The attendance numbers are taken from tickets sold, not how many show up for the game.

I am against illegals as well, however just like the gun law Obama would love to have. If they strip our rights to have guns you know as well as I do that the criminals will still have guns. The wetbacks were illegal then, they are illegal now and will still be illegals in the future until they become legal citizens. This new bill 1070 only affects the legalized Mexican American more than anyone. Thats the whole point. You don't see illegals protesting, it's the Mexican American you see protesting to avoid be harrassed because of their ethnic background. It's called profiling whats so hard to understand. I know many of you would love it if there were no Mexicans here even if they are third or fourth generation legalized. I never knew this site was so racial. I know many people of various races that won't be back here. Why don't you ask Ernesto why he left the site for so long ? Are you guys trying to do ethnic cleansing here as well ? And as for the Suns, I think they wore them shirts in support of the Latino community.

Read the bill..... Mexican Americans I KNOW are in support of this bill and know they have nothing to fear at all. "Ethnic cleansing" WHAT A JOKE!!!!! HOWEVER, I'M IN FULL SUPPORT OF AN ILLEGALS CLEANSING.

God bless America.... I believe that taking a stand in favor of America and all of it's legal citizens is long overdue.

The attendance numbers are taken from tickets sold, not how many show up for the game.

Well, not to stir the pot but there is a "tickets sold" number and a number from the Gate for those who entered the arena. NBA teams use the latter number in an effort to determine concession revenues. More to the point though, how many folks do you guys figure stayed home with their tickets last night in protest? It's my contention it was a dang small number. At the end of the day its a Suns playoff game! Or Los Suns sorry.

I am confused why are there Mexican-Americans, African-Americans, Native-Americans and so forth if we all live in the same country and are a citizen then are we not all just an American? I am not sure why there is a need to have a different name for all immigrants? America is historically a melting pot of people and the reason that worked was because once they reached America they worked hard to learn the language and to become a citizen and once they were a citizen they were very proud to call themselves a plain ol' American. By the way if I moved to Africa would I be a African-American,or American-African. :rolleyes:

This whole thing is a joke. Our police force should of had the ability to ask for documentation of legal status years ago. Illegal is Illegal. :angry:

Lets go hunting! :lol:

This an e-mail I sent to Paola Boivin yesterday in response to her column in the Republic.

And...before anyone asks, I didn't watch the game Weds. night and don't plan to watch tonight's either. Instead, I will watch the D-Backs. :angry:

Paola,

I always enjoy reading your column and rarely disagree with your pithy comments. This time I do.

I don't think anyone begrudges Sarver or any member of the Suns for expressing their opinions. As you stated, that is certainly their right as INDIVIDUALS, just as it was the right of all those INDIVIDUALS you cited in your column today. When Smith and Carlos did their thing in Mexico City, it wasn't the American track team taking a stand, however. Likewise for Joey Cheek.

And if Michael Jordan wasn't concerned about the almighty dollar, he could have done the same thing without taking the entire Chicago Bulls organization along for the ride. In a way, though, knowing there are always two sides to controversies, Jordan was smart.

It was quite different with the Suns, however. Sarver, Kerr and the players en mass elected to inject their political views into a controversial issue in a venue where it doesn't belong. Plus, Kerr used inflammatory language with his Nazi comment, while mischaracterizing what the law actually says. But that's not too surprising. The mass media has been rampant in doing the exact same thing, despite that SB1070 basically mirrors the federal statute. The only difference between them are the penalties and allowing local police agencies to enforce the law.

The federal law already makes it mandatory for people such as Steve Nash, Leandro Barbosa and Goran Dragic to carry their "papers," and a driver's license, which requires U.S. citizenship to obtain in AZ, is all that is necessary for ID purposes. Driver's licenses from 42 other states where citizenship is required, legit travel visas and passports are also legal ID forms. Of course, no one has to worry about showing any of the ID forms UNLESS they somehow run afoul of the law.

