Sign in to follow this  
newbee

shafts alluminium or carbon or both

I know we hit this last season, but figured id start it up again . any one read the article in PB comparing the two?? It makes me want to change to xx78's .

so lets get it started-

TASTES GREAT-

:o

Carbons have more speed and durability but my experience has taught me that aluminums are able to control a broadhead better. I have gone back to aluminums and am very pleased. I'm sure getting new broadheads could remedy the problems I had w/ carbons but I like the muzzy's too much.

LOL I just finnished that article. It made me cancel my Beamon carbon arrow order. :P I always knew that they were ussually different weights, but the fact that their walls may be different scared the tar out of me. So I'm staying with my Game Getters 2216 "lites" fletched with my trademark two purple one white fletchings. :huh:

Treestandman, I have learned that they (carbon) are stronger, only if you buy a higher quality arrow shaft. While out practicing at our rental in Tempe, my buddy missed the target and hit a chain link fence post. His arrow spintered into nothing. After arguing with him on the way over there about how much stronger carbon fiber is compared to aluminum (and even getting into heat displacment of the two :P ) I decided to hit the post with one of my gamegetters. We walked over to the fence post, took note of the dent in it, then walked back with my still intact arrow. :lol: To say the least we went home early that day.

that is one of the things about carbon I dont like-they exsplode., and to get high Quality +consistant arrows you pay out the ying yang.

last year every time i went out I lost a carbon arrow (due to taking guesstimated risky shots on a trail target range) one miss is all it took. so this year im going to find a good clean consistant alluminum arrow - for the new shiny rig im going to sneak in the house :huh:

I was a diehard aluminum arrow chucker until i finally switched to carbons 2 years ago. I will never go back to aluminum. There is nothing wrong with aluminum arrows. But by swithing to carbon I gained speed, kinetic energy and much tighter groups. And the cost difference is not that much, I shoot eastons carbon aeros which are their entry level carbon shaft.

I compromised and went with ACCs 4 years ago. No regrets. Just did a big spreadsheet comparing aluminums, ACCs, and Carbons. After many hours of research I think I am sticking w ACCs.

I think if you shoot 35 yards and under almost any properly sized arrow works great. After 45 yards is when quality and weight really pays off. Aluminums don't provide a light enough shaft, most carbons do not have consistent spines, hence my decision to go with ACCs. The big negative is cost.

I have stayed with aluminum and don't plan on changing to carbons. I shoot X7's in 2413 and shoot over 300ft./sec. There is no reason to change for me.

I go out to the oak tree, and carve me an arrow and I use that.

LOL I just finnished that article. It made me cancel my Beamon carbon arrow order. :P  I always knew that they were ussually different weights, but the fact that their walls may be different scared the tar out of me. So I'm staying with my Game Getters 2216 "lites" fletched with my trademark two purple one white fletchings. <_<

Treestandman, I have learned that they (carbon) are stronger, only if you buy a higher quality arrow shaft. While out practicing at our rental in Tempe, my buddy missed the target and hit a chain link fence post. His arrow spintered into nothing. After arguing with him on the way over there about how much stronger carbon fiber is compared to aluminum (and even getting into heat displacment of the two :P ) I decided to hit the post with one of my gamegetters. We walked over to the fence post, took note of the dent in it, then walked back with my still intact arrow. :D  To say the least we went home early that day.

Bass you mean to tell me that your gamegetter was fine? The insert was not pushed in and the arrow was straight? Maybe if it was a glancing blow but not if you hit it dead on!!

In that case I would stop shooting at rocks

Reddog, the arrow was bent, but after using my little arrow straightener I was shooting it again the next time we went out with no obvious flaw in the flight. Next time I'm over there I'll take a photo that shows were the feild point hit. I too was shocked at it not cracking, I even called a cracked arrow. My point in doing it was to prove that even if a aluminum arrow hit the "shoulder blade" of an elk it wouldn't explode like a carbon arrow would. I was just lucky that I still had five usable arrows when we left.