JACK

Awsome Growth

Loookin at all of your pictures and video got me pretty anxious to do some scouting so I went this weekend. Couldn't belive how green it was and how much water is out there, and it sure looks like the horn growth is going to be pretty spetacular. I wasn't able to get any pictures or video so all I have is a story. On

Saturday I was headin to a spot we found last year when I caught some movement ahead of me. Several deer were up milling arond in the middle of the day!! I couldn't see them that clearly through the trees so I move around to get a better view and came arond a oak tree to the see the biggest non-typical buck I have ever scene feeding about fifty yards away. I all there were five bucks two little guys, two big guys and the monster. It was unbelivable to be that close to that big of a buck I got the shakes lookin at him through the binos. They didn't hang around for much more than a couple of minute and the video camera was in my pack,I tried to get in out, then they took off. I was an awsomme sight!! The two bigger bucks are around 100" and the really big one has a 110" main frame with points everywhere. I know where I will be during the next few months with my video camera in hand!! By the looks of things there are going to (and already has been ) be some great bucks taken this year!! good luck all!!

Sounds like you've got a great place to start. Best of luck to you.

Wow Jack you really need to get some video of that big monster!! What a find.

I've been out and located one big buck. I took some video of him from about 700 yards out. The video is not the best and the still photo from the video is even worse but that's all I have right now. My Leica camera is down and I'm franticaly working to get a new camera. Anyway, here's the best photo of that buck. He is big, going well over the 100 inch mark. Other than that I can't tell, he was just too far out.

Scott

Big_CouesIII.jpg

Looks like alot of bone :D

Someone needs to put a tag on that brute so we can see him up close.

It amazes me how smart these big boys are! You notice how he lays so that he even looks like the two big rocks to his left and the one to his right! Talk about camo!

:ph34r:

Scott that looks like a toad great find! I didn't think I was going to see a bunch of

deer up feeding in the middle of the day so I didn't have my camera out. Learn something new everyday I guess. going to be puttin in a lot of hour down there!!

It sounds like the early wet weather helped out the antler growth a lot this year. Maybe that is why the bowhunters from the site have been doing so well with the big ones reported.?

Last weekend I saw quite a few deer in unit 27 but unfortunately, most of them were mule deer. That said, there were several that were very impressive- I would have to agree that antler growth this year is above average. They are still growing too!

Thought I would give you guys an update on the big buck who's photo is posted here. I've been into the area three more times since I took the video and have not been able to locate that big rascal. I have found the other 2 bucks, one of which will probably go in the 90's when it's all said and done. My next step is to setup a trail camera on the spring and see if he's using it, and I'll keep making some trips in there every week or two to continue my search.

Looks like this one is going to be a real challenge. Like a lot of older class mature bucks, this one acts like he's a different animal. He doesn't hang with the guys like most bucks this time of year, I know the other two bucks gave him lots of room when they watered together at the spring. He's definitely not using the same grazing grounds or if he is, he's doing it at night. Anyone have any other suggestions? Anything I might have missed?

Scott

Keep us posted on that TOAD.

I need more pics for my coues fix :P