Sign in to follow this  
fatfootdoc

Oryx hunt (off range)

So my son had a tag for March for off range oryx and unfortunately my wife had some tests that had to be done the day we were supposed to leave to go hunt. I have a good friend in Alamogordo who said he would meet us in Cruces and pick him up and take him out if I wanted him to go. So I of course said yes. I dont want my kids to miss out on things because their mom is sick so away he went. I had mixed emotions of course, I really wanted to hunt with him, but needed to be in Silver with my wife. So on the way to Cruces we talked about shot placement, his scope, getting a good rest and etc and how much he and I both wished I was going. So I dropped him off Thursday night, texted him to "shoot straight "Friday morning and this is the text I got back Friday at 1120 "I DID"

post-430-1267898367_thumb.jpg

post-430-1267898432_thumb.jpg

post-430-1267898509_thumb.jpg

SO needless to say I was very excited(little sad since I wasnt there) and was late finishing my am patients since I had to run around the office yelling "My son killed an oryx! My son killed an oryx! ... Wanna see a picture!(which they saw regardless if they said yes or no)

Anyway, He shot it with his 30 06 at 150 yards with a 150 gr sierra spbt it went a few yards and laid down behind a tree. He and my buddy were waiting for it to expire and some ranchhands drove up to feed their cattle(was on BLM) and saw them sitting on the 4 wheelers waiting, so the knotheads tried to run off his oryx because apparently it had been grazing with their cattle and was "a pet" and they did not want him to shoot it. Apparently the guys were not real cool ( I guess that was why I wasnt there, there would have been some bruised knuckles and bloodletting! :angry: probably would have ruined his hunt for him) but my son said he just said "Oh." walked over and shot the oryx from 20 yards to kill it. Classic!! This did not lessen his mood and he was and is stoked, It was a 27 inch cow and we are getting it european mounted. Not to mention lots of meat :rolleyes: Oryx is the best meat I have ever had. Anyway He had a blast and was happy. My buddy said the first shot was through the lungs and would have been fatal had the morons not shown up and tried to run it off.

Congratulations!!! I guided 2 hunters on the August off range hunt. One of them got a 41" cow, and the other hunter had a couple of oppurtunities but was unable to connect.

Awesome!! Congratulations to your son! Thanks for sharing his story with us. Nice shooting and I wish I lived out by you guys so I could share some of that Oryx meat with you!! It is great stuff!

Love this part of your story!!! Classic!

"SO needless to say I was very excited(little sad since I wasnt there) and was late finishing my am patients since I had to run around the office yelling "My son killed an oryx! My son killed an oryx! ... Wanna see a picture!(which they saw regardless if they said yes or no)"

Amanda

That is just way too cool!!!!!! Tell your son congrats! And good job on staying cool under pressure when the ranch hands tried to scare off his oryx! The beast is dead! long live the beast!!!!!!

That is just way too cool!!!!!! Tell your son congrats! And good job on staying cool under pressure when the ranch hands tried to scare off his oryx! The beast is dead! long live the beast!!!!!!

DEUCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! whats up!! ag

Congratulations to your son and great pictures. :)

TJ