The "human rights" issue is a red herring. Illegal aliens, by definition, are lawbreakers, and by taking sides with such in protest of a law that might help Arizona, the Suns didn't endear themselves to the vast majority of their fan base -- those who have paid a lot of money for tickets over the years, including me. I doubt too many illegals fall within that category unless Sarver allows them to sneak in and then provides them with free food and cervezas.

When Kerr went on to say, "..this is an issue that needs to be explored. So we're trying to expose it." I nearly barfed. If there is anyone in this country who didn't know about the "issue" after the last two weeks of NATIONAL media coverage, they must be numb or stranded on an uninhabited island in the South Pacific. Anyone who reads the Republic certainly knew about it since just about every reporter and editorial writer mimics the Suns cheerleaders against SB1070. So the last thing the issue needed was more exposure, especially by a bunch of millionaires living off the money contributed by their fans.

Sarver and the Suns should have worn the "Los Suns" jerseys just as they have in the past; to help celebrate the Hispanic heritage and culture in Arizona, and Cinco de Mayo gave them the perfect opportunity to do it. Adding the political aspects of SB1070 was wrongheaded. Perhaps downright dumb would be a better description.

You might have seen the abbreviated version of my letter in today's sports section, which I had sent to the opinions e-mail. The one copied below is the one I actually sent to the sports e-mail address.

Have a great weekend.

-TONY

Los Suns Should Move to Hermosillo

I attended the first-ever Suns game at the Madhouse on McDowell and quickly became an avid fan. Over the years since that introduction to the NBA, I've attended at least a dozen Suns games every year and rarely missed any of the others on TV.

That all ended when I became aware of Robert Sarver's and the Suns' intent to make a "political statement." I will no longer attend any Suns games or watch the televised ones, including in this year's playoffs. Plus, I will do all I can to NOT support any business that sponsors the Suns or the broadcasts.

Sarver, Kerr, Nash, Stern and the rest of the NBA should stick to basketball and leave the politics to the politicians. NBA fans pay ludicrous ticket prices to support ludicrous salaries for players who are supposed play basketball -- period. If the fans wish to watch and listen to political rhetoric, they can tune into CSpan.

Well said Tony!

In my opinion, I think the Suns are cutting their own throat. It is simply a ploy to keep from losing revenues from all the "Boycott" threats being made around the country. Since sports teams travel so much to play teams in other cities, they still get a revenue share, and I am sure they don't want to lose theirs becuase they are a team from the "Evil, racial profiling State of Arizona" LOL.

If you look at it in the perspective of approval rating and 70% of Arizona taxpayers approve of the new Bill. What if those same 70% of all the Arizona Suns fans boycotted the games becuase of the Suns initiative to enter their team into the political termoil. Theoretically, they just went up the creek without a paddle.

But on the flipside they may offset some of fanbase loss by recuiting new fans from the hispanic community over the new "los Suns" motif.

I work for one of the Suns sponsors and they wont let us wear our suns shirts anymore to work. We still sell their gear though.

That's weird

ESPN says that the Suns had to turn off the phones on Friday because they received at least 1700 calls in just a few hours, voicing their displeasure with Sarver and the Los Suns.

MAYBE THE LOS SUNS WILL GO TO SOUTHERN ARIZONA AND PICK UP ALL THE TRASH IN MY HUNTING AREA'S. OH AND MAYBE THEY WILL RUN ACROSS 100 ILLEGALS CARRYING BURLAP BAGS AND ASSIST THOSE GROUPS. I'M TIRED OF WORRYING ABOUT MY SAFETY AS I HUNT MY COUES DEER. NO MORE LOS SUNS FOR ME. I HEAR THE D-BACKS ARE HAVING THE SAME THING ON THEIR JERSEYS IN SEPTEMBER, BOYCOTT.

If anybody thinks these sports teams are doing this in protest over SB 1070, you are sadly mistaken.

They are doing nothing, but what they think is best, for the teams revenues!