Sign in to follow this  
Shiras

Crossbow controversy

http://www.bowsite.com/BOWSITE/features/articles/pysummit/

This is part commentary and part opinion seeking.

I was just on the website I have posted about bowhunters against crossbows. I personally shoot a recurve, and am on the opposite end of the spectrum of understanding the thought of really calling it BOWhunting. Maybe "Assisted-bow enhancment" or something like that. Albeit, not bowhunting per se, these people are out hunting with about the same handicap for an ethical shot as a compound hunter, minus the draw and hold (a big factor).

This is my humble opinion. ALL of us who hunt should build one another up. Do we criticize someone because he ONLY goes out during a certain season (like here in Oklahoma)? What about the smokepole hunter? He certainly doesn't receive the scorn the crossbow hunter does. His limit far exceeds the crossbow hunter. And are we to ostracize the rifle hunter for his upper end being 500 yards?

The main concern is that they are out there during "bowhunting season" with a crossbow. SO WHAT! You mean to tell me if YOU had a completely disabled arm, you wouldn't take advantage of this? And even if not, if this is the only thing that got you into hunting, that would be a bad thing?

There are certain limits and restrictions in each state to bowhunting, I understand. Disability being the main cause. That means that they can't be out there too? I think this is ludicrous and a detriment to our sport. Let the law abiding folks (meaning those that are disabled and not disabled, depending on what state they live in) partake in the heritage of hunting. Not bogged down in the politics of what may give an edge or whatever. At the end of the season I could guarantee the crossbow kills would make barely a dent on the harvest report. It's not THAT advantageous.

I suppose the most important issue here is that we are fighting among ourselves. There are much more potent enemies that don't want us using crossbows, longbows, muzzleloaders OR rifles, such as PETA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If any of you would like to respond, I would love love to read it. I just cannot see why people are so offended be this. Maybe I am in the dark about some evil conspiracy the crossbow hunters have against the "rest of us".

Enlighten me. -Shiras

My father fell off a ladder a few years back and totally disabled his left shoulder (cant draw a bow). being an avid bow hunter he could no longer do what he loved. It took 5 doctor exams and a ton of paper work (after a year and a half of recovery) for game and fish to think about giving him permission to hunt with a cross bow. it took another 6 months before he was allowed. I dont think it is wrong to use a cross bow under cirsumstances like that. I am against people who are not truly disabled ( in arizona atleast) who are granted acess to use a cross bow. I think it should not take as long as it does to be allowed to use them if you are truly disabled. but thats just my opinion on the situation.

well the permit says ARCHERY ONLY and that is what it should be, nothing against disabled hunters but if you create a gray area a lot of people would take advantage of it.

well the permit says  ARCHERY ONLY and that is what it should be, nothing against disabled hunters but if you create a gray area a lot of people would take advantage of it.

I agree with ultramag. Thats why they have a general hunt, you can hunt with any legal weapon for that species. Archery should be for hand drawn bows only.

I also agree that Archery Only should not be included with crossbows. I think the disabled should take advantage of the general hunts. Too me it's comparable to a rifle being used on a muzzloader hunt.

I used one for a hunt a couple years ago, but I used it on the HAM javilina hunt. I think they are just too darn heavy to carry around.

I was hunting in unit 33 last year and glassed up a nice 4x4 mule deer bedded with about 12 does in a little cut. I started to make a stalk and after closing the distance to about 200 yards, I see the deer get up and hall butt over a ridge. I make my way over to the ridge and start glassing to see if I can see them, out of nowhere I see this hunter come up right where the deer went over and he has a crossbow. I tell him those are illegal and and he says no they are not there is a season on for bowhunters (this is December archery hunt of 2004) we part ways and leave.

Please for give me for asking but people who are disabled are the only ones that can hunt with these weapons?? Is this true?? The hunter that I encountered did not look to be disabled.

Laws is laws. And we gotta obey them. When you see someone taking an unfair advantage by not obeying the law, report them.

If you think there should be a crossbow season, then do what you can to get one started. meanwhile if you see a guy with a crossbow during a bow season - report him to the authorities. If he is handicapped and entitled to hunt with a crossbow then the Wildife Manager can sort it out.

If you see a guy hunting with a broken whiskey bottle, get as far away from him as you can. It's probably Lark. He may have drunk all that whiskey and he is known for doing strange back-woods things and getting real mean when he drinks.

Mike

what i'm saying is don't hammer on folks for hunting. if it's legal, fine. bowhunters don't like rifle hunters and vice versa. some longbow guys don't like compounds. strictly "traditional". some flintlock and cap and ball guys don't like inline shooters. there are too many folks out there that don't like any of us, for hunters to get split up in little groups. if a crossbow is legal, fine. tell the guy you see with one, "good deal". as long as they're huntin', i don't care. i think guys that hunt over bait or salt or from a nice warm "blind" are little odd, but i'm on their side. Lark.

Sage advice from .270. We all need to stick together. I too have an old PSE crossbow that I have had for twenty years. It's a blast to shoot, but would not carry it during the bow season even if I could. I have used it during rifle javelina season and bustin yotes. I don't begrudge anyone using their chosen weapon as long as it is capable of a humane kill and they are proficient with it. My personal belief is that the crossbows should only be used during rifle season or by someone with a handicap that would preclude them from using a stick or compound bow. Whoever said that the crossbow has the same limitations as a regular bow is right on. You still need to judge yardage and I would not shoot mine at an animal out past around 60 yards. The ony difference being that you don't have to hold the bow at full draw and worry as much about your release. (though those are the 2 biggies in compound/stickaccuracy in my book). Once again, just my 2 cents

trufletch

The biggest difference, as was mentioned earlier, is getting your draw with a bow as opposed to not having to get your draw with a crossbow. That is huge! Giagantic!!

Good point Lark. It seems the further we get into the future, the more people get polarized. Harleys vs. crotch rockets; gays vs. straights; tree huggers vs. lumber people; republicans vs. democrats, and on and on and on.

Can't we all just get along?!

Mike