Sign in to follow this  
azryan

Luke Dukes 1st Coues cont.....

I have alot of pics so bear with me, I can never choose a few

I call him the "Avatar" buck because he has been my avatar picture for awhile. I really wanted to kill this buck.

Well it started in January this year when I found this buck chasing does and doing his thing. The first time I saw him I knew he was a buck that I really wanted. He is everything I look for in a coues buck good frame, mass, and width. I was able to hunt him for 8 days during the late archery season and I was only able to get one shot off but it was a clean miss over his back. I was able to locate him every time in the same general area, the problem is I could not figure out how to get close to him due to the terrain which always kicked my butt, steep and thick.

100_0971.jpg

100_0970.jpg

100_0979.jpg

100_0975-1.jpg

He always outsmarted me and it got frustrating. I was hoping to get a rifle tag in the area but no go.

I then found out my uncle and cousin drew the tag, so I was hoping we could find him again. I did not do as much scouting as I would have liked during the summer, but it happens. I never saw him once during the summer months and I had not been out to look once until this morning. Luke Duke went out the opener to no luck. Then I called him Friday afternoon and asked if he wanted to give it another go for Saturday and it worked out to where we could hunt the whole day. I had a good feeling of finding some bucks in this area and hopefully find The "Avatar" buck. Thats all I could talk about was I hope we can find this buck. Lucas kept telling me he wanted a good solid 80" buck and we decided to shoot whatever coues buck gives him a shot. We got into the area the night before and got some sleep. We got up in the morning with high hopes. I kept telling him to be ready for a quick shot. After 20 minutes of doing some walking and glassing we came up with 4 does and fawns, not too bad since its always nice to see some deer. We then keep going when, with my naked eyes I could see what looked like a whitetail facing away directly away from us at at about 200 yards. Put my binos up and quickly determined it was a buck, and good one at that. He then turned sideways and I recognized him as the "Avatar" buck. I quickly told Lucas to get ready. He was as calm as ever, while I started to get buck fever even though I was not shooting. He then worked his way across the thick ridge as Lucas got into a prone position with a steady rest. I was hoping he would step into a clearing long enough for me to stop him and for Lucas to pull the trigger before he topped the ridge. Well it worked like a charm he stepped into the clearing, I asked Lucas if he was ready and he replied yes, so I stopped him. As soon as he stopped to look towards us perfectly broadside, Lucas let off a solid shot. He drilled him hard as his front legs went into the air and he toppled over backwards and started to roll down the hill. He thrashed in the bushes for a minute and then it stopped. We both looked at each other with big smiles and we hugged it out. I was positive it was the "Avatar" buck. We both started to shake and were in disbelief of what happened. It was picture perfect in a sense. We were lucky enough to be in the right spot at the right time to harvest this buck. Lucas just nailed his first buck and he was a stud. I was so excited to be there for that moment with him. Thanks Doug for letting him go hunt with me. I was impressed with the way Lucas handled the situation keeping calm and focusing on making a great shot. It was awesome to say the least. Congrats Luke Duke you deserved this buck. I was happy to see the buck go to him, better him then me. We then worked our way to the buck, it took about 30 minutes to get over there and find him hidden in some thick brush

as he lay

IMG_0858.jpg

bucki.jpg

IMG_0864.jpg

IMG_0867.jpg

IMG_0876.jpg

IMG_0873.jpg

IMG_0875.jpg

buck.jpg

Again sorry for all the pics

We went to Christians later that day to score him

Came up with 103 5/8" Gross and would net at 99 3/8"

Again congrats Luke on a solid first buck, you da man ;)

Congrats on a beautiful buck! Awesome story with a great ending.

What a nice buck! Congratulations. Dont have to apologize for all the pics heck, post some more!

Ernesto C

Congratulations on a job well done!!!!

Beautiful deer! What makes it even better is that you were able to help your cousin harvest an outstanding buck. Better him than a stranger getting your deer........