Sign in to follow this  
AZ RANGER

Opening morning success

This morning I tagged along with my long time friend and his girlfriend Erin on her first whitetail hunt. The morning started off a liitle hectic when I rolled over in bed and seen that it was 30 mins. past the time I set my alarm for. Somehow it had not gone off. I scrambled out the door and met up with them and we were off. We got to our spot and started hiking up the steep canyon to our vantage point. We get set up and start glassing.

www.jpg

Almost instantly after getting behind my binos I spot three deer moving through a saddle. One of them is a little fork horn. I watch them for a couple of minuets thinking that would be a great first deer, but they quickly dissapear behind some brush and we never see them again. A little later we pick up three does feeding on the same hill. After watching them for a while and deciding there are no bucks with them I move my focus to a different hillside. I find one doe feeding down the ridge but no more bucks.

By then it was about 0830 and we decide to climb up and over so we could glass the shady canyon behind us. But when we get to the top we kick out a spike and a doe at about 250 yards. Erin tries to get set up on the spike but the deer quickly get out of range without any shots. Right then we look down and see 3 bucks below us on the other side at about 150 yards. Erin repositions and gets set up for a shot. We were in a perfect position for these deer and they had no idea we were there. She finds one in the scope of her Rem.700 .243 and makes a perfect shot. I watch through the binos and see a chunk of hide fly off and the buck drops dead in his tracks. Somehow she managed to stay completely calm under pressure. But my buddy sitting right next to her trying to coach her was breathing heavy and his heart was racing. By 9am it was all over. She had her first deer down

Right after the shot.

012.jpg

Walking up on her buck.

018-1.jpg

A great first coues.

022.jpg

030.jpg

That is a great first buck...congrats to Erin and a dang good shot. Way to go girl. ;)

Awesome story, Scott! Thanks for sharing it. Man you're buddy is kinda puney? :blink: ;) Did he stick that buck in his back pocket to carry it out? :lol:

Awesome story, Scott! Thanks for sharing it. Man you're buddy is kinda puney? :blink: ;) Did he stick that buck in his back pocket to carry it out? :lol:

[/quote

Yeah he is a little malnutritioned LOL.

It works out pretty good having him along when you get an animal down. Plus if I ever break a leg while out hunting he could just carry me out of there, but that deal only goes one way, cause he's sol if I got to carry him out.

NIce!! Getting a little warm-up! Cory was telling me about this earlier today when he called.

Congrats to Erin!

See you tomorrow.

Jeff

Awesome!!!!

Both, my wife and daughter hunt. The best experience of my life is taking my girls out hunting.

Congrats on a great deer.

Brent