coues7

What do you pack for lunch

One ham and cheese sandwich, two granola bars, Recees Peanut Butter cups, and water. That will usually keep me out all day.

Wilderness Athlete Bars... those rock..

J

+1

Just started using those on my last two hunts. They are great fuel! I like the hydrate and recover and focus drink mixes too.

Amanda

I really like to take Beanee Weanees because not only are they good but they supply a whopping 250 calories and have 15 grams of protein. They pack easy, have an easy open top and after I'm done I smash the can and put it into a zipplock bag to pack out. I also take some Snack Pack puddings and some Sweet and Salty Granola bars. Another thing I like to pack is a frozen 8oz package of cheese and some bagels. When it is lunch time the cheese is soft enought to cut and put on the bagels.

Rod

The Peanutbutter bacon and honey sandwiches are my favorite.Bagel and hard salami is good. Stole em from Cameron H. I like to put some gatorade powder in my bladder-

When I plan on a hike...

Spam or Tuna

Crackers

Jerky

Craisens

Pinons!!!

Bighunk Bar

Peanut Butter Wrap (fresh tortillas!)

and when its cold either a thermos of hot water with spicy ramen or Beef Broth!

Just a sit and glass, I load what ever I can in the cooler!

Sometimes it is a sandwich, chips, cookies or candy bar and fruit - put in a Gal ziplock with some air in it and it will keep the chips from getting crushed. Other times burrito's or tamales, wrap in tin foil, build a small fire and warm em up. Or oysters, kipper snacks or sardines and crackers - same Gal ziplock to protect the crackers. I have a canteen cup and have been known to brew up coffee, tea or make a hot soup/stew sitting on a hill, a small fire and 15 minutes and you have something warm. I have a seal-a-meal and will make packets of onion soup and Minute Rice, shave in a little jerky and it makes a nice hot meal. Or potato soup mix and a can of oysters make a good stew with crackers. The nice thing about the canned fish is you can heat them up on a small fire to have a warm meal. I usually have a few left over MRE's from fires so I have packed them also, they have up to 1300 calories if you eat everything, since I don't I have lots of various things - crackers, cheese spreads, jelly, fruit, candy - leftover that I can throw in my pack. One thing I ALWAYS have is a can of Mandarin Oranges, these things are instant energy, good thirst quenchers and I just like them. The weather dictates what I am packing more than anything else, nothing like something hot in you on a cold day. You don't need a big fire, something you could cover with two hands is big enough, just use real dry wood and gets some coals going.

Wow! I never realized how important food is to some folks but I do now after reading all of these! Amazing how we seem to not be able to maintain or curb our appetite until we return to camp but as I am seeing that is not a problem with some of the seven course meals some of you take to the field with you. Too funny! :lol: Those sour balls they sell @ The Sportsmans Warehouse wet the whistle and provide some sugar rushes for me and also are a great throwing snack when your spotter is situated far enough away that you wish not to move. Also do the Clif bars and sometimes tobasco flavored cheese nips though the smell isn't something I like to spread throughout the countryside! Great ideas from this article though and sure was a hoot to read, thanks ya'all! No tooth brushes out there I noticed??? <_<

Guest 300ultramag.

i did jerky as well!! until a day in unit 27 i was huntin alone in the wilderness are and i started choking on a tough piece goin down.. i was alone and all i could think is "this has got to be the dumbest way to die":lol: :lol:

no more jerky for me!! :P

I pack enough so if I have to stay out over night I can, have before in the past and probably will again in the future. Plus, I hunt by myself for my tags, no one is going to miss me for a few days if something happens to me. Water will be an issue.

braed and crown prince smoked oysters are a good treat. the snickers bars, peanut crackers are all good bu try putting some of the above in the back pack you'll like it

it depends....going through Globe/Miami: Burger House, Tony's special x2....THat burro is the best! ;)

in 23....Antler's WAS worth the trip in to town :(

Dec/Jan...the thermos is the way to go..posole or albondigas are the BEST...pop this open in front of your partner and you will have a NEW best friend...also, the leftover tamales are easily packable....If not available, any soup will do w/oyster crackers

for ALL DAY creepn'...granolas/jerky and lots of water....

I have some of the new MRE's and they are great. Not all of them but most of them are good. It is nice to have a hot meal up on the hill.

I also like to pack jerky and Walmart trail mix.

You are correct in thinking this way my friend as I always used to figure a worst case scenario when I hunted alone! Water would be my main concern and now I carry ultralight purifiers so if I know there is water in the mountains I am hunting I am good to go! Water and a poncho liner and I am squared away! Happy hunting Slim!

I pack enough so if I have to stay out over night I can, have before in the past and probably will again in the future. Plus, I hunt by myself for my tags, no one is going to miss me for a few days if something happens to me. Water will be an issue.

The older I get the more I realize that not only do I need to worry about what goes in... I need to what goes out and when it goes out...

Burritos... NO GO... They stay in the truck... :D :D :D :D :D

BW - I had a filter straw I picked up from Cabela's about 10 years ago, drank out of many a tank and G&F guzzler with it over the years. I don't know how but I broke it, need to get another one. I usually leave camp with about 1 gal of water, a 2 liter bladder and 3 or 4 bottles - a 2 day supply at most. If I am guiding I just carry the bladder and a spare bottle for my client, have had a few that didn't listen and left camp with 1 or 2 bottles at most. The spare bottle and the mandarin oranges got them back to camp and they left the next few days with plenty of water.