jdub

Unit 8 Archery

I drew a unit 8 early archery bull tag (along with my wife). I haven't hunted this unit for a long time. How bad is the competition? Last year in 3a/3c there were tons of people. Every waterhole had cameras and stands. Stalking was brutual. Glassing was tough....just alot of people out there. I almost witnessed a fistfight.

I'm hoping it's not bad.

Has anyone hunted unit 8 archery it in the past couple years?

Thanks.

jdub

Last year jdub

Hello - Are you saying you had an elk tag last yr also - Sorry no help to people who are that lucky -

just kiddin - shouldnt be as bad - but there is alwys competion at waterholes - hunt the travel routes - get'm before and after water !- gary

Yes, lucky. Drew a tag this year and last. I probably won't sniff any more tags for a dozen years or so. Thanks for the input.

Depends on the year and where you hunt. There are a bunch of tanks and you should be able to find a couple to have to yourself. Traffic really decreases after the first weekend. If you only have one week to hunt, I'd suggest the 2nd week as you'll only have 1/4 of the folks and the rutting action is typically better.

good luck,

Schmitty

With 175 bull tags and 50 cow tags, you may bump into a few hunters or their helpers, but not as bad as 6A may be.

I was out there 2 weekends ago looking around for my October tag, and a tank already had 2 treestands on it.

Just go to Coleman Lake- it's so crowded, no one hunts there anymore ;)

I had the same tag last year - congratulations on drawing two tags in a row!

At every tank I checked during the hunt, I either had my picture taken or there was already someone sitting there. I chased bugles the first couple days until it all but stopped. After that, I glassed. And that's probably the best thing about Unit 8 - there are plenty of places to sit water, chase bugles, or glass. You can change it up to do whatever works best or is to your liking.

Besides the guys sitting tanks who I didn't talk to, I ran into a few hunters in the field, but they were all kind and friendly. I actually made a couple of new friends! However, I also didn't spend much time where there were other hunters. I prefer to hunt where there are fewer people even if it means there are fewer animals. If I meet anyone in those areas, they tend to be nice.

It's great that you and your wife hunt together. You both should have a great time. I was lucky enough to have my wife glassing above me when I killed my bull last year. There's nothing like sharing the hunt with family...

Unfortunately, I ran into a not so friendly hunter thinking he owned the water hole I was sitting on in unit 8 later year. And most other tanks had cameras on them as well. I just learned to adapt and find new areas with less people. Good luck, its a fun hunt especially if the rut is in full swing.

Well you are not going to not see people, its public land hunting. The major water sources seem to get hit hard on every unit I have been in. Unit 8 has enough elk to go around, so just don't get too fusterated if you wonder into people or they wonder into you. It will happen, but it doesn't mean you won't have ahcnace for a good bull.

I had that tag last year, the rut was late last year so for the first few days didn't hear any thing. Well except for the unbelievable number of people that would drive down the road, stop their quad, bugle, wait 5 seconds then start back up & go another couple hundred yards & do it again. My suggestion is to get away from the roads as much as possible & as was mentioned earlier the competition should slack off after the first we. good luck, Jed.

Best of luck jdub ,

I will be over in 5 B s with my Archery bull tag , but I hear Kipper is going to help out , I'm sure after a few long days his smell will scare everyone off LOL. You are so lucky geting a bull tag last year and a goat tag this year , plus a bull tag to boot . SWEET !

Robert

Sure wish we drew that tag this year! We just got back from a quick trip. We were able to get on some turkey's but could seal the deal. Did not hear a single bugle until this morning. They were going crazy where we were. Lots of bugles in the morning until around 9:00am. Snuck in on a nice 6pt while he was raking. Saw a few other nice bulls. Good luck, you should have a blast.

On a side note, we only saw one blind set up on a tank (although we didn't stop at a lot of tanks) we usually we see more than that.

I had the tag last year. Stands and blinds anywhere there was water. I am certain that some stands/blinds were never used the entire hunt. I heard only a few bugles during the 12 days i hunted last year. The unit received a lot of rain during August and the elk were staying away from the tanks. If it dries out they will be back using the tanks and unless the rut kicks in sitting water is the safest route.