Sign in to follow this  
Red Rabbit

There was a Shooting on the North Rim

Rica and I ventured into the park to do some shooting on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Sunday evening saw a few showers drift across the big ditch, which led to a bright orange cast to the sunset as seen from Cape Royal.

GrandCanyon-NorthRim9-12-09061.jpg

GrandCanyon-NorthRim9-12-09100.jpg

GrandCanyon-NorthRim9-12-09114.jpg

The next morning led back to Cape Royal to catch the sunrise on Wotans Throne. The sun briefly peeked through the clouds before hiding again.

GrandCanyon-NorthRim9-12-09157.jpg

With the early morning light gone, the road lead to Point Imperial for a few photos with less than optimum light.

GrandCanyon-NorthRim9-12-09240.jpg

GrandCanyon-NorthRim9-12-09243.jpg

Doug~RR

Doug - outstanding!! You're going to have to quit you day job and take that landscape photography to pay the bills. Beautiful shots!

WoW Doug, those are some GREAT shots. You have outdone yourself this time!! Nice work! Thanks for sharing those with us.

I think landscapes are some of the toughest things to shoot, but you sure pulled it off.

My husband thinks I should try and get you to teach a landscape photography class to a bunch of CW.com'ers. Maybe do it as a fund raiser for some charity? Or maybe do it as a fund raiser for the RedRabbit hunting fund.... :)

Amanda

Stellar work Doug - Arizona Highways- should be calling ;) I love the way the light is 'filtered'- bringing me INTO the Canyon!

Thanks for sharing these- ! I say to truely appreciate the canyon you must hike into it, but seeing these I'm once again rethinking that statement.

AzP&Y

Doug

What's left to say? As always, great job and thanks for sharing with us Doug

I like Paul's, Amanda's husband, idea of a photo class from Doug. We could make it another coueswhitetail.com party or pot luck. I certainly could use some pointers and a better camera. :)

TJ

wow those are some awesome pictures, I wish I could take pics like that, that is some talent!!! Kudos to you, you are very talented with the camera!!!

O.K Doug, you got me again with your misleading topic title :P , I was expecting something along the lines of a gunfight up on the rim or some such :lol:

Oh, and bye the way, very nice photos! :)

Doug, could you tell me what kind of filter, if any, you have on your lens? Your photos always seem to be largely free of the haze I always get with long distance landscape shots. Great work!

Doug, could you tell me what kind of filter, if any, you have on your lens? Your photos always seem to be largely free of the haze I always get with long distance landscape shots. Great work!

Oak,

A UV filter will help reduce the haze in the pics that your eye does not see. It will also help protect your lens and will be better/easier to clean than the lens itself. I have ordered a new digital multi-coated UV filter. They say the MC will reduce lens flare and ghosting on the camera sensor. The new UV filter is $70, whereas the old cheapy was under $20.

Another very useful filter is a circular polarizer.

I had once bought a cheap neutral density filter from Best Buy so I could do some "soft" waterfall/stream shots, but it gave a color cast to the images and they were not as sharp. So I invested a little more and got a better ND filter. Heliopan and B&W are top notch, but I am using Hoya (they seem harder to clean though to remove streaks). Like anything, you usually get what you pay for.

Thanks all for the comments.

Doug~RR