lionhunter

More Rifle than I paid for!!!

Let me preface this post with the fact that I "DO NOT" own any stock in any rifle manufacturing company....

That being said, I want to let you guys know about a "cheap rifle" I just bought for my kids that I am completely surprised with. (In a good way)

OK my story; I am lucky enough to own more rifles than I need, and more than my wife know that "we" own. I also have 3 boys (7,8,9 years old) They are all getting ready to enter into the age to create their own hunting stories. (I am sure they are tired of hearing about mine) All 3 boys shoot my .223 very well, and I wanted to buy them a rifle of their own. I wanted something inexpensive because I know it will be dropped, the scope with get dinged up etc, etc. ( I would come unglued if they dropped my rifle LOL)

I looked at several used rifles in ..243 but none of the deals came to be.

I walked into a local sporting goods store that starts with a "C" and here is what I bought.....

For $230 dollars I bought a brand new rifle with: a crowned barrel, piller bedded action, fluted bolt, completely adjustable trigger (just like accu trigger), floated barrel, and a synthetic stock. I bought the rifle with the youth stock. Out the door with scope rings, a box or bullets, and tax for $295.

Now to the range.... I expected very average performance out of a $300 "Cheap" rifle. After mounting a very average 3x9 scope I was off to sight in and season the barrel.. Sub moa groups at 100 yards with two different types of 80 gr. cheap bullets! Now, I have never shot it past 100 yards yet, but needless to say I recomend it highly to anyone.

What is it?? A marlin XS-7 It sells new everyday of the year for $299

If you are looking for a kids gun, or an inexpensive rifle that will shoot better than you can, give it a look..

Again guys, I don't own stock in Marlin, but I am not easily impressed with hunting gear, but this little rifle blew my socks off.

It is not very often that you feel like you got more than you paid for, but this is that time. I am considering going back and picking up another in 25-06 for me. I could call it my back up to my packups backups backup.

My .02 cents

Whitey

Darren,

Good to know!! As soon as I get back on my feet economically I may just buy one of those for one of my boys. Sounds like a heck of a deal!!!

Mike

Great rifles! And they have a good selection in calibers. I am going to pick up a few here shortly!

Thanks for passing this on. I did a search looks like there are a ton of great reviews on this rifle.

I have a buddy who got one in 30-06 off the interweb new for less than $300 and it wont shoot sub 3 inch groups at 100 yards. This from a vice, bench, sandbags and so on. He has tried several different loads and all of them suck out of that junker. I would say if you got a good one great, if you got one like him you would think they are garbage. I tend to think a guy should spend the extra $200-$250 and get a Tikka or Vanguard or something else. The guy knows how to shoot too, I have seen him shoot a bunch of 1 hole groups with several different rifles...

Bret M.

Bullwidgeon, Sounds like you are a little angry........ Sorry your friend can't get his to group, but like I said I am just trying to share what I consider to be a great buy with fellow CWT members.

Thay are currently making the short action in .243, 7mm-08, and .308. Long action in .270, 30-06 and 25-06. If they were smart they would add the 22-250, 7mag, 300 win and some of the wsm to the production of this rifle.

It may very well be that I just got a good one, but Look it up on the internet/ reviews. A ton of guys are luvin em.

Whitey

I am not angry,

I told the dude to buy a Tikka prior to him ordering that giant shiny turd of a rifle. I am just sharing an experience with that same rifle, not as positive as yours. I read several reviews on it and saw alot about 2 inch groups with factory ammo, M.O.A. with hand loaded and/or custom ammo. I figured maybe his would do that too, but it doesn't. I know several gun writers and know that they get a lot of perks from companies by not being super judgemental or truthful about all the products they are sent to test. In fact, when was the last time you read a review in a gun magazine that was bad? They don't publish bad reviews. I am glad yours shoot well, however I wouldn't be surprised if someone bought one that didn't.

Bret M.