Sign in to follow this  
Lance

SNOW!!! Steaks On Ice!

Thought you would enjoy some Winter Wonderland pictures from this last Arizona cow elk hunt! Many camps and hunters got stuck in the snow with this last blizzard that came through Northern AZ. Our thoughts and preyers go out to those families who lost loved ones! :(

We killed a couple before the storm, then elected to stay home and drink hot chocolate during the storm. ;) Afterwords we ventured out into an elk hunters "White Wonderland of elk steaks on ice"! :rolleyes: These last two cows mark the 25th and 26th big game kills that I've been on in the last three months. I am truly counting my blessings! The deep snow made them very unique and enjoyable. Enjoy!

Lance

post-669-1260582799_thumb.jpg

post-669-1260582834_thumb.jpg

post-669-1260582891_thumb.jpg

post-669-1260582915_thumb.jpg

post-669-1260582990_thumb.jpg

post-669-1260583113_thumb.jpg

post-669-1260583223_thumb.jpg

post-669-1260583258_thumb.jpg

As always Lance, thanks for sharing. I bet you're ready for a break. That's alot of hunts. I'm sure your hunters are very well pleased. :)

TJ

Between the buffalo and these cows, you have certainly shown an attraction to hunting in the snow.

Did you notice the elk/deer migrating to lower country, or were they just hanging about?

Between the buffalo and these cows, you have certainly shown an attraction to hunting in the snow.

Did you notice the elk/deer migrating to lower country, or were they just hanging about?

Doug

With how dry its been I cant think of when I have hunted in so much snow during a season! The spring buffalo/turkey, General deer on the Bab, Late rifle bull and now the late cow hunt. It seems its been snowing every couple weeks!

There were plenty of cow elk still up high all over above the rim.

As the pictures above show, if you were willing to trudge through the deep snow to get to them, you could gather them up with a butterfly net!

But the snow was just to deap to get to most of them. Hiking a mile in the deep snow is tough enough, and then to pack one out :blink: :lol:

After a deep snow packout, we headed down below the rim for the 6A hunt and had our pick at what ones were closest to the road for the easest pack out ;) Plenty of elk had migrated down.

Lance

About 20 years ago while in college at NAU, my buddy shot a cow outside of Flag in similar conditions. After gutting the elk, he hiked out to a road and flagged someone down. This was before cell phones and he asked the person to call me when they got to a phone. They were very nice and actually called me to let me know he had an elk down. I knew exactly where he was. After driving out to the spot, I hiked in with my wooden toboggan in tow and the two off us pulled this cow out. I could not believe how easy it was.

So, if you see a guy with a toboggan on a late elk hunt, don't laugh - it can make life easier......

Sam