clb

Jaguar from az

Very neat. I wonder if anyone has any other specifics about this cat - male? female? Government agent or sport trapper? Few females were reported from this country, especially during the 1900's. Thanks for posting!

Very neat. I wonder if anyone has any other specifics about this cat - male? female? Government agent or sport trapper? Few females were reported from this country, especially during the 1900's. Thanks for posting!

Nearly all of the legal kills of jaguars in Arizona are listed in the Arizona Wildlife Federation's record book. My copies are in Tucson and I'm in Greer, but I would suspect this cat in in them. "Caught" to me means it was hunted with dogs.

Bill Quimby

Not try to jump on you... but there is no such thing as a "Sport Trapper"... it is a way of life and was a winter time living to many families including mine (during my childhood)... there was no "sport" about it just hard work and one of the best management tools ever used... many a hard miles each and every day... I miss those days and am very sad that I never had the chance to share with my boys the great memories and tradition of trapping, to the misconception that is was a "cruel sport".... so, I'm sorry for the rant and highjcak... but the words "sport" and trapping should not be placed together in any sentence... ;)

Thank you for posting the picture!!!! Awesome!!! I am obsessed with these spotted cats... and only wish I was born a 100 years ago, for I will never have an opportunity to hunt one in my lifetime.... :(

Coues'n'sheep - I just meant to differentiate between depredation killing and fur harvest. I too, actually, have trapped many seasons (and continue to do so) as a means of earning extra money, paying for school, etc... and completely agree that it's hard work and a way of life for some. The hardest work I've ever done in fact, but a labor of love. I hope you'll admit, as a trapper, that learning about animal behavior, sign, and just plain being outside all serves as a form of enjoyment/entertainment/education. No offense intended, I just think some ways of making a living can also be enjoyable too. Sorry your trapping days are over... and I'm with you, born 100 years too late.

neat old picture for sure! Thanks for posting

Sweet Jaguar! That makes four photos of jaguars I've seen from this southwest area. This one, Macho B, one off of the San Carlos Reservation, which was I think the last jaguar harvested in Arizona, and one I got a copy of about a decade ago. I used to play soccer in a Hispanic league, and a large percentage of its players were undocumented from Mexico, Central, and even South American countries. I used to bring a soccer clipboard out to the games and had some of my hunting pictures on it along with various plays I wanted to try. One of the players saw a mountain lion photo I harvested and mentioned that his uncle had shot one like that down in Mexico on the ranch he lives on, but that it had spots on its body. I immediately thought of a young lion in my mind and asked if he had any pictures it. He siad he had two pictures and brought them out to one of our next games; and low and behold it was indeed a small jaguar! So much for the Endangered Species Act! We can obey the laws in our country to protect certain species, but we really have no control over what other people do in their own boarding countries. I don't even know if Mexico has game laws or if they signed on to protect jaguars or not. However, I'm sure that the common poor rancher down south has no idea of any such legislation and even if he did..would it matter to him? He would do whatever it takes to protect his livelihood and eliminate threats to his family economy.

This post is meant in no way to criticize our neighbors, its just a simple comment to point out the reality of legislation versus survival in a rugged world.