Sign in to follow this  
azyota

First Elk

No pics, cows aren't that impressive, but what a hunt!! I wanted to go hunting this year so I put in Bull, Cow and got my second choice. I got out about 1 hour before first light Friday morning and got where I wanted to be. Right away I spotted a few cows but couldn't close the distance. Then I followed a Bull that was bugling hoping that he had some cows with him. No dice... Probably a 360-370 bull, and I had a cow tag. Next I got into a flock of about 25-30 turkeys. That was awesome! I've never seen that many turkeys at once. A little later I came across 6 Bulls all together. Two nice Bulls, a coupler rag horns and two spikes. Under 30yds, but I got a cow tag..... The afternoon hunt was a bust.

Saturday I walked my butt off trying to find them. The day was mostly a bust until just before dark. I spotted a nice Bull with several cows, but the sun was almost gone. I decided to back out and look for them in the morning. A friend and I headed out just before first light to where I saw the Elk the night before. With a little looking we found them again. Everything was looking good and one of the cows busted me. They started moving away, but not running. Just moving away from us. We chased them for 2 miles and ultimately bumped them again. This time they were running. Game over!

A little later we stopped at a place where my buddy shot a nice Bull back in 1983. We were kind of reminiscing and making and plan on what to do next when we heard a bugle. Game on again! We cut this herd off and I was able to make an 80yd shot thru the trees for a double lung shot. She ran about 70yds and piled up. A couple highlights were that I took my shot less than 50yds from where my friend shot his first Bull back in 83. Who would have thought, with us being lifelong friends, that after 26 years our first Elk would be within 50 yards of each other. His was way more impressive than mine, but what a hunt. And for him to be there with me was priceless. While I started dressing my Elk my friend went to camp and got another friend and my Dad. I can't even describe how happy I was to have great friends and my father there. I'll never forget the year I finally got an ELK!!!

This is a pic of my buddy's bull back in 83. The guy in the cowboy hat is my dad, and I took the picture. Without your friends and your family, you got nuthin...

sunnyrayelk_resized.jpg

dude post the pics of your cow any animal taken with a bow is a respectable trophy no matter the sex of it, Im sure everyone on here would love to see you with your trophy !

dude post the pics of your cow any animal taken with a bow is a respectable trophy no matter the sex of it, Im sure everyone on here would love to see you with your trophy !

That is for sure and congratulations. Now where are the pics? :)

TJ

Right on!!! Pat

Congratulations on your first elk and way to stick with it. Glad your family and friends were there to share in all the excitement. Any elk taken with a bow is a major accomplishment. I would post a pic. Looks like your shoulder didn't give you to much of a problem. :) Congrats again.

Thanks you guys!

June, the shoulder worked out okay, but by the time I shot my Elk I could barley pull my bow. I was having trouble pulling shots to the left so I practiced as much as I could. I finally started grouping good at 60, but by then my shoulder was shot. All I know is adrenaline will do a lot. When I got the shot, I pulled the bow like nothing.

Honestly the pics arn't that good, but here are a few. The first is a huge rub I found on the first day. This was close to where I saw a really nice bull. I'm just under 6 foot tall and the highest marks were about 18-20" above the highest point I could reach.

Rub.jpg

This is a shed I found and took the pic in the spot where my buddy shot his Bull in 83.

1983_.jpg

Here are a few pics on my Elk. I tried to prop her head up on that shed, but it didn't work too good...

My_Cow.jpg

My_Cow_1.jpg

This is my father and I. I'm glad he was there, but he said this is it. He says he's done hunting. This trip he mostly sat in camp. He hips are giving up. Up until about 3 years ago he was still hiking Coues country.

Me_and_Dad.jpg

no shame in killing a cow be proud of your accomplishment a bow kill is never easy at all . You made an awesome shot that not many have the balls to take . a friend of mine got a 401 inch in unit 10 friday ! kudos to you man i'm still trying to get my first bull with a bow and I have had some real tuff luck in az. as well as n.mexico ! but i'm gonna keep trying.

Az Yota- congrats- Cow or Bull either way they both rock!

I killed my bull in 04' and my cow in 05' both with archery equipment

I had the cow made into a shoulder mount. It was the only one in the taxidermy shop that I saw. I didn't care, I hunted cows for years before I harvested her. I am equally proud of the cow as I am my P&Y bull.

Everything I learned about hunting cows has been applied to bull elk hunting. It's made me a better elk hunter- period.

Enjoy that meat!

AzP&Y

That truely is a large cow. You will be eating good for a long time. Glad to see your Dad on your hunt and sorry to hear his hips are giving him trouble. I'm sure he was in pain but was proud to be there with you for sure. Tell your Dad there isn't anything wrong with just being in camp and let him always know how important it is to have him around and to show your love and appreciation for all he's done in life for ya. If he just sleeps and sits around the fire or goes to bed early it's ok and we all will be there some day sooner than we want. It's part of life I don't like but it's life. Thanks for finally posting the pictures. Sounds like a great hunt. :)

TJ

Thanks everyone! It's truly appreciated. And don't get me wrong, I'm very proud of my Elk. I can't believe I finally got one!! All I mean is Bull pics are just a bit more exciting.

I'm doing what I can to keep my dad going. He has been a lifelong hunter and fisherman. He had a great time hauling out my Elk. We put it in his trailer and hauled it back to camp with his quad. He really wanted to do his part and be involved. If i get drawn again next year, I bet he makes it out. Especially if I get that Bull tag. Someday...

Thanks again, you guy's are the best!

Nice job Pat, she looks like a beast!! I'm glad to see your dad was along on the hunt!! Now its time to pull out the spandex and dust off the mountainbike!!!