I ran out to scout for fishin' holes this evening and got distracted by the sight of indian ruins up on top of a mountain. I started up the mountain with a big stick to poke in each bush just certain I'd find a snake but never found one thankfully! One thing I didn't count on was runnin' into bees! I came around a small rock ledge and right into a swarm of upset bees! Luckily the wind was blowing hard up there and I only got stung twice as I ran screaming like a girl up the mountain! :ph34r: :( After my "near death" experience I started taking pics of all the cool Indian art which seemed like it was on every rock! There was pottery shards everywhere and the entire mountain was layered in old walls that have since been knocked over. Ancient remnants from the past are always cool to see, figured i'd share the photos with ya, enjoy. JIM>

Indianart9.jpg

Indianart8.jpg

Indianart7.jpg

Indianart6.jpg

Indianart5.jpg

Indianart4.jpg

Indianart3.jpg

Indianart2.jpg

Indianart1.jpg

Indianart.jpg

Indianart17.jpg

Indianart16.jpg

Indianart15.jpg

Indianart14.jpg

Indianart13.jpg

Indianart10.jpg

And only because I was excited to photograph something alive, here ya go....

Indianart11.jpg

Indianart12.jpg

Very nice pics! I know how you were feeling with the bees!! This last January i was stalking a great 180+ desert muley and while waiting him out in a rock pile i somehow aggrivated a hive of bees that were right below me!! I freaked out but only got stung once in the hand...but the stalk was over! :(

Now that is some good stuff right there. I can just imagine the indians writing on them rocks. What a library. Thanks for sharing Jim. :)

TJ

Now that is SUPER COOL!!! What a find. There's a spot where I lilke to quail hunt where it seems there are always some rattlers hanging around. Well, turns out there are also pictographs very similar to those you posted, that depict people with swollen hands and snakes all around. Kinda makes you wonder about these places we drive by all the time. Have the snakes been denning up in the same area for a thousand years, and the ancient people marked the surrounding rocks as a warning? Pretty cool indeed.

Great pics Jim! A person could spend hours there 'reading the rocks'. Very nice find!!!

Sweet find Jim! Too bad that the bees were there since it looks like you could kill some serious hours snooping around that site.

AWESOME Jim!! I love seeing that stuff!! Great find. And yet again we have another story where Jim is "running and screaming like a girl"!!! Man up dude!! LOL!! Glad you didn't get stung worse by the bees :)

Amanda

Really cool drawings.

One of my biggest fears while out hunting is to run into a swarm of bees and get attacked. What can you do? Not too much. Usually cuss the wind but it looks to have helped you out this time!

Has anyone found a petroglyph anywhere in Arizona that looked like the early artist was trying to depict an elk?

I've seen lots of "drawings" of deer, antelope, bighorns and snakes, even rabbits and birds, on rocks all across our state, but never an elk.

Bill Quimby

Glad you guys enjoy'ed the pics!

I've always figured the drawings are of things the indians saw or experienced in their lives back then and think it's neat to interpret these drawings to get a glimpse of what they saw back then. This hill where I took these pics is where I find Gila Monsters frequently, moreso than any other place and I noticed that there are a bunch of lizard or maybe Gila Monster depictions all over the place! I would think it was a critter commonly encountered back then as well on that mountain!

Those bees had a hive in a crack under a ledge, what saved me was the wind! The wind was blowing hard on that hill and the bees that got me were clinging to my shirt and stung me through my shirt, the swarm quickly disappeared with the wind thankfully! I really didn't scream, but I did run like a girl! LOL!!!

I have never seen Elk petroglyphs either, very interesting!

Here's one of the Gila's I've seen near this mountain, you can see the mountain in the background where all my petroglyph pics were taken!

Gila9.jpg

Now that is SUPER COOL!!! What a find. There's a spot where I lilke to quail hunt where it seems there are always some rattlers hanging around. Well, turns out there are also pictographs very similar to those you posted, that depict people with swollen hands and snakes all around. Kinda makes you wonder about these places we drive by all the time. Have the snakes been denning up in the same area for a thousand years, and the ancient people marked the surrounding rocks as a warning? Pretty cool indeed.

+1 !!!

Cools stuff Jim, Thanks for taking us along. Glad to see the drawings have not been vandalized with paint too!

Very Cool Pics! I found these pig hunting this year. I wish it would have been pictures of pigs :lol: cuz we couldn't seem to find any this year??

post-1013-1270627076_thumb.jpg