Sign in to follow this  
bonecollector

Opening Day Stalk

I didn't have much time to hunt yesterday because my wife for some reason scheduled her ultrasound to find out the gender of our baby on the first day of hunting season. I decided to go hunting anyway knowing I had to be back to the valley early. I got to my glassing spot and it wasn't 5 minutes I glassed up 2 deer, 2 bucks. I kept watching them and they were headed the same path they have been taking for the last month I had been scouting them. So before I start the stalk I take a good look again and now there are 5 deer. So I figure its going to be a tough stalk having to deal with 10 eyes and 10 ears, but there is no time to waste I have to be back home to take the wife to the doc. So I start my stalk and keeping an eye on the deer every 50 yds or so. I am trying to beat them to their crossover spot on the ridge trying to be quiet and the ground is frozen so its crunching everytime I take a step. The next ime I stop to find the deer their gone I cant find them anywhere. So I sit and glass for a while and cant find them. I decide to keep going and all of a sudden I have this buck staring right at me at 135 yds right in the open. We both stay still just staring at each other not moving an inch. He stomps his leg a few times then wheezes then he's gone not to be seen again. I have been after this deer since earlier in the year, he won again. :( Here is a pic of him.

post-3465-1260637120_thumb.jpg

At least you got to put a stalk on him. That would be a good buck with a bow! All I saw with my dad was a couple of does opening morning. We did hear a rockslide way up the mountain and find a couple nice rams that had just fought. The bigger one won and headed up the mountain to take his prize. It was pretty cool watching big horns in the rut.

Great report, thanks!!

So, what is the gender of your baby? :)

Amanda

Well we ar having another girl, I already have a 3yr old girl she is excited she wanted a sister! Thanks for asking.

Great report, thanks!!

Amanda

LOL that was my first question too! :lol: Nice pic and story, no ultrasound picture to go along with the trail cam pic??? ;)

Great report, thanks!!

Amanda

LOL that was my first question too! :lol: Nice pic and story, no ultrasound picture to go along with the trail cam pic??? ;)

post-3465-1260673759_thumb.jpg

She is due in early May.

Absolutely awesome! Congrats on your new baby. The deer can wait - by the way, very nice write-up. Now go kiss your wife's tummy. :lol:

Oh....WOW now that's an awesome picture!!! Too cool, thanks for sharing and a big Congrats again to you and your young family!

I really enjoyed reading your post and seeing the new addition to the family. That is the best pic I have ever seen on here. She looks so peaceful. You are a blessed man and thanks for sharing her with us. I would quess to say that she is the youngest member to ever be posted on cwt. Sweet! :)

TJ

when my wife and i had an ultrasound done way back when, we had to have someone tell us what it was we were lokking at, now the detail is so good you can know what your child looks like before he/she is even born.................its pretty cool................. congrats on the new baby!! oh yeah and getting back on time for the Doctors apt.

wow that is an awesome picture... when I had my son and daughter the pictures were nowhere near this quality...