COOSEFAN

3 Weeks In Coues Heaven.......

A big congratulations to you Jim and the hunters. Looks like something that came out of a dream. And to be able to share in the hunt with Matt and Wayne will be something to remember along with all the other good times. Great looking bucks and I don't know if I would call it a mistake buck, beautiful looking animal with character. Excellent write up as always Congrats again.....Bryan

Thanks for sharing your 3 week adventure with us. Great write up and pics. Congrats to you and all your clients on some fabulous deer, broke or missjudged they are all great bucks to me. Congrats again.

Jim,

This has been eating at me ever since I read your post, so I can only imagine what you are going through ;) . But a couple reminders:

1. Shoot first and ask any questions later. ANYTHING can be fixed in Mexico with a few dollars. I would have flung lead after the hunt, from the highway, on a different ranch, with the Federales chasing me - to kill that deer unbroke. After the fact just play dumb (I excell at this), forget any Spanish you may know (pretty good at this also), and pull out your checkbook. If you don't have the $$, someone will help you out. Heck, call me even. I'd sell myself downtown to get you back in the US with that rack in your hands. That deer is just sick. It's INSANELY sad that he's busted.

2. Shoot him in the butt. It's a Coues deer and you have half a cannon in your hands. Put it on his culo, squeeze, and smile. My old man always told me, and still does, if that's the only shot you have - take it. I've followed that advice and I'm not ashamed to say I've used it. It puts these little Coues deer down like right now. At 120 yards that deer would have been just as dead as if you would have put it in the crease.

I know none of this stuff is anything you don't know. I just keep looking at that deer busted and get teary eyed. I had to vent ;)

Congrats again on a VERY memorable hunt.

I echo Kevin's words but would also like to add.....................your buck may qualify for the new world record jack-a-lope. That body is TINY the more I look at it.

I wanna come too Jim. I will fight Christian for the spot. I will open a can of whoop a@# on Chrissy and take his spot. Man you guys sure did a great job. Looks like there are some freakin hogs down there.

very nice. busted up buck is piggley..... and the pickup.. ummmm... speachless.

+1. Congrats Jim!!

Great story and pictures for sure. Congratulations on your buck and thanks for sharing everyone's story. Awesome! :)

TJ

Man, awesome stories !!!

I had a blast just reading them. I also can feel your pain, but still that is a very nice buck.

I am looking forward to your next endeavor down there.

Congratulations to your client and the other guys as well.

Sweet stories! Wow, congrats to all, what an experience for sure! And it aint nothin a taxidermist cant fix, it is the way it is, and adds to the story!

Lance

Great write up and pics Jim! You guys pulled some great looking critters and made some great memories. Thanks for sharing, great job!

Jay

Jimbo, I could not have done it without you and the hard work you put into every one of your hunts. Thank you again, I am thrilled with a 100 inch 2 point and the experience we all had those few days hunting in Mexico. Can't wait for next year...

That is one heck of a vacation!

All those bucks are keepers for sure.

Man oh man you are defiantely right about him not looking so big in the trail cam photo where he is all broke.

But the mass on that hog and beam length is incredible.

congrats to all the hunters on there success.

I have got to find a way to get down there.

Anybody want to buy a Kidney?

I wanna come too Jim. I will fight Christian for the spot. I will open a can of whoop a@# on Chrissy and take his spot. Man you guys sure did a great job. Looks like there are some freakin hogs down there.

I got dibbs on the winner, and will pack my bags and .257 wby now!

Awesome Jim, I sent you a PM.

Thanks a bunch for all the great reply's everyone!

My rifle was built by a friend of mine by the name Jim Mehl. It's a Rem. Mod 700 action, Hart barrel, Lazzeroni Thumbhole by Macmillan stock, 6.5x20x50 VX3 Leupold Long Range target scope, and it's all been seriously fine tuned and accurized by my friend. The gun only likes once fired brass and 180gr Nosler Ballistic Tips.

I wish you all could see that deer I shot in person, it's the craziest thing I've ever seen. The pic's don't illustrate it very much and I'm sitting pretty far back, look at my hand on his back in that one pic, kinda gives you a better idea on size. I have killed bigger javalina! His rack compared to his body size made him look huge framed and I never tried hard to identify any other details, I just knew it had to be the buck I messed up on. The rancher told us before hand that there was a smaller specie of coues in the tops of the mountains on his ranch. When he walked up to mine he motioned to me that what i killed was exactly what he told us about prior. Makes you wonder!

I know it's even hard to hear my story about passing that buck up, but just imagine how I felt that day and even today about it!!! IT SUCKS! But what made it worse was being in that position the very next day when the sun jammed me up on that shot... that buck was bigger!!! I had two solid mid 130" class or better bucks on the same hillside, passed one up multiple times and missed the other at less than 100 yards, that's hard to swallow for sure! Rookie mistakes and I've been beating myself up about em' ever since.

I know I should have shot and sorted it out later, but I honestly thought i had the time to get confirmation from the ranch owner, the buck was rutted up and stupid! I also know I should have taken the tail shot, I was rock solid on it, it was only 120 yards and I was shooting a 180gr bullet out of my .300 WinMag cannon, but it just didn't feel right at the time and again, I thought I was gonna get a broadside shot. There is a ton of things I should've done in hindsight, but doesn't change anything now. It's all good, I can say I wacked a coues with 1 shot at 756 yards.......and I guess I can now say I passed up a mid 130"s buck at 120 yards :ph34r:

It was an amazing experience and an incredibly humbling experience for me, but I guarantee you, I've never been more determined to kill a couple certain bucks than I am right now! I've got 2 130" class bucks and I know at least one is gonna eat lead next December....mark my words ;)

Thanks again guys for reading my story and for the great reply's! JIM>

Reading the story was harder than hearing over the phone Jimbo.... I feel your pain, Pal! Congrats on all the success down there. Hope we get to share a fire down there next winter.