Good Evening!

We were lucky enough to get drawn for 36B. I was wondering, if in anyone knew wether we should be concerned about, and I am trying to be delicate here, the potential problems with illegal immigrants, or for that matter, the MinuteMen, or whomever else may be down in that area.

I was reading a copy of "Backpacker" magazine, and it describes large areas along the border being trashed with diapers, water jugs, discarded clothes, etc. And, of course the land owners on the eastern side of the state have had problems with vehicle thefts, etc.

So for those of you who frequent this area, any nasty experiences? Any reason to be more on guard then any other hunt? About 10 years or so ago we hunted 35a and B I believe, and were right along the border. It was a great hunt, so maybe I'm paranoid. I appreciate any input.

Greg

I also got drawn for 36b. I hunt down there alot for quail. There is alot of trash and stuff like that and there is alot of traffic. I would recommend getting a group to camp with so you dont need to worry about it and have 2 or 3 people with you out in the field.

I believe it was 36b that last year had a hunter killed in his camp. He was alone and the story came out initially he was killed by a bear or lion. The autopsy came in and he was shot and killed first, then mauled later.

Not sure if the authorities ever caught the suspects. Another post in the same thread aI believe talked about hunters who encountered illegals. Most of them are "distressed" anyway from the journey, but the drug and human smugglers are not in that class. they would kill you just to keep you from identifying them or their routes.

I suggest you talk to border patrol and see if your camp is going to be in a hot zone. And camp with others, but above all, stay vigilant. In those units, there is at least a degree or 2 more of risk, somewhat more than other units.

A number of years ago, I camped near Pena Blanca lake on a deer hunt. During the course of that hunt, we saw soldiers in Mexican uniforms on the US side of the border and witnessed a gun battle involving full-auto weapons with US authorities. This was in early 90's- can't imagine it's much better now- most guys I know who hunt there- go into town each night and stay in a house. The whole border is getting trashed. I have flown it several times and hovered over ridges- every ridgeline near the border is a UDA trail and littered with water bottles and other garbage- it is really appalling.

The hunter that was killed a year or two ago was in 34A by Helvetia which is on the Northern end of the Santa Ritas, 40 miles north of the border, a very rare incident. The camping part is the part I won't do anymore so I like to day hunt. Heres what I would do, stay at Rio Rico resort, get up early, drive to where you want to hunt. Hunt till dark and go back and eat in the dining room.

i have hunted 36b for the last 6 years, and there hasnt been a year that has gone by that i havent seen anywhere from 5-15 illegals on a 4 day hunt. and be very careful while driving the roads down there, both the border patrol and the illegals will drive those roads like a bat out of heck at night with no lights on!! i cant tell u how many times ive almost been hit by both, with no regards for anyone else. most of the time u will glass the illegals up, but i have had them as close as 15 yards, none of them saw me thank god!! on a better note, i recomend taking a lion tag have seen alot of them as well.

My hunting buddies have hunted 36b for at least 15 years and I have hunted it about 10 yrs. We have definitely seen a worsening of the problems during that time. I would recommend you be safe but not paranoid. In all these years we have had one vehicle broken into. As I recall a knife and some chips and water were stolen. The footprints indicated that it was illegals. We have always camped in 36b for all of these hunts and never had much problem. Keep in mind most of the illegals want to keep a low-profile and are unarmed. They will run and hide from you most of the time. The scary ones are the drug-runners and the human-smugglers. They don't want to draw attention either but they can be well-armed.

I don't know that I would be comfortable camping down there by myself like I have in the recent past but I wouldn't hesitate to camp with my buddies there.

Just my 2 cents.

Lee

My dad and I have been hunting in 36B for about 10 years and we go almost all the way to the border. We haven't had any problems but we always stay close to other camps and we keep in touch with them. We've always gotten drawn for the October hunts when there are a lot of hunters down there, which obviously is going to be a little safer when there are more hunters around. We had some friends of ours that got the late hunt one year and when they got up to go out in the morning there was a group of about 15 illegals sitting outside their camp just sitting there waiting for them to leave camp. They decided to just pack it up and come home. Also, the smugglers are very aware of hunting season and use it to their advantage. They know that there is more traffic and try to blend in while driving. The best thing you can do if you're going to camp is have a big camp and put it close to another camp. That's what we always do and we haven't run into any problems yet. We'll be down there in the October hunt and if you want to camp close to us let me know. Also, now that quads have made traveling easier we are going to camp along the main road where there are more hunters camping.

You may be armed like the smugglers but you would not be out to kill someone to protect a secret.

The difference is they will shoot to kill and not give it a second thought.

I think we all agree the smugglers (drugs and humans) are the worst part of the problem. I am infuriated that no one in authority does anything significant to stop this situation from playing out every day. Mexico needs to clean up their problems and quit looking to the US to bail their sorry selves out.

I heard last week that the new border fence (concrete) is supposed to start construction soon. Something like 235 miles long and I think it starts around Nogales moving toward Yuma. How long will it be before Mexico uses Ronald Reagan's famous line about Tearing down this wall.

I have hunted the area for the last 20+ years and yes, it has gotten worse. There is not an area down there that is not littered with garbage, old clothing and water jugs. The minutemen are there occasionally as are the No More Deaths church groups and water station attendants. The area still holds lors of deer, you just have to stay frosty. Last years hunt we saw groups of 35+ illegal aliens making their way North. Good advice to have camps near one another, but the camp is at risk when noone is there during the day. Be ready for the BP presence as well as lots of law enforcement helicoptors, especially around the Arivaca lake area. Good luck- be safe

trufletch

:D

I have hunted 36a and b. I have also met people that either cross the Border Illegally and have heard of drug smugglers. The trash part is true, Lots of crap everywhere. :angry:

As far as the area being safe. I believe you have nothing to worry about! The illegals will run away if they spot you, and the smugglers will leave you alone as long as "you" leave them alone. If you see them acknowledge them and thats it. If you want to report them..... WAIT TILL THEY LEAVE!

The rule should always apply though "never hunt alone."

Have fun!

i have hunted in 36b for about 8 years. only 2 or 3 times have i seen people(tonks) in the area that i hunt but the trash and garbage is EVERYWHERE!!!! some of the places that we are in do not show signs of activity IE trash, no alien sightings etc. i used to never carry anything but my rifle. but the past few years, i have been carrying my xd-40 on my hip, cocked, locked and ready to rock! i have never had a problem with them knock on wood, but if i do, my dad and i are big enough, and usually cary enough fire power with us and speak enough spanish to keep them away from messing with us, or atleast we hope so!

36b is a great unit, I have spent a ton of hours within a 1/4 mile of the Border and never had an ounce of trouble. Although I would not camp by the border, I really don't think you have anything worry about.

I really don't think you need to be a "cocked, locked and ready rock" bad butt type to hunt down there. Just use your common sense and have a good time.