I know its a long shot but does anyone have any loads they have worked up for a 25-35. I am wanting to use the 117gr bullet. I have some data but just wanted to see if anyone has a good load they are willing to share. Thanks for reading.

Not many people load that anymore, rifles - or should I say reasonably priced ones - are not very available so it doesn't get a lot of use nowadays. I would love to put one in my safe. Good luck on your search, I think you may have to hit a manual or two.

if your .25/35 is an old lever action it might be twisted pretty slow and have a hard time shooting the bigger bullets straight. the hornady and hodgon books usually all have loads for a .25/35 in them. have fun. Lark.

I've tried to come up with a load, but over the years, have just bought all the 25-35 ammo I see 'just because'. I once wrote to Winchester and asked them what to use to match their factory specs. Been so long ago, I don't remember what they said, but when I tried it, it didn't seem to work well. (Must have been their secret ingrediant)

Thanks guys. I have all the manuals and will start there. I was just wondering if anyone on this site had a load they were fond of. Ya Lark it is a older 1894. My great grandfather on my grandmothers side bought it around 100 years ago to carry as his saddle gun on his ranch in New Mexico. Then he sold it to my great grandfather on my grandpas side before my grandpa and grandma were married. Its been in my family the whole time. My dad and uncle both took there first deer with it. As far as the 117gr bullets it has always seemed to shoot them fine. I have not done a lot of shooting with it as its more of a heirloom. But I will do some shooting with it and see how it does with the bigger bullets. My goal is to take a carp with it one day sense everyone else in my family has. My grandpa would get a lot out of seeing it in action one more time before his days are over. Hes 92 and that gun means a lot to our family. Thanks again for the replies!!!!!

This is the first time I have heard of anyone else owning a 25-35. As you said your grandparents owned it then , well my grandmothers favorite gun was her 25-35 .She shot many Texas hill country wt with it .A few years ago she gave it to me with 10 boxes of bullets and all are 117gr. I check the price of bullets at the gun shows and find most are around 30 dollars a box. The boxes of bullets she gave me still have the old sale stickers on them and all are under 3 dollars a box. Does the gun have a octogon barrel or smooth round barrel.Might be nice to see some pics of some older guns people on this sight own. I will get it and a couple other guns that have been past down to me from my family a post some pics of them.

i was at the gunshow today and saw some 25/35 reloads. also got a smokin' deal on a model 94 .30/30. then had at least 10 guys try to buy it from me. Lark.

Try a 117-grain Hornady Round Nose over 25.0 grains of IMR 3031 with W-W cases and Winchester Large Rifle Primers, or 28.0 grains of IMR 4320 with the same components. I have been using the latter for almost 25 years, mostly because I use IMR 4320 with other cartridges too. Either is accurate in my flat-band 1894 or my 1893 Marlin, and both have accounted for a few deer as well as a couple of lions way up in the top of Chihuahua pines. As always, start about ten percent lower and work your way up in your rifle. The .25-35 is a great saddle gun and the one that I pack most on horse or mule back. It has accounted for way more coyotes than it should have with open sights and scampering targets.

on 24hourcampfire there is a section on lever rifles if you want more responses. neat gun. i would think any of to popular 30/30 powders would work good. 748, 3031, varget, re-15.

Double check to make sure its not Black Powder!!!!!!! I have a few of them with two pre-smokeless so be careful of this. The 25/35 is one great little round I will look through reloading my stuff and send you what I have found on both black powder and smokeless. Glade to see you wanting to use your 94 it is so cool to take game with a 100 + year old rifle.

Happy Hunting

If it's a Model 94 Winchester, they were all designed for smokeless powder. Some of the early Marlin Model 1893s were not. If it's a Marlin and the barrel says "Special Smokeless Steel", it will be fine with smokeless powders--these were manufactured from 1907 onward. The early Marlin 93s were marked .25-36 Marlin which is the same cartridge as the .25-35. If you have one of those, I would recommend that you take the rifle to a gunsmith and have a chamber cast made as some of the chambers were oversized for some reason. I had one of the early "Special Smokeless Steel" rifles that had an egg-shaped chamber and I had to have the barrel set back and re-chambered.