Sign in to follow this  
cbryant11

Any Bulls in the late archery yet?

Going up to 23 to check my trail cam on Tuesday. Might have some on camera. If no tags are filled send me a pm for directions. Will post the pics if their there...

hardest elk hunt i have done. its basically a rifle elk hunt but you can only use a bow. the elk are silent and since they have been shot at for a while they are in the thick stuff.

post-692-1258684268_thumb.jpg

hardest elk hunt i have done. its basically a rifle elk hunt but you can only use a bow. the elk are silent and since they have been shot at for a while they are in the thick stuff.

+1

I had one of these tags last year boy is it difficult and frustrating.

I guided Laurel Sroufe on her first Archery elk hunt in 5bs. I will have to say she did a good job and hunted hard with us. I thought the hunt was going to be mainly a evening type hunt at water and feeding areas , but it turned out this hunt was mainly a morning hunt. We basically got into areas I knew the bulls we frequenting and listened for sparing , when I heard them we would then make a stalk. Friday of the hunt was pretty slow not much action, Saturday we were in the middle of 11 bulls but just couldn’t make it happen, Sunday we followed three bulls but again couldn’t get it done, Monday we had them all figured out and two coyotes messed it all up, and on Tuesday it all came together. Laurel shot this bull at 20 yards between a feeding and bedding area. This is her second animal with a bow, she harvested a 87” coues buck with us in January , and Her husband harvested this bull also in 5bs with us in September.

post-412-1258690338.jpg

post-412-1258690382.jpeg

post-412-1258690417_thumb.jpg

Job well done on a nice Nov archery elk hunt and welcome to the site. Whats the story of that bull?

+1 on a great bull. Please tell us about your hunt?

Thanks guys. All the bulls in my area were apparently hitting the water in the middle of the night. All I've seen moving around during the day were the cow/spike herds. I'd scouted around and setup in between the bedding and feeding/water areas. It was sooo cold and sleety that by day two I'd decided that any bull with so much as a fork was a shooter. On morning number three (of very cold mornings), this guy was working his way along a ridge back to his bedding area and I was fortunate enough to make a play on him. As luck would have it, the little bit of moisture that came down on opening day made stalking a very quiet affair. 28 yard shot with a hellrazor sealed the deal and I'm a very happy camper!

I put up a post a week or so ago but I got my first archery bull opening day. Great hunt, one of the most rewarding hunts I have ever been on. Here it is again.

post-3645-1259007589_thumb.jpg

Congrats to the lucky ones!

This hunt is being offered to (forced on) us bowhunters so G&F can reduce and take away our rut hunt tags. If all bowhunters stopped putting in for this almost impossible hunt, we could force g&f stop reducing our rut hunt tags. Something to consider.

Mark

This hunt is being offered to (forced on) us bowhunters so G&F can reduce and take away our rut hunt tags. If all bowhunters stopped putting in for this almost impossible hunt, we could force g&f stop reducing our rut hunt tags. Something to consider.

Mark

good job on the your bulls. got to agree 100% I will never apply for these hunts.

Mark

While I see your point, and will never do this hunt again, How do you explain the proposed 4.5% reduction in archery tags and a proposed increase of 3% in RIFLE tags for next year? I see no evidence that the nov archery tags are intended to reduce rut hunt tags. What I DO see is a shift in bias toward rifle hunters. Something else to consider.

How do you explain the proposed 4.5% reduction in archery tags and a proposed increase of 3% in RIFLE tags for next year? I see no evidence that the nov archery tags are intended to reduce rut hunt tags.

The number of rifle/archery/muzz tags is based on the pie allotment formula using 5 years of application data and harvest data. Demand is based on first choices only (not first and second choices, which in my mind would be more accurate since the first choice is often a dream/hope hunt and the second choice is more realistic)

From page 3 of the recommendations:

The Department is recommending continued allocation of pem1its by weapon type using the

Commission approved weapons allocation fonnula. Bull and antlerless elk harvests are aIIocated

by sex and weapon type using five-year averages of first-choice application demand and fiveyear

averages of hunt success by weapon type; limited opportunity hunts are excluded from this

aIIocation deteffi1ination. The Commission directed the Department to aIIocate at least 5% of the

total available elk peffi1its as antlerless elk pennits to juniors-only seasons to address hunter

recruitment goals. The pemit allocation in this package for juniors-only antlerless elk pemnts

represents 5.4% of the total recommended elk pennits.

Not including limited opportunity or juniors-only hunts, the targeted and reconm1ended

allocations for bull and antlerless elk peffi1its are as foIIows:

Bull Elk:

65% general

30% archery

5% muzzleloader

Recommended

65% general

30% archery

5% muzzle loader

The department agreed to not shift the number of Sept archery bull tags to the Nov archery hunt for 3 years. Thus you do not see any changes to the Nov hunt numbers...yet. This is the second year of the Nov hunt. As you know, the Nov archery elk hunt is a way to get more hunters in the field at a reduced success rate (at the probable expense of the Sept hunt permit numbers in the future).