Ernesto C

How will you make this shot?

id pass i havnt practiced enough (too far) to windy(for most) in my ignorant opinion. 25mph wind where the shooter sits. Who knows whats gonna happening at the bullet path. Unless your job is shooting at stuff reguardless of conditions, ie sniper, very few should even try. In the end if any doubt arises pass and try being a hunter by getting closer and not just a shooter.

:ph34r:

450 isn't that far if you practice a lot. 25mph is a lot. Thats why you shoot heavy high BC bullets. Im shootin but If i know that 25 mph is regular Id see if i could ge some practice time in befor then. Im gonna need more than 18" even with high BC bullets id say 30-32".

Im gonna need more than 18" even with high BC bullets id say 30-32".

My 18" reference was for a 300 yd shot in a 25mph wind (I feel that is a doable shot for me)

According to a ballistic chart I would need 36" at 450 yds in a 25mph wind (never practiced that so not gonna do it)

No wind I would take it because I have practiced out that far. In 25 mph wind no way. It might 25 there but whats it doing in between. Is it south wind there and west wind in between. Temps make a big difference also because the air maybe sinking or rising.

I agree with most everyone not to take the shot. If you can't get closer he lives to see another day. in 25 MPH I would be very cautious even at 200 yards.

I’ll add my two cents, even though it isn’t worth much based on my experience 

The coues I shot last year (my first hunt) was at 405 yds with a slight (and I mean slight) cross wind from right to left. It was easily my longest shot ever even attempted. I used my brother-in-laws gun (300 RUM on turrets with a swaro scope. Not sure on the scope, but I could basically see the deer’s snot) and had only really used it previous to help sight it in and take some practice shots, all at 100 yds or less. So, I agree that if you have the right equipment, the shot isn’t that far. Especially with turrets, I just turned the dial and held it slightly to the right of where I wanted to hit him. The wind on this shot, that would take it out of the question for me, even with that gun.

I have since purchased a Weatherby 270 with a Leupold VXIII and wouldn’t even attempt the shot I made last year with that gun (yet). My max is probably going to be 250-300 with no significant wind.

i would take the shot> hold 500yrd pin and hold at mid belly. ive shot in bout 10 to 15mph wind and made a shot at 900yrds 2nd shot. a lot of times the distance help cause they cant make out whats going on so i believe u would have another shot if u miss and with a good spotter u could make the adjustment> I have taken 2 whitetails over 600 yrds and last 700 one shot>For all others say another day, maybe and maybe not. shoot ur rifle and know ur rifle.

7mm

140grain

64grain imr4350

vxiii 6.5 to 20 varmit reticals up to 600yrds

Young buck hit the nail on the head. High BC bullets are the way to go. For the purpose of this senario, high BC meening above .700. For the most part, this is 338 or 375 territory with the 30 cal 240 grain SMK being over .700 and possibly one or two 7mm bullets. That said, if I were carrying my 308 I would PASS on the shot for sure due to the 36" of drift. If I were carrying my 338 Edge, I would take the shot as even with a 10 MPH error, the bullet would still strike the kill zone. Better yet, set up for the 1.1 Mil of wind and hold 8" from the very rear most part of the lungs. If I were spot on, it would be a forward lung hit. If the wind slowed down to 15 MPH during the shot, it would be a rear lung shot. If it hit 35 MPH during the shot, it would be a shoulder shot. This is a very forgiving margin for error. The 300 grain SMK will drift just under 18" at 450 yards in 25 MPH wind at 6000' ASL. This is pretty managable. This will be 7" in either direction for a 10 MPH mis-judgment. I can live with that. With the forgiving nature of a bullet approaching .800 and the energy unleashed by it's impact, this is a managable shot.

I would dial up 18" (11 clicks) and use the very left edge of the 1st lefthand Mil and aim 8" in from the rear of the lungs. In short, I would dial the elevation and use a Mil hold off for the wind.

5.5-22x50 NXS, custom 338 Edge, 300 SMK's over 89.5 of H1000 at 2725 FPS. 18" of drop, 18" of drift, 1 dead ram. He is big enough for me. :)

Very interesting posts from every one. I notice that on this scenario there is not one right answer but several right ones.

Some choose not to shoot cause of the wind, some cause of the distance, some would try to get closer, some cause he's not big enough etc. All this decisions were honest an none of them a bad one.

A conclusion after those decisions is that practice, practice and more practice will make us better shooters and the ability to know our guns and became one with it. Also optics play a very importat role. Amanda said that maybe with a Swaro scope she will take that shot. So the moral here is: BUY THE BEST SCOPE YOU CAN GET to improve accuracy and minimizing the chance for error.

Bullet weight is VERY important on this scenario. We all know heavier bullets will have less wind drift but since we never know how windy is going to be....what will be the ideal bullet weight?

I'm a little sorprised with 308Nut statement when he said the he would not take the shot with his 308 caliber. 308's if I'm correct shoot a 180 gr bullet wich is heavy (on my book). Not that the shoot cant be made...he just feels more comfortable with 240 grain bullet.

I had this scenario several years ago with a coues buck in Sonora. 450 yards across the canyon with a 25mph wind. Great hunter Danny Howard asked me - Can you make it? I can make a 450 yard shot I said but I really dont know with this wind. I ended up getting closer to the buck (150 yard shot) and droped with a 270 cal.

Thanks every one............Ernesto C

With a 25mph wind at 450yards (assuming that's consistent from muzzle to meat) that's about 6 MOA or about 2'4" for my rifle. Nah, I'd have to sneak in closer.

Gotta get closer. 300 yd, yes but wind needs to be fairly steady...

300 win mag 12x scope solid prone or seated tripod rest.

hold off 18" left of shoulder and top of back.

It's all physics but 350 would be my stopping point in wind like that...

Guest Bandido

It really bothers me to see people out in the field trying to find a wounded animal. Poor training, judgement, and self control makes for a poor and irresponsible outdoorsman. I understand that sometimes sh*t happens but we should not help it along. I pretty much know my limitations - no shot. The wind changes everything. I shoot a Rem 700 .243 open sights. :ph34r:

1. If that bighorn is as tame as they are in NM, then just walk right in close and take the shot at 100 yards. It wouldn't matter if he has already seen you.

2. For me a 450 yard shot in that wind would be too far. I would sneak in closer.

Absolutely try to get closer. After all, is that what hunting is all about. Making a connection with your quarry, trying to outsmart it, and then make a clean ethical kill. If the stalk is blown, so be it. We need to think back to the days when all we had were 9 power scopes and no range finders. We relied on our hunting skills, not our high tech equipment. Glad to see most people said no shot.

Elevation is easy, 4.5.

Assuming passing is not an option... twirl for the 25 mph, 4.25.

Hold high shoulder. He's level so if you muffed the wind call you're still going to spine him.

Dead ram.