Sign in to follow this  
BeardownAZ

.270 wsm or 7mm wsm???

I am wondering. Why spend the extra money for a widcat round that you cannot buy if your were in a pinch everywhere. The 7mm mag will still outperform the shorts??? Extra money for less performance. I am no expert but did talk to one before making my decision on the 7mag. Contact Bob Shell-480-983-7078. He is a master reloaded.

The short mags were made because they would, could and can outperform the .270 winchester and the 7mm Rem. mag. etc. I think it's actually more money for more performance. I'm no expert either though. Cost of factory ammo is outrageous. The short mags are not wildcat rounds. They are offered by most gunmakers now and ammo is readily available, but expensive. My next gun will be the Browning lefthand Short-trac in .270 WSM.

gameholler has officially stripped a gear. the pudgun (7mm/08) is 300 fps faster than the 7mm wsm? in what world? the 7mm shortmag never took off because it ain't an improvement over the 7mm rem mag. in fact, you have to really work hard to approach equal. and that's if you compare 7mmwsm reloads to 7mm rem mag factory loads. if you reload the the 7 mag it will run off and leave the short mag. the .270 wsm has quite a following because it is a lot faster than a .270. when they came out with this short mag junk they figured out one case and then started shovin' different calibers in it. from .25 to .35 if i remember right. and the only one that has made many ripples after the original splash is the .270. it will probably hang on. the .300 wsm might too, but i don't see much use in it either. too many other .30 cals' that it can't even begin to run with. the shortmags might have a little advantage in true accuracy because they ain't belted. but it's quite miniscule, especially for hunting accuracy. if i had to choose one it'd be the .270 wsm. the 7mm is gonna dissappear soon. Lark.

Yeah, I to worry about the 7mm wsm disappearing and will probably not go with it cause of that. I know people used to say the .357 Sig would disappear in the pistol world but it seems to be making it. However I think the 7mm is in a different boat here in the rifle world than the .357 Sig is in the pistol world. The 243 wssm really seem to of made a huge improvement according to the ballistics comparison with the standard 243. But when Winchester took a dive off a cliff a few years ago, I think all these calibers either went along with the company or suffered cause of it. Its a shame, cause its always nice to have more options even if they aren't always really needed or much better.

the super shorts were built on an action that wouldn't load or eject that short fat cartridge worth a dang. they were a very poorly engineered thing from the get go. they got a little better when they did some work to the action. the first ones were completely stupid in how they worked. factory ammo would jam the action shut. you just about always had to load them single shot, because the action wouldn't feed from magazine worth anything. everyone tried to make a shorter fatter cartridge than the other guy and this was the result. Lark.

270 short for sure. Loader with a 130 gr accubond I get 3345 out of mine. This is out of a 23 inch barrel. I have some big, heavy, LLLOOONNGGG 30 cals that are just a pain to carry while hunting. The 270 wsm is a short action rifle, that can, and does get max speed out of a relatively short barrel with moderate recoil... Nuff said. For everything in Arizona smaller than elk, I think it is very hard to beat. Match it up with a good scope with target turrets, and you have a deer killing machine.

Whitey

Ammo companies and gun manufacturers have officially hooked us. There have been rounds out for decades that will do what the 20 zillion shorts and wildcats will do. They gave us a new excuse to buy more rifles. I'll stick to my '06

I shot a Remington SPS Chambered in 300WSM Which I sent to VAIS ARMS in Hondo, TX. for a Muzzlebrake, glass bedding and stock work. The rifle was then fitted with a NIKON MONARCH 5-20X42MM BDC Scope. I shoot 165gr. Barnes Triple-X out the end of the rifle at over 3300fps and can consistently put those rounds into a 18"X18" box @ 500yds. This !s round can be used kill ANY critter walking on the North American Continent ;) just my opinion...

post-3570-1257355163_thumb.jpg

Get a 7mm WSM!!! WHEN IT COMES TO BULLET SELECTION WITH HIGHER BALLISTIC COEFFICIENTS the 7mm will smoke the .270

7mm STW is even better.

I shot a Remington SPS Chambered in 300WSM Which I sent to VAIS ARMS in Hondo, TX. for a Muzzlebrake, glass bedding and stock work. The rifle was then fitted with a NIKON MONARCH 5-20X42MM BDC Scope. I shoot 165gr. Barnes Triple-X out the end of the rifle at over 3300fps and can consistently put those rounds into a 18"X18" box @ 500yds. This !s round can be used kill ANY critter walking on the North American Continent ;) just my opinion...

Great looking buck btw, but 18" by 18" at 500 isn't that impressive, and most good 300's with a bit of work should do alot better.

I like the .270 wsm. That is my choice, except my 300 ultra shooting 210 vld's :)

This !s round can be used kill ANY critter walking on the North American Continent ;) just my opinion...

You mean like a 300 win mag, 7mm mag, 338 win mag etc. I wonder how we ever killed animals and humans past 300yds without these new engineering marvels :rolleyes:

Nice buck by the way.

Let me say, I don't think these newer rounds are bad, I think they work very well. I just wouldn't trade in my trusted guns for one with the illusion that they are that much better.

hahahaha :rolleyes: sorry not trying to yell :P

I guess i should hone my skills to be with 12" @ 500yds. , but I try not to shoot at these extremes often since I dont practice at the range much more than 3 times a year. I rather stalk in as close as possible and use my bowhunting skills to get within range and POWWW! :lol:

THANKS for the compliments on my Muley..

post-3570-1257528659_thumb.jpg

what about the 308