Sign in to follow this  
RTAYLOR

WHAT UNIT ??????????????

Why is it that every time i go to the game and fish web site and look at the "your photos" i see these great pics, then i see some @ss asking what unit and it makes me sick. ya i have to give credit to friends for great hunting spots, but you still have to find them and shot them!!!! What unit-get out of the truck some time and you might find some deer

Well, it's a big state covered with tens of thousands of miles of good habitat, and lots of new guys have no idea where to get started. I don't blame people for asking what unit - they simply don't understand that most units in this state have tons of good deer - some very close to home. You are right, they need to get out and do the legwork, but everyone's got to start somewhere.

Not taking sides, but if someone asking for as general a piece of information as the unit a good buck was taken gets you that defensive, just remember, there are lots of people who didn't grow up in hunting families who just want to get out there and be a part of all this - can you blame them? It's freakin' awesome. Imagine driving around this state and NOT wondering what kind of bucks live in the habitat you're driving through, and then imagine realizing it but not having the slightest idea how to get started. Even if they knew what units produced big bucks - which, lets be honest, is most of them at one time or another, doesn't mean they are going to diminish your chances in the field.

Of course, I'm assuming that most of these comments come from total newbies - there are plenty of guys who think they're going to get GPS coordinates to the next record book buck while surfing the 'net, but I think they are an insignificant minority.

I believe in helping new hunters out, so long as they are willing to do the work, and pass their knowledge along at some point.

Just my take, have a very merry Christmas.

Jason

Good comments AZOnecam.

I always ask what hunt/unit? I don't want to know any secrets about where they hunted. They can have their precious secrets. I just want to put more story to the kill. If they say it was an early rifle bull hunt in a primo unit and they have shot a small 6pt bull then I can learn alot about their hunt they are telling about. If it was a small 6pt bull in a tough unit on a tough hunt then it may be much, much more of a trophy than what you can tell by looking at just the picture.

If your gonna show a picture then, thats just a small peice of the story. If someone asks me what unit, I always tell. If they ask me where in the unit, now thats another story.

But if askin "what unit", makes me a back side, that never gets off his backside then by all means, it sounds good to me! I could use a little back side sittin type hunting for a while. ;)

Lance

ya everybody wants to know what unit deer come from, but i guess i was a little frustrated when i see the same user name asking what unit on the gaem and fish website asking the same question "what unit." im all for helping people out like azonecam explained "newbiee," but when some guy i come in contact while hunting driving down the road with a beer in his hand and asks me "where at" just makes me mad

once we were skinnin' a big ol' buck at my dad's house and a guy dropped by and started wanted to know exactly where it came from. my ol' man asked him why he even bothered because he knew we were gonna lie to him. Lark.

I have no problem with peopel asking what unit, I am the opposite than you, I would prefer that people post the unit of the kill. I always do with all my kills and photos. Dont get me wrong Im not going to give the honey hole away, but it would be nice to see what unit some of the trophies this state has to offer are coming from. Im not worried about other hunters going into the units I hunt, I can out glass, hike, hunt most hunters in this state. So it doent bother me one bit.

I can out glass, hike, hunt most hunters in this state

and you are humble too. What a guy!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

So if you tell someone what unit you shot your trophy in, you think everyone is going to go there and get a trophy too?? I'll tell people whatever they want to know. If they dont get off there butts like the previous posts say, telling them the unit doesnt matter one bit. Besides, look at how big units are, as long as you dont give your secret spot away, telling them your unit isnt going to matter one bit. There are animals everywhere, and they dont belong to one or a few people, they are there for everyone. There effort and time in the woods is what makes them succesful, not me telling them the Unit I killed in. I don't get people who hoard info. Helping people alittle gets more people into the sport ;) .

I ask all the time. Just like the whole story. I can picture it better if I know what terrain they are hunting in. I have my own spots, and never hunted an area because someone else had success there.

I am always afraid to ask what unit for fear of this kind of response, but I too like to know the unit simply for getting more to the story. I have lots of areas that I hunt, all of them are public anyway, but I do not give them away to anyone not closely related to me because I do not know who they will tell. More times than I care to admit, I have given quite generic and sometimes incorrect information to those same beer holding, road hunting slobs that often never leave the view of their vehicle.

However, asking the unit does not mean you are giving away your honey hole by any stretch. It adds to the story. I also like knowing the terrain. The terrain I hunt whitetails the last few years has not been pinon juniper or scrub oaks, but seeing pictures of these beautiful deer that people are shooting enriches the story and gets me the itch to get higher into the hills. Right now I hunt lower elevations, around 2800-3300 feet, but I sure like to see those pictures of 5000-7000 foot elevations with nice deer. Especially for that early hunt in late October when the temps are still pushing 90+ daily.

I guess what I am saying is that asking the unit should not be a sin, nor frowned upon. Hunting units are huge, and giving away secret spots is not the same as giving away unit numbers.

I think it is funny that guys don't just up and say what Unit they got their animal ... Personally when I get a Monster be it coues or any other game I will shout it out with glory what unit the kill came from .... I would want to share it with the fellow hunters especially the ones that were hunting the same unit who may have not been as lucky sometimes seeing others success can bring happiness after a bad hunt where to many guys use the excuse that there just must not be any deer/elk/turkey ect... left .... A unit does not give up where you killed it and if your worried about that don't take any field pics because there is much info to be told in just looking at a pic .... sometimes down to exactly where not just what unit and 80 percent of the time there is enough info to at least narrow it down to a few units ... So why complain

Azonecam

"Of course, I'm assuming that most of these comments come from total newbies - there are plenty of guys who think they're going to get GPS coordinates to the next record book buck while surfing the 'net, but I think they are an insignificant minority."

Azone you mean you cant find detailed info online ...... Guess it depends on where you look if they look hard they might find some info like this that I found.....

post-1321-1261595469_thumb.jpg