jakehaffey

Broadheads????

Now that the august season is over and I need new broadheads I was curious what everyone's opinion was? I shot wac em's and thought they were great but cant find them any more. I have rage broadheads for my elk hunt in november but Im not too big on spending that much again. Anyways any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Ahhh... The old Chevy vs. Ford question...

I shoot Rage. I have watched everything I have shot with them fall is less than 35 yards (mullie,coues,coyote,and a bobcat). What I dont like about them is, when I pull them out of my quiver sometimes the blades will catch and open up costing me seconds, and some time the game will see you. I just started shooting Blood Runner. I like them. It shoots like a feild point for me. I have to wait till January to see the damange on a deer.

Gook luck on choosing your heads.

Good luck on your upcoming bull!!!

This topic will give you all kind of options. I love muzzy's 3 blade 100grain. I shoot well with them,

-Ryan

If you like Wac Em try the G5 striker - very similar head. The RedHead Blackout at bass pro and the CopperHead from Cabelas are also very similar.

I also recommend Slick Tricks, Magnus BuzzCuts, and plain-old Muzzys 3 blade.

EPEKS...

They truly fly like field points and bad devastating....

One of our team members kill a cow with one this week.. WOW.. PM me if you are interested in getting a few...

post-21-1253735991.jpg

Carbon Express® F15 ...Used this last August in Africa, most animals fell within 30 yards. Used last week on bull elk, he went less than 40 yards. Fly like darts!

Ilene

I use Magnus Stinger 4 blades. Killed alot of animals with them awesome broadhead fly like a field tip and kill quick.

We had fits this year tuning arrows to shoot. If you have an ultra-fast bow (X-force, Monster etc) you will need mechanicals or short broadheads like Montecs, Wac-ems et al.

One of the guys we were hunting with this year had a hunter shoot a bull broadside with a Rage and the arrow went in and hit a rib and came back out!!! The same client shot another bull with the same set up and got complete pass-through because he didn't hit a rib. This is the second guy that told me a similar personal story.

We tried Slick tricks but the blades would break off in the "block" when practicing! The Rage broadheads are a nightmare in the qwiver, always opening up and rattling and then you have to put them back together before trying to shoot them. I would not use a Rage on an elk period and would not use one for stalking but limit them to shooting from blinds or treestands at deer.

I would not use Slick tricks on elk either-they are not strong enough. I would use Slick tricks on deer in a heart beat.

I killed my deer with an 85 grain Thunderhead this year and last. They shoot great from my bow (270fps) and have killed great. They are cheap and work well- I don't see the need to change. The popular broadheads are all at least $10 a piece, spend $12 on an arrow, $10 on a Lumenok and you are shooting $30++ down range with each shot! For a coveted elk tag that might be OK but for pigs and such- it's a little much!

We had fits this year tuning arrows to shoot. If you have an ultra-fast bow (X-force, Monster etc) you will need mechanicals or short broadheads like Montecs, Wac-ems et al.

One of the guys we were hunting with this year had a hunter shoot a bull broadside with a Rage and the arrow went in and hit a rib and came back out!!! The same client shot another bull with the same set up and got complete pass-through because he didn't hit a rib. This is the second guy that told me a similar personal story.

We tried Slick tricks but the blades would break off in the "block" when practicing! The Rage broadheads are a nightmare in the qwiver, always opening up and rattling and then you have to put them back together before trying to shoot them. I would not use a Rage on an elk period and would not use one for stalking but limit them to shooting from blinds or treestands at deer.

I would not use Slick tricks on elk either-they are not strong enough. I would use Slick tricks on deer in a heart beat.

I killed my deer with an 85 grain Thunderhead this year and last. They shoot great from my bow (270fps) and have killed great. They are cheap and work well- I don't see the need to change. The popular broadheads are all at least $10 a piece, spend $12 on an arrow, $10 on a Lumenok and you are shooting $30++ down range with each shot! For a coveted elk tag that might be OK but for pigs and such- it's a little much!

Thanks to everyone for all the info. Thats the first time I have ever heard anything bad about rage.

shot a bear this year with a slick trick. total pass thru and never found the arrow. bear fell dead out of the tree. usually i use a vortex mini-max on elk. fly great and the elk go down fast.

Buddy shot his elk last day with a Vortex- perfect performance.

Rage is not the "rage" that it has been cracked up to be! I had two pro-shop guys tell me that they would never use them for spot & stalk because of the issues with them opening up in the qwiver and when stalking!!!

I use the new Strikers since the wack-ems went out of business. They fly well for me but they are too expensive. I'm actually looking for a new broadhead. I used to shoot 3 blade muzzy's but I could never tune my arrows with them. When I switched to wack ems my problems were over with the tuning but the blades are kind of flimsy. I will never try a mechanical just from the stories I've heard. A few of my buddies really like rage broadheads though. My cousin just dropped an Antelope at 70 yds with a rage. Said the exit wound was huge!!

I use the new Strikers since the wack-ems went out of business. They fly well for me but they are too expensive. I'm actually looking for a new broadhead. I used to shoot 3 blade muzzy's but I could never tune my arrows with them. When I switched to wack ems my problems were over with the tuning but the blades are kind of flimsy. I will never try a mechanical just from the stories I've heard. A few of my buddies really like rage broadheads though. My cousin just dropped an Antelope at 70 yds with a rage. Said the exit wound was huge!!

Thats my problem too.

I just bought some slick tricks over the weekend. I shot them into my block target several times even went thru the block into my garbage can, the blades were still intact. they shot real good at 20 yards just like my field points I need to shoot them more out farther distance but they seemed good and they are cheeper than the some like 25.00 for 3.

I have tried muzzy, thunderheads and a few others just never could get them to fly consistant even with a big headache of tweaking the tune on the bow. I have some friends that shot the shuttle T, they have had good results with them I will try those before long.