Sign in to follow this  
AzPacknHorns

Early November was good to me

Opening morning I had this buck at 150 yds while trying to get into position to shoot, another buck that was with

him busted me and they all trotted off. Discouraged I thought to myself I had just blew the oppurtinity

of a lifetime. The next morning I found myself back on the same glassing hill in hopes of finding him again

when my uncle said " I got some deer and i think its him" not more than a few hundred yds from where we had

glassed him up the previous day. So down off the glassing hill we went the whole time I was telling myself if

I got another chance at him I had to make it count. Finally we had got to our spot where we thought the buck would

be but we couldnt find him. My uncle was trying to direct me but his vantage point and mine where way different

and I was getting really frustrated...Finally we located him on the next ridge in some thick trees just hoping he

would give me a shot, after 15 minutes or so he made his way into a small clearing and my uncle said its now or never

so he ranged him at 470 yds, I settled the crosshairs and let it fly.... "2 feet low!" chambered another round and let it fly again,

only this time the deer hunched up really hard and in a matter of 5 yds he was out of sight. As we waited for my uncle to

come down off the glassing hill neither one of us were sure where i had hit the buck. After another hour of straight uphill

climbing we had reached the spot we had last seen the buck but found nothing. After 20 minutes of searching i found good blood.

The buck had gone over the ridge and was heading into the thickest cover you could imagine. The blood trail was getting

less and less and we had been on it for 2 hours now. I was starting to get discouraged when i heard something in the bottom of

the canyon as I looked up I saw him coming across a small opening I took a quick shot I thought I hit him but I didnt see him

even flinch or bust out of the thick trees he was in. I lost sight of him so we set up the glasses and my uncle spotted him, I had

a tough time finding him through the scope so I took a quick look through his binos found a land mark and spotted him.

As I settled the crosshairs I said hes not getting away again and he didnt. That final shot put him down for good. I would like to

thank my uncle Bill and uncle Joe for their help on this hunt you guys made it an enjoyable memorable hunt.

post-1889-1257917238_thumb.jpg

darn gabe thats a great buck man, congrats man, glad to see you were able to get ur done! So did you get dennis on any bulls in sept? give me a call sometime man!!

Great deer!

Way to go Gabe! Thats an awesome buck!

Lance