bullwidgeon

Who's been scouting?

I have been. Seen alot of weener bucks and new fawns and finally after four days found two good ones. Neither posed for pictures but I got pretty good video of the second biggest one. The biggest one was just moving too fast and wouldn't stay in the open long enough. Anyways here are some pictures of ones that posed and a turtle I managed to almost run over in the road. Some of the pics are blurry because my autofocus was picking up swaying ocotillo limbs and not the deer.

21pointer.jpg

A little 2x1 that thought my truck looked cool. I am not sure he has ever seen a truck before, anyways he didn't act like it. I think he is a passer till about 5 PM on the last day B) .

2bucks.jpg

2 little bucks that posed out of a group of 7. None of which were exceptional. The camera wanted to take pictures of the ocotillo rather than the deer. Sometimes it acts like it has a mind of it's own.

doefawn.jpg

A doe being trailed by a fawn. The fawn is the little red thing behind the deer with it's front half in the cholla. This little thing could not have been more than a day or two old. It kept falling down while trying to follow momma.

tortuga.jpg

The tortuga who was almost flattened by a tire. The fawn crop is exceptional this year. I saw several whitetail twins and a big mulie doe with triplets. Next year there should be spikaroonies running every place :) .

Bret M.

Bret, I went out Friday into one of my Bear spots. Saw no bears even though the prickly pear put off a bumper crop of fruit this year. The reason? The oaks also put off a bumper crop of acorns and it has been my experience that bears prefer the acorns to the cactus fruit. I think we may see some bears in the cactus but most and the the biggest bears I believe will be lurking among the oak bushes. I only saw 2 Coues does on the trip also.

Scott

Brett, I was in 36b the other day and glassed a doe with a fawn about the size of the one in your pic down off of Black Mesa. I watched the fawn lay down, and snuck over there to where I saw him go down, and got within 1 foot from him frozen in place, curled up in a ball. I put my gloves on, and leaned in real slowly and lifted his rear leg up to see if it was a buck or doe. He never moved an inch! :)

Only have gotten out once in 36c and glassed seven deer, but nothing to get excited about. All about the size of the little buck in your pic.

We are going to have to cancel our bear hunt in 27 this year as well. I have to be in TX over labor day weekend. I think I'm gonna try to chase a big ol Axis buck around when I get over there.

I have been out a couple of times down in 30A and seen a few decent bucks but nothing to get too excited about. I have seen more fawns this year than I have in a long time. I have noticed the acorns and have found the whitetail and bears both munching on them but haven't gotten any to stay still long enough for the camera.

I spent some time up mt. ord last weekend, saw a few does this weekend went down to 36a lots of deer one half way decent buck (80+) nothing huge. I think I'm playing dad this weekend and next weekend hope to make it either down to 36a or 27 for opener.

I've been out a lot in unit 33, about once a week or every other week. I've seen some nice bucks and quite a few little guys. Hopefully they are still around when the season starts.

I'll be out in NM Unit 23 over Labor Day to do some scouting for a muley hunt in Nov. Will post what I see, as I know a few of you are probably hunting NM as well.

i have done some scouting for elk, but not deer because it is 300 miles away from flagstaff! have seen some nice bulls and 3 NICE carp bucks up here!

Sounds like we've all had similar experiences. I have seen some whopper elk in unit 1. Holy crap. Went out last saturday for the morning and didn't see much for deer though. I had to get back to the headquarters before mid-morning. I could hear the wife crackin' the whip down in the valley from all the way up in the hills. WHOOOTTSSSHHH!!! Not worried though. I was looking at the calendar and I have nearly every weekend booked with hunts for the next few months :)

I have been out a few times. Spending most of my time looking for new spots. The way I see it the more good spots you have the better. I don't have to spend too much time in some areas because the hunting is always good. But you never know what will happen come archery season. So I scout for new areas rather than going to the same one over and over.

Going this weekend with new map and my GPS to check on posted land (I think landowners are cheating on their boundaries and closing access to public land, BLM is already looking into some of this info I have given them). Scouting for what you all refer to as carp.

Headed out Friday to check my camera. Hopefully I will bring back some good photos. Have seen some nice bulls this year, seen 2 great big ones last Saturday. This would have been a year to have a tag I have seen alot of good bulls.