Sign in to follow this  
Cable

36A and my first Coues

A big congrats!! Way to be patient and stay with it. That is a very nice buck.

Thanks for posting your story and welcome..

That sure is a dandy buck. Congrats on your hunt and a great story.

great story welcome to Coues Hunting you hooked know sorry there is no looking back

Do believe what's been said about it being a nice buck. Probably fewer than 3% of all Coues hunters will take a better one this year.

Whereas most of us do spot and stalk, you seem to be doing spot and shoot. That's what I was doing 25-30 years ago - glassing only out to 400 or 500 yards . That cuts down your odds considerably, especially since Coues bucks are pretty aware of their surroundings within about a 600-yard radius. Nowadays I'm usually glassing 500 to 1,000 yards out, which is outside their awareness zone as long you aren't running around in a white sweatshirt (which I've seen people do) or making a lot of racket. Often I have to walk a few steps to pick up my rifle when I find one I want to go after because at long distances it doesn't matter. Not keeping your rifle handy isn't a good idea, but that's what I often find myself doing because I start moving around glassing from different places and don't take my rifle with me. And yes, I've missed a couple of opportunities because I wasn't ready to shoot when a big one suddenly showed up within range.

Now that your appetite for Coues has really been whetted, consider getting some higher power binoculars. You can find deer in the sunlight at 1,000 yards with those, but it will be hard to see antlers, especially in the shade. I often have trouble seeing antlers in the shade at 1,000 yards with 15X. Optics quality, size of the objective lens and the age of the hunter have a lot to do with seeing bucks in the shade, which is where they'll usually be after it warms up. I once read that if a 60-year-old wants to see something as well as he saw it when he was 16, he'll need three times as much light.

Patience and persistence is indeed the key. It's great that you've mastered that part. That's earning it.

Great deer! You should be proud and enjoy every minute of looking at your pictures and the memories. I'm new to this site also. I've lived in AZ all my life and started hunting Coues in 1983. I am so glad I finally found this wesite. There are more people out there who are passionate about Coues hunting than I ever thought. I have a tag for 36A, late Novemeber. I hope I can do as well as you did.....thanks for the story.

Thanks Audsley, and everyone for the nice comments. Yeah, I'm getting to that age where my eyes get worse every year. I'll probably need bigger glass before long. As far as the size of my deer, I didn't think about it percentage-wise. I was just comparing it to what I know, and that's all the monster bucks posted on this forum. Some amazing deer taken this season already. I am very happy with mine and pretty proud of it too. Just ask my wife. ;)

Congratulations! Thanks for the great story. I cant wait until I get the chance to spot and stalk.

quest