Sign in to follow this  
CouesWhitetail

Want to help me win a video competition?

Hey All,

Many of you know that I am a wildlife biologist who does surveys for all kinds of wildlife. Those surveys can be for big game (elk, deer, sheep, etc), small game or endangered species. I do contract work for a variety of agencies (USFS, BLM, private citizens, etc) and lately much of my work has been on owl surveys. As part of the owl surveys I use what is called "mousing" to help locate a nest and young. Awhile back I started filming some of the mousing sessions and then slowed the video down and set it to music so you can see how the owls fly in and capture the mice. I think the owls are amazingly skilled at being predators and it's cool to me to watch them do what they were built to do.

Anyway, as a wildlife biologist I am a member of the national Wildlife Society. The Wildlife Society is an organization that promotes science-based wildlife management and is made up of professional wildlife biologists. Anyway, they are having a video contest this year and I submitted one of my owl videos. In order to win you have to have the highest ranking video and the most views. So if you want to help me out, go vote and watch the video. I think to vote you have to have a Youtube acct, so make sure you login and vote.

here is the link:

Enjoy!

I like it. Great video. The mice getting snagged was great. I remember seeing pics of yours of albino animals, now you had the albino mice! B)

Great video Amanda,

I sat here and wondered how long you had to wait, and how hard you had to work to get those shots; amazing.

Good luck on the competition.

It's a guaranteed winner if you could somehow convince David Attenborough to narrate it for you :lol:

pretty sweet video!

good luck winning?

kinda reminds me of some of my predator hunts where i nearly soiled myself from hawks :lol:

James

Glad you like the new avatar Bill! For those that don't know, Bill did the artwork for that logo.

And if you have not gone and watched and voted for the owl video yet, there still is time!

Amanda

Great video Amanda. I think I voted for you. I created an account and hit the like button but I was unable to comment on your video. I hope I got it right but something tells me I didn't. These computers are just to hard for me to sink in to my thick head. Hope you win! :D

TJ

Great video Amanda. I think I voted for you. I created an account and hit the like button but I was unable to comment on your video. I hope I got it right but something tells me I didn't. These computers are just to hard for me to sink in to my thick head. Hope you win! :D

TJ

I can't tell if you voted or not, but thanks for trying! I am guessing it worked ok. Not sure why you wouldn't have been able to comment though. Usually that is because you are not logged in.

if you ever do one o' them about javelinas, you could speed it up and use dueling banjos for the music. Lark.

Woo-hoo!! My video is leading in views and comments and votes. Hopefully that means I will win the competition. Thanks to all who watched and voted. I don't know how much longer they will keep the contest open.