Sign in to follow this  
Coues Archer

Cleaning optics!!!!

Just wondering how you clean your optics because i was told that cleaning the optic lenses with alchohol can mess the coatings up. Is it true or is it a bluff. Just wondering! What methods do you guys use to clean your optics.

Most of my optics are Swarovski so I am picky about how I clean them simply due to the cost factor. I cannot afford to screw up my lenses. I use the Swarovski lens cleaning kit. It contains a fine brush to brush debris off the lenses and a spray on solution and disposable wipes. It works very good and has never scuffed or scratched my lenses. It is the only cleaning kit I will use on my El's and I use the same kit on all of my optics including my rifle scopes which are not Swarovski but my cheapest one is over 1300 bucks new. All my lenses are in near perfect condition. Any minor flaws are from other issues and not from cleaning.

To answer you question about alcohal, it can be hard on the coatings.

1. First I blow them off with a can of compressed air. Get it at your local camera dealer.
  2. Wipe them off with a camel hair camera lens brush
  3. Repeat with the can of air
  4. Partially wet a micro fiber camera lens cloth with lens cleaning liquid
  5. Wipe with wet side of cloth
  6. Finish with dry side of cloth

I also have expensive optics and take care of them very well. Never short cut this cleaning process by just rubbing dusty lenses with your shirt and your lenses will always be scratch free. Just plan ahead by cleaning them after you use them so they will be ready to go when you are. Also, use your lens covers religiously!!!

Good luck!

• Like 3

they sell ziess disposable lens cleaners in individual packets with 50 or 100 in a box at sams club and walmart. they r small a great to throw in a pocket or pack for n the field cleaning or touch up. lense brush first

• Like 2

In the field, I blow air first with my mouth (try not to spit ;) ), then use the brush end of a lenspen, and finally one of the Zeiss/B&L lens wipes. I will not use the chamois pad end of the lenspen as any piece of grit captured will turn it into a grinding pad.

At home or camp, I start with a bulb air blower, then brush and lens wipe. If somehow mud is on the lens, then it gets flushed with tap water first.

• Like 1

distilled water in a squirt bottle. Then blow off the water with compressed air. I try to never wipe the lenses, even with the "lens cloth". The cloth might be soft but dirt and dust on the lens is not.

After scratching my vortex vipers cleaning them in the field. Iwent to a local camera shop and got a pro master cleaning kit. It has every thing ive needed soft bristles brush, lint free lens paper, distilled water to flush and lens spray all in a air tight case 4x3x1in.

http://www.promaster.com/products.asp?product=5513

Most of my optics are Swarovski so I am picky about how I clean them simply due to the cost factor. I cannot afford to screw up my lenses. I use the Swarovski lens cleaning kit. It contains a fine brush to brush debris off the lenses and a spray on solution and disposable wipes. It works very good and has never scuffed or scratched my lenses. It is the only cleaning kit I will use on my El's and I use the same kit on all of my optics including my rifle scopes which are not Swarovski but my cheapest one is over 1300 bucks new. All my lenses are in near perfect condition. Any minor flaws are from other issues and not from cleaning.

To answer you question about alcohal, it can be hard on the coatings.

Same for me...

distilled water in a squirt bottle. Then blow off the water with compressed air. I try to never wipe the lenses, even with the "lens cloth". The cloth might be soft but dirt and dust on the lens is not.

I've heard of this method. No chance of getting moisture under the lens?

The ziess wipes are NOT good for coatings. I learned the hard way..

After looking into it I now use Parker's Perfect because they are recommended by swaro and not expensive at all.

More D

The Ziess wipes are NOT good for coatings. I learned the hard way.

After looking into it I now use Parker's Perfect. It is what is recommended by Swaro and it is not expensive at all.

More D

Interesting post. I used the carbon end of the lens pen after using the brush, and it seemed to work pretty well. I don't think I will be getting another pair of binoculars again for a very long time, so I want to be as careful as possible. Are these the wipes recommended by swaro?

http://www.safetyglassesdirect.com/erb-safety-erb-15697/

Yes. You can also get a small spray bottle all the way up to a 32oz bottle. I purchased mine directly from Parker's.

I was wondering if anyone else had any negative experiences with the ziess wipes. I poked around on the internet for a few minutes and couldn't find a bad thing about them. They seem to be the standard.