Sign in to follow this  
GTT

Jakob's Buck!

My 12 year old son Jakob got his 2nd deer this past Friday 10-9-09 on his 23 jr. hunt.

Opening morning Jakob,his grandpa,& I headed up high to try for a coues. About 2 hours into the hunt I finally glassed up a 2 point feeding in the shade of a west facing slope. I showed Jakob the buck & he was ready to go! It was 350 yds. straight across a canyon & we needed to shoot from our location. We were able to get Jakob laying flat on the ground using a backpack for a rest. He finds the buck & takes the shot hitting right under the buck,2nd shot behind, & after a few more shots, the buck had enough & gave us the slip. A combination of distance & buck fever got the best of Jakob that morning...been there ;) We hiked all the way over to the last spot we saw the buck just in case, but found no sign of a hit. On our hike out we found an awesome coues shed as a bonus! He didn't get that buck but it was an awesome morning shared with his grandpa....

Grandpa had to get back home that afternoon so Jakob & I headed out for the evening hunt, in the mule deer country this time. At around 5:00 We spotted a heard of deer with several does & (4) 2 point bucks heading across some low foot hills in the flats. We made a fast stalk to try & get in front of the heard & in position for a shot. We were able to get within 125 yds. of the heard & found the biggest 2 point looking straight up hill toward us. Jakob got set up with his .243 on the bipod & hit him low in the front shoulder, but the buck is still up & on the move. The buck headed into a wash & we had to get closer for a clear shot . We got within 50 yds. of the now bedded buck, & Jakob makes a great shot right behind the shoulder! I couldn't be more proud :D

Congrats to all the youth hunters! Thanks, Bret

011logo.jpg

020logo.jpg

Way to go Jakob. Two deer already? Sounds like you got a hunting partner for life Dad. Way to go Dad and Grandpa. :)

TJ

Nice! Great job and Congrats to Jakob! Seeing all these kids knock down critters is getting me excited for my little ones to get out there.

Sweet!! Congrats guys!!

Um... but I'm gunna have to ask you to leave the Coues Bone in "My" National Forest when you choose to hunt there!!! :blink: :lol: :lol: :P :lol: :P

WhooHOo again! Way to go Jakob, your a deer killin' fool! Now you're on a role and i'm sure there's no stoppin' ya! Congrats to you buddy!

Thanks for writin' the stories and posting the pics Bret, they're awesome! JIM>

Oh Bret that is just to dang awesome!!! Congrats to your boy and you and your Dad. That's good stuff right there man, thanks for sharing.