Sign in to follow this  
CouesWhitetail

Weekend Scouting trip to Mexico!

Thought you all might enjoy hearing about a quick trip to Mexico I took last weekend with Ernesto C. Ernesto and I along with a few other hunters from the forum are planning to do a self-guided hunt in Sonora in mid-Jan. So we went down this past weekend to check the place out, learn the roads, and maybe see some good bucks.

It was an easy drive down there as it was not too far from Magdalena which is only an hour south of Nogales. We met up with our friend/guide Temo and the ranch owner's son Juan in Magdalena and proceeded to the ranch.

The ranch is comprised of some spectacular country and I couldn't believe how amazingly green everything was!! Not 15 mins yet on the property and we saw deer on the drive into the ranch house in the middle of the day....a good sign.

Friday afternoon was nice and cloudy and we were even blessed with a little rain while out glassing. We saw deer at every stop and found bucks frequently. Unfortunately the bucks are farther behind on antler development down there than they are up here in AZ, so we couldn't easily judge just how big these bucks would become. I think we saw 2-3 that had some great potential and many smaller bucks. We saw a lot does as well, but only two fawns. I wasn't sure if the fawns were still in the hiding phase or if they had already succumbed to predators. Hopefully the former.

Anyway, instead of just posting photos, I made a short little video for you to enjoy. I LOVE going to Mexico! It's like stepping back in time to a simpler life. I really enjoyed spending time joking around with Temo and Juan. And of course my friend Ernesto was a pleasure to be around and it was great having him there because he could translate for me. Thanks Ernesto!!

Temo made us some of the most amazing fish and shrimp I have ever had. In fact I loved it so much I asked for the recipe and made it for my husband tonight!! YUM!! Thanks Temo! And we had some great carne asada and wonderful tequila as well. Viva Mexico!!

here is a link to the video. I only got a few of the bucks on video, but thought you might enjoy seeing how amazingly green the ranch was and watch for the giant ocotillo that Ernesto was glassing under. Not sure if I have ever seen on that big!

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/video_clips/...ith_Ernesto.wmv

Can't wait for Jan!!

Amanda

Loved the video Amanda!

Glad you all had a great time.

I also enjoyed the pics of the cooking. ;)

Loved the video Amanda!

Glad you all had a great time.

I also enjoyed the pics of the cooking. ;)

You know I take those for you Chef ;)

The fish/shrimp dish was to die for, but I didn't get a pic of it. He wrapped individual servings into aluminum foil and sealed it up like a Hershey's kiss before putting it over the coals. It was baked in a mayo/butter, garlic, pepper, chili powder, and boullion (sp?) sauce. YUM!!

The carne asada was served with warm tortillas, fresh homemade salsa and guacamole!! YUM again!!! Man I need a workout to loose some weight from all the tortillas and great food!

Amanda

What a great video that was!!! Thanks for sharing. You guys are in for a great hunt! I couldn't believe the forage in there - looked like a food plot!

I can't wait to see the hard-horned version of that big one that ran in behind those two smaller feeding bucks!

Beautiful! Those Mexican deer definitely have more 'swagger' than the sketched out Coues I see in Arizona. The deer up here are tentative just taking single steps, those guys look like rompin-stompin bad-asses.

Also, you can really see how much more moisture they've been getting down there this year. I've watched the GOES-10 satellite imagery every week, Mexico boils with thunderstorms almost every day while we've been wilting up here!

And the rancher said they were not getting near as much rainfall as they usually do and he said it should have been much greener....I found that hard to believe it could be greener!

Amanda

Man that looks like a great bunch of people on a beautiful ranch. If somebody backs out I wanna come too. Great find Ernie and Amanda.

Love the video!!! You were not kidding about how green it is and how big the dang ocotillo is :blink: :blink: Mexico is such an awesome place to be in January with excellent weather and huge deer(coues and carp)........i sure wish i was going this year!!! :( I think this video just changed my mind!!! ;)

Great video of some awesome looking country. I can't wait to get back down to Mexico!

The owner of the ranch was dissapointed or sad because so far the month of August he had only 6 inches of rain; he said last year August by it self was almost 12 inches of rain!! I said what? are you kidding me? He said no........only 6 inches of rain in August.........I was like.....wow!!

On another note....I told the cowboy of the ranch, (his name is Jesus) that we (the hunters) will try to kill the deer next to the road so he wont have a hard time getting out of a far canyon with his horse. He said no I dont like that.- Why I asked.- cause the harder it gets for my and my horse, the better the tip I get. :lol: I said yes you got a point there :D

Hey Phil, how was your scouting trip?

Ernesto C

Hey Phil, how was your scouting trip?

Ernesto C

Ernesto,

It went really good. Our ranch looks very promising with our group seeing 26 bucks and 5 of them we figure will be quite nice when they are finished up growing. It was funny though on the rain that they had, it seemed to be very spotty with some areas getting pounded and other areas were pretty dry. Just being down there again was great but to do it with the other members of the forum was awesome.

post-216-1251525835.jpg

post-216-1251525885.jpg