Sign in to follow this  
CouesWhitetail

elk antler over my fireplace

Hey All,

Thought you might enjoy this pic. Awhile back Jim Mullins sent me several hides, skulls and antlers so I could use them in the educational presentations that I do about AZ wildlife. Jim was amazingly generous in what he gave me! In addition to some great pelts and skulls, he sent me a matching set of large elk sheds and I was keeping them put away, but I kept thinking they were too nice not to have out for people to see. So my neighbor came up with a good way to hang it over my fireplace. I LOVE it!! Thanks Jim!!

Now that the weather has turned cold I will get to have a fire most every night!!

post-1-1259163688.jpg

Amanda

Looks good Amanda, I can't imagine not having antlers laying around my house.

--Bill

OK now how did he get it to mount that way to the wall. My two boys want them hung in there room with my other racks. If you hang them the other way they never look right, but the way you had it done sure shows the horn very well.

OK now how did he get it to mount that way to the wall. My two boys want them hung in there room with my other racks. If you hang them the other way they never look right, but the way you had it done sure shows the horn very well.

We hung it with 20# test fishing line. and it's hung so that the fishing line enters the ceiling up near the wall and then angles out to the antler so it sort of pulls it in toward the wall. And the very tip of the 5th tine is wedged ever so precariously in the millimeter of lip in the flagstone there.

Originally we talked about drilling into the mortar between the flagstone and using metal brackets, but we were too scared of cracking the stone.

Amanda

Sweet bone over the fireplace... I can picture the light catching the tines and the snow falling outside the window...

I LOVE any kind of antler art!

AzP&Y

It looks like a great place to hang those stockings for Christmas too! Although some members might want to use heavier test line to hold those lumps of coal they might be getting in their stockings. ;)