joeybari

How long has it been since you been drawn for bull elk

Never. I've never been drawn for bull elk. Pretty successful at deer and Javelina. I'm thinking of blowing my points next year on a cow hunt. I know it sounds ... not very intelligent ... but I can't wait 16 years to get drawn.

3 years without getting pulled for an archery Elk tag and I've never been on an Elk Hunt of my own...

This blows!!!

detox

One word "Colorado"

Redman

Not to start an arguement, but generally speaking I don't think waiting periods usually have much of an effect on increasing draw odds. Look at states like Nevada and Utah which both have waiting periods and their odds are no better than Arizona. In fact in many cases they seem worse! I think New Mexico was going to try and start something like that this year and after looking at the data they decided that it wasn't going to create much of an advantage. I would also bet that many of the hunters that are drawing elk tags in consecutive years are not applying for high demand hunts. And on the flip side of that the guys that are waiting the longest are usually applying for the most difficult draw areas. I apply in 6 states every year and in my opinion Arizona has one of the best drawing systems. Perhaps the only way I see making it any better would be to do like Nevada and square your points so that 5 points means your name is in the hat 25 times and 10 points means your name is in the hat 100 times. But even without that Arizona has a very solid drawing system. Best of luck to everyone on the deer and sheep draws!

I don't know if it would be a better system or not. Most people that do draw consecutive are putting in for lesser demand hunts, but that's not who I'm talking about. I'm talking about the folks who have drawn Unit 9, 10, 8, 7W, etc. back to back or 3 outta the last 5 years, etc.! My thought on the 3 year wait for high demand hunts is that 3 years aint much to wait and it would keep me from having to hear about all the back to back "trophy" tags that people get! I'm seriously happy for and jealous of those folks, no doubt, but what about those folks that have 15, 16, 17 points?! I feel bad for those guys! Sure, those guys could put in for an easy tag with less trophy potential and get it, but after waiting that long I'd hate doing it! I'm only talking about the high demand tags, if they were limited to a waiting period it's gotta allow more folks a crack at em'?!?!

I remember a story, don't remember where I heard it, but it was from a guy who was really hoping his father would draw an elk tag. His father had a bunch of points and his health was failing him and his dad's longtime dream was to hunt a big bull elk in Arizona one last time before he died. It was his fathers deepest passion and their whole family prayed he would draw a tag because they knew how much it meant to him. They weren't putting in for early rifle tags in 9 or 10, they were just trying to get a good tag with a reasonable chance at a decent bull and kept getting rejected over the years. All the while they would hear every year of the guys drawing back to back trophy tags! That would suck! That story was from several years ago and it was after they found out he had again failed to draw a tag, and i think that was the last year they felt he would be able to hunt! Definitely hadn't forgotten about that story and think about it every year at this time. JIM>

I just want to hunt unit 1 or 27 one time then i would be happy the rest of my life 15 years never drawn a tag in AZ pretty sad!!

My brother and I drew unit 1 archery bull. I had nine points he had 16, 26 split between us. The last time I drew this tag I had 11 points. Thats just the way it is in AZ. I know it can be hard to take but it's the chance to join in on hunts with friends that get you through the long lean years.

I wish Arizona would multiply the bonus points for the higher demand/quality units. Possibly even raise the max bonus point pass from 20% to 30% as well. The units with draw odds 10-15% and above could stay with the current draw system.

If points were multiplied 1 pt=1 number, 4 pts=16 numbers, 10 pts=100 numbers etc. This would give people with more points a much better advantage in the draw for higher demand/quality units IMO.

Most people who like the system are the same ones who benefit from it year-after-year (not all, of course). That being said, I don't see how going to a waiting period could make things worse?

Couple positives to a change:

-G&F still gets ALL of their money.

-It provides a better chance (even if minimal) to those of us waiting for a "premium" tag.

-Oh yeah, did I mention G&F still gets their revenue???

I've reaped the benefits of our current system (not for elk, though). Even then, I'm all about a waiting period!

Yes, its MY CHOICE to apply for difficult hunts to draw. But it is for my neighbor down the street as well who raked in his 4th or 5th archery bull tag in a row for a premium unit again this year. Guess his two 380+ bulls in a row weren't "enough".

Once again, most who don't want the system to change are those who either reap the benefits of it or feel they're entitled a permit based on past success. Neither a reasonable thought process, imo.....

Waaahhhh!!!!

i went 8 yrs no tag always put in7w and thats all. 9years ago had 6 pts. and put cow hunt 5th choice and drew 22s. did not want that to happen again. wife said i would get drawn if i put the kids in with me which made avg. 5 pts for draw. Thank AZGFD for making her right :angry: . now i have to listen to it rest of year :P . My cousin has drawn this 7w tag 3 years in a row 1 pts. :angry: Oh well we have 5 tags to fill

I know a Guy that has drawn unit 27 archery tags 14 out of 16 years whats up with that and u think the system is fair.

3. All I ever apply for is MZL hunts because I got tired of waiting for a tag.

Worst of all NONE of the people I hunt with got drawn, NONE!

Now what the he!! am I supposed to do!!!

:ph34r:

I have been drawn for bull elk three years in a row.

WHO CARES!!!

:lol:

Enjoy,

detox

+1