rclouse79

Bullet drop compensating scope?

I'm tempted about that Swarovski with the ballistic turret. It's about the same money I would be dropping on a Leupold long range scope. I'm still a little short right now though.

Thanks for the link Chef. I will probably get a scope with a standard reticle and then add turrets.

I have the Leupold 4.5-14x with BC reticle and I found it very helpful out to 500 yards, the only downside is I spent about a month and half coming up with loads that matches the drop on the reticle, as of now each yardsage 200,300,400,450 are dead on while the 500 yard reticle is 6 inches high on average, but that can be counted for when shooting

Does the Nikon have to be set at a certain magnification for the BDC marks to be accurate?

All BDC scopes must be set at a certain power to be accurate, usually it is the maximum power.

I've owned the Nikon and Leupold bdc scopes. I didn't like the circles on the nikon, they were too big and left too much room for guessing/error. the small hash marks in the leupy are better in my opinion.

Thanks for all of the replies. After doing some more research I think I am going to go with the Zeiss Rapid Z-600 in a 3-9x magnification, unless someone convinces me otherwise. I think the recticle is awesome, and looks pretty user friendly. It has great reviews, and for the 3-9x conquest you are really not paying much more than you would for a Nikon monarch or a Bushnell elite. I considered going for a higher magnification, but it seems like you have to be at a magnification of between 8 and 9 depending on what bullet you are shooting for the yardage markers to be accurate. Since I will be at that magnification for any longer shots I do not see the benefit in paying $200 more for the 3.5 to 10x other than maybe the larger objective lens which would let more light in. Thanks again. . . this site rocks!

rclouse,

I think you will find the Conquest to have better optical clarity than the Burris, Nikon and Leupold. You will not gain much going from 9x to 10x. If you are going to use the BDC reticle, then chances are you will be shooting a longer range and have time to set up well, and that is where the 14x magnification may be nicer, but 9x will certainly work.

The prices on the Conquest 3-9x do make them a good value.

RR

You might want to look at vortex also. I have the Viper with bdc. I like it a lot better than the nikon. Those big circles cover up too much for me.

+1

If i wanted a less expensive drop compensating reticle id go vortex for the $. I use an older TDS swaro and want a BR reticle, but dont wanno go 3mo with out it or spend the 180$. The drop compensating reticles work great if you are hunting in about the same elevations till 600-700 IF (big if) you practice alot and know what your rig will do.

The 1" swaro doug is sellin is the best 1" tube ive looked through, lots better than most 30mms. Thats what i payed 1200 for some years back before the better BR reticle. Zeiss also offers some great glass for the money but i cant comment too much for them cuz ive spent very little time behind one

The Rapid-Z reticle from Zeiss is very nice. You should be very happy with it. Note that there is a 5mph windage bar and the end of the line is for 10mph winds.

I think your choice of a 3-9 is great. You may be lacking a little magnification on the longest shots you take, but you will more than make up for it with the lower magnification since most shots are taken much closer. Also, the smaller scope and lighter weight are much more handy in the field.

For anyone looking at a great combination of scope and ballistic turret, take a look at the Outdoorsmans Ballistic Turret. They utilize the Swarovski BR riflescope and then custom engrave a ballistic turret to replace Swarovski's.

Whatever your choice may be, give the Outdoorsmans a call at 800-291-8065.