can shoot an elk in the guts with a 180gr bullet at 3200fps from a .300 RUM and watch him run off and have a heck of a tracking job to do. Or you can shoot him in the vitals with a 150gr bullet at 2900 fps from a 30-0-6 and your job is done. I know shot placement is not as sexy a topic as caliber but thats the nuts and bolts of the game I guess.

+1 for the 300 RUM

300 Ultra Mag all the way! A good friend of mine shot the 300 WM for many years and when the Ultra mag came out he wished it would have come out 30 years sooner. ;)

The .300 Winchester Magnum is a fine cartridge and has accounted for vast numbers of Western big game animals. The .300 WSM certainly has a growing following, probably in part due to the shorter action providing for a more portable rifle. You wouldn't be wrong to go with either round. Find the rifle that fits you best and then go with whichever caliber is available at that time.

Additional consideration should be directed towards the fine .300 Weatherby cartridge. Walmart is selling the tan synthetic stocked Vanguard models for $350.00. That's a bargain in any rifle rack.

Good luck with whichever rig you choose.

Jim

Hey Zach,

when we head down to scout for your hunt I'll bring my .300 winmag and let you shoot it to see if you like it.

If you want a thumper long range machine then go to the classifieds and look at that 30-378 for sale!

I have also been debating between the 300 wm and the 300 wsm. I finally made the choice of the Browning 300 wsm ti A- bolt it's a little expensive but its only 5 1/2 pounds 2 pounds less than most 300 wm. If anyone ownes one of these please let me know how you like it cuz I've almost save all the money.

Thanks,Loner

probably some things that are more important is 1) do you want a light rifle or do you mind lugging a heavy gun around? if it does not matter than you can get a heavier, bigger chambered gun that will have less felt recoil. if you want a light gun than you need to go with a smaller caliber otherwise you are going to get beat on at the range. 2) are you going to reload or are you going to be buying factory ammo? can you afford expensive ammo? if you are going to reload than no issues but if money is tight than you will probably want to think about 7mm mag first, 300 wm 2nd and 300 wsm/300 rum last (cheapest to most expensive ammo). if you buy a new gun you are going to want to break it in properly and find out what rounds shoot best in your gun. this is going to take some ammo which is going to cost some money. good luck. I have a 7mm mag and have killed many animals with it. I also have a 300 wsm and am very happy with it. However, I know many people that have 300 wm, 300 rum, 30-378 and love them. as long as it shoots good it probably does not matter that much.

+1 on that 30-378 for sale. I have shot that rifle several times. I'm not sure what brake he has on that thing but it makes it so smooth. I was amazed when it pushed out 165 grain factory amo at 3766fps and a .25 inch group at 100 yards. If you want to cut through all the crap of trying to put one together, just pm 30-378shtr. His rifle is the only rifle I've shot that I like more than my 300 um.

does the 300 win mag (150 or 180 gr) really have that step up in power over a 7mm rem mag (140 or 175gr) or are they closer than some people say?