rclouse79

Bullet drop compensating scope?

I am looking to buy a new scope that has marks on the recticle for different distances. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Bushnell DOA, Nikon BDC, Leupold BC, or other brand recticles? I may be able to get a deal on Bushnell products, so I am particularly interested in how its quality and performance holds up to the other brands. The price range I was looking at is up to $600. I would even go a little higher if the difference in quality was substantial. Thanks for any advice.

I have five of the Nikon BDC scopes on my rifles. I have had very good succes with them, and no problems at all. The BDC makes it much easier to determine your holdover, or lack of during the hunt. The circles are the perfect size when shooting at paper plates at long distances while practicing. If you plan to use it on a .223, take a look at there new M223 scope that is coming out soon. Here is a link to the scopes. David

http://www.nikonhunting.com/riflescopes-m-223.html

Does the Nikon have to be set at a certain magnification for the BDC marks to be accurate?

I have the nikon bdc on the buckmaster. Love it. Check out their website. They have ballistic calculators for you exact load and you can find what the approximate distance is for each reticle at different magnifications. Very good info. Josh

I was poking around on the computer and the rapid-z recticle by Zeiss looks pretty sweet as well. It seems like it would be easier to be more precise with the lines over the circles on the Nikon BDC, but I don't know for sure as I have not shot either.

The NRA magazine, July 2009 American Hunter, did a decent reticle comparison last year, The Rapid Z in the Zeiss Conquest came out best. The B&C in Leupold was good too. The Rapid Z and B&C also have windage allowances. The Nikon and Burris came in next to last. The Nikon aiming circle is 2 moa, which is a 10" circle at 500 yards, not conducive to best accuracy.

Minox has a new scope with a BDC reticle. Ask Doug at CameraLand

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/minox.pl?page=66020

You can also get the rapid z on the Pride Fowler scopes, designers of the Rapid Z

http://www.rapidreticle.com/600lr.htm

I have the Burris Signiature Series, I don't think its the best but it's worked pretty darn well. I don't care for nikon BDC Circles either, how do you hold true with an open circle?(especially when your shakin like a leaf with the fever as your aim at a big buck or bull) I chose the Burris because of the clarity and the wider angle of view compared to some nikon and bushnell. Mill dots were also to big on both brands, were Burris uses hash marks down the verticle post. I spent about the price range your in, maybe a little less and from all of the brands i looked through I felt i got the most bang for my buck with Burris.

Givin If i spent that money again, I'd go with standard crosshairs and get turrets.

Regarding the open circles on the reticles for the Nikon BDC, you can expand the circles, meaning use each mark where the circle hits the main post as a point of reference. That is what I do with mine. So instead of having 4 points of reference, I can have 13 points of reference with each magnificatioin setting (requires a bit of work to set those up). It works out better that way for me.

Concerning the clarity, I feel like the Nikon scopes offer exceptional quality, not necessarily what you'd get with Zeiss or Swaros, but close to Leupold. For the money, I think the Nikon is a great scope.

Good luck!! Lot's of options out there.

Josh

I have the nikon bdc on the buckmaster. Love it. Check out their website. They have ballistic calculators for you exact load and you can find what the approximate distance is for each reticle at different magnifications. Very good info. Josh

can you post a link? I cannot find this at all, this is the scope and set up I want.

I've been looking for a scope too. I looked at the Zeiss with the rapid Z reticle. It seemed small and hard to read. It stood out if the scope was put on a white background. I would think in low light it may not be seen clearly. I'm still leaning toward a Leupold right now.

DUG, You made a very important and valid point.

I have been on hunts where the hunter could not make out his B&C reticle under fading light.

It can literally become a nightmare scenario, especially when you are depending on that to make the shot.

The Zeiss "reticle selector" on their website is a good reference. Don't take it as a sales gimmick for their illuminated reticles, but as a real world reference to what a standard "busy" reticle (like the B&C) can become under low light.

Based on the experience I have with these scopes, I can say that they are very accurate out to 500 yards with a little time behind it. I have shot paper plates out past 400 with my .243 and all I had to do was put the circle on it. I have also shot coyotes at 400 yards with my AR. With any new scope, you need to practice and get proficient with it. Nikon also offers a reticle with a Mil-dot that I also like. I am getting ready to mount one on a shortened 22-250 for my Encore. This is going to be my sons varmint rifle. David

Have a look at the Swarovski BR (ballistic reticle). The BR set up is rated 5 out of the top ten long range hunting reticles. You can buy the 6-18x50 for $874 on this site from doug. I just bought one.

Another thing is you can go to swarovski.com and enter the information for the rifle caliber, make, model and what bullets you are shooting and it will calculate the drop for all of the hash and dots on the scope. You will then be able to print this paper and take it to the range or hunting with you.