standman

"Unlimited Take" San Carlos Lake

Just heard that it will be "unlimited take" at San Carlos Lake until January. You still must buy a fishing license but limits have been lifted. The gates at the dam will be reopened in the next couple of weeks. Sure is sad to see a great fishery go down the tubes for a while.

Brian

Wow, I just came here to post that. You are fast!

Yes, it's true. The lake is in bad shape and they are hoping to avoid a massive fish kill, so get out there and grab all you want.

You need to still have a fishing permit, but the daily bag limit is waived on all species from Nov 16 to Dec. 31, 2009.

Amanda

Wow..... That lake sure has seen the ups & downs over the years.

I remember as a kid growing-up in Kearny we would float & fish the Gila below the lake frequently. We depended on that lake and river for lots of fun growing-up, and it always delivered! ;)

S.

:)

Just heard that it will be "unlimited take" at San Carlos Lake until January. You still must buy a fishing license but limits have been lifted. The gates at the dam will be reopened in the next couple of weeks. Sure is sad to see a great fishery go down the tubes for a while.

Brian

Very sad indeed..Just when it was becoming one of the states best fisheries.. Won't happen again in our lifetime unfortunately.. Last trip a few channel cats measuring under four inches were caught. It is that bad... They are hungry and stressed.. very sad. :(

I have been fishing at San Carlos since I was since I was knee high to...well my dad of course...It has been one of states best fisheries several times since I can remember. It has alway seemed to be sort of a roller coaster with this lake.

San Carlos has provided me with many many great experiences. My first top water bass, My first Spinnerbait bass, My first time having a single crappie hook up on 2 jigs at once on opposite sides of the boat, First time getting stuck in mud up to the doors, first and only time seeing a bass eat a duckling :( :lol: This is where I leanred what a shad boil was, how to flip a jig, how to fish the sticks with a Spinner. Yes it is sad indeed.

Wonder how long before it will recover...Does anyone have any more info? are they Lowering it to work on the dam?

Wonder how long before it will recover...Does anyone have any more info? are they Lowering it to work on the dam?

From what I understand the San Carlos tribe does not own the water rights. The farmers down river do and they are using it for irrigation. The gates on the dam were closed but from what I understand they were not supposed to be closed. So now they have to be opened again and without a miracle there probably will be a fish die off. A few years ago, I believe J.D. Hayworth stepped in when the lake got real low and worked out a deal for water to be diverted from somewhere else so the lake wouldn't go dry. Maybe too late for any help now.

I also grew up on this lake and my dad has been fishing it for over 40 years. It is sad to see my favorite lake in the shape that it is in now. But it will come back, it has before.

Brian

that lake has been dangerously low year after year for several years,and the good thing about it i guess is that with some winter runoff in the white mountains the lake seems to survive.There has been several years where the depth finder on the boat read 8ft in the middle of the lake,so what i am trying to say is that it has the potential to refill really fast,lets keep our fingers crossed,because that is a springtime crappie haven.

Now is a good time to take pics and mark structure on your GPS so that you know what the bottom looks like and where to fish when the water comes back

Now is a good time to take pics and mark structure on your GPS so that you know what the bottom looks like and where to fish when the water comes back

Excellent idea!

I have not been up there since before they let it loose but from past experience I think there will still be some great crappie fishing to come. (I Hope).

In the meantime Ill be sticking closer to home and spooning LMs at Canyon and Saguaro and then hitting Rosey for some Smallies in Feb. :) I'll be listinging closely to what people are saying on San Carlos as it is still one of my favorite Spring time lakes